Making Proxy Files and Syncing Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Beale

Making Proxy Files and Syncing Audio

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Been trying to look for an answer all morning. New to proxies and syncing. Hoping to figure this out so I can do it right.

-Project was shot on a Blackmagic URSA Mini. I'll be editing in Adobe Premiere CS6.

Here's my plan right now:

-Open all the media in Davinci Resolve.
-Transcode to ProRes 422 Proxy file.
Can I sync the audio to the video in Davinci Resolve before I transcode/export the media for proxy? Or do I sync the audio to the proxy file in Adobe? Does it matter? I just want to make sure there's no complications when the media goes back online for color and final export.

Hope that makes sense. Thank you!

Willian Aleman

Re: Making Proxy Files and Syncing Audio

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 12:32 am

I have done lots of waveform and manual syncing in DR12.
Rendering through the Delivery page never has been an issue in the processed media outside DR.
I haven't done any roundtrip using proxy, but I believe the sound still attached to the video in the way back.
Since you are going out of DR and back to it, I think the the best workflow would be to sync in DR first.

I would try to make a test first with two to four shots and synced sound before going into the entire sequence of the project.
Willian Aleman
Digital Imaging Technician
New York City
USA
Always willing to travel

Mike Beale

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 am

Thank you. I will try that.

Robert Arnold

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 am

I just did something like this and it took me a bit to figure it out. The key is that you can't just manually sync the audio on the timeline, or Resolve will export the picture without audio. Use the "Auto-Sync Audio Based on Timecode and Append Tracks" command (assuming matching timecode) to add the audio tracks to the video, THEN throw them onto a timeline and render them out.

Willian Aleman

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:I just did something like this and it took me a bit to figure it out. The key is that you can't just manually sync the audio on the timeline, or Resolve will export the picture without audio. Use the "Auto-Sync Audio Based on Timecode and Append Tracks" command (assuming matching timecode) to add the audio tracks to the video, THEN throw them onto a timeline and render them out.

When doing it manually, we are suppose to use the waveform audio window to sync the sound to the picture, not the Timeline. I recently synced a 1 hour, 50 minutes film using this method. it's laborious, but it works.
Willian Aleman
Digital Imaging Technician
New York City
USA
Always willing to travel

Mike Beale

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 2:36 am

What is syncing audio to the timeline? The few times I've done syncing, I just make a new clip by creating In points in both the video and audio clip and then merging them. Is that a no no?

Thanks for the help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve