Resolve 14 bugs - Color processing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Early

Resolve 14 bugs - Color processing

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I've compiled a list of bugs I've found in Resolve, some minor, others not so much. The list began in V12 and will be updated periodically. It's rather long so I've broken it down into sections. System specs are as follows:

Mac Pro 2013, 2xD700, 64GB RAM, 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 2xEizo C230 display (1920x1080), OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite, Decklink 4K Extreme running Desktop video 10.5.4 (can't install 10.7 because apparently it breaks FCP7), Resolve Studio 12.5.5

MBP2016, OSX 10.12.4, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB, Resolve Lite 14b3

Color Processing

1. Use S-Curves for Contrast – the adjustment is still linear if adjusting to values below 1.00. This cannot be intended surely?? I mean, this happened pre-12.5 but I thought this option being added would bring a solution.

2. If I set Color Science to ACEScc or ACEScct, then even if I have the input transform match the output transform (and even if I have both set to No Transform), then generators will still have some kind of transformation applied. The exact transformation applied is entirely dependent on the Output Transform setting though.

3. [UPDATE - irrelevant now that DaVinci ACES has been removed] If I set Color Science to ACES, then lowering shadows or midtones (either via the Lift/Gamma control or custom curves) will boost any highlights that are around 80IRE or above. Similarly, boosting shadows/midtones will lower any highlights above 80IRE. This does not happen when in ACEScc.

4. ACES/ACES cc do NOT like composite modes. Artefacts with out of limits areas in ACEScc, clipping below 100% in ACES and increasing highlights can have a wrapping effect on the waveform, creating banding. The following works even if no transformation is applied in the Color management tab of Project Settings: put a grayscale in a timeline, and make it into a compound clip so it can be graded. Then in the Color page make 2 nodes in serial, then a layer node for a third. Put the Layer Mixer node into Softlight, and then gradually increase the highlights on the first node to see what I mean.

5. [deleted]

6. The anchor points in the Custom Curves controls are wrong. Take a grayscale image, create a compound clip so it can be graded, and then use Custom Curves to raise the bottom anchor point all the way to the top. Observe in the Waveform monitor that it is now at 100%. Reset the grade, and now lower the top anchor point all the way to the bottom. Note that it does NOT go all the way down to 0! The result is even worse if you use the invert the curve by raising the bottom anchor point to the top at the same time (an identical result to using the YSFX slider to invert the curve). Now though, with the curve inverted, move the right-hand anchor point (now at the bottom) a little to the left. It IS possible to get the curve back to 0. Very odd! Another test is to reset the grade, add an anchor point anywhere in the curve, and increase its value. Observe how the grayscale is now actually CLIPPING at the top end!!! Luckily this does not also apply to the shadows when lowering the control point. Lastly, I don’t know if this is a bug but it needs fixing anyway – reset the grade and add a control point to the middle of the curve. Either increase or lower it. Note that the curve has a slight kink at both the top and bottom anchor points both in the interface and the Waveform monitor, creating an imperfect curve to the grade. This is fixable by enabling splines and manipulating them at the top and bottom so that curve bends uniformly, but this should happen automatically!

7. This last one is another biggie. Take a grayscale image, and create a compound clip so it can be graded. Create 3 serial nodes. In the last one, raise the shadows and lower the highlights so they are on 20%/80% respectively (the exact numbers don’t really matter). Now in the first node, raise the highlights so that overall they are back on 100%. Onto the 2nd node, and alternately raise and lower the Gamma control – observe how the curve transforms uniformly (the lowering of the highlights when Gamma is raised is expected, and interesting when compared to earlier observations with ACES, though in that instance the shadows controls provided the same response whereas they do not here). Now reset nodes 1 and 2, and in node 1 lower the shadows so they sit on 0%. Again in node 2, alternately raise and lower the Gamma control…… That kink should NOT be there!!! What this experiment has done is to create out-of-bounds values that are later brought back within bounds. It shows that values below 0 are not being handled properly, which will have a negative impact on the grade of any image where sub-blacks are created that are later brought within bounds. Just how negative this impact will be dependent on how far the grade is pushed at each stage of course, but it is worth noting (and fixing!). On a possibly related note, setting Color Science to ACEScc or ACEScct, any ODT, ACES version 1.03 shows a kink in the shadow curve when viewed on a grayscale (much stronger in ACEScct).
Last edited by Tom Early on Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Antoine Grasset

Re: Resolve 12.5 bugs - Color processing

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 1:10 am

First, thanks a lot for your extensive and detailed bug reporting !

Bugs #6 and #7 are confirmed on my system. Pretty serious if you ask me.

BMD, please note that this inconsistency had already been reported in february :
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44415

Tom Early

Re: Resolve 14 bugs - Color processing

PostSun May 28, 2017 7:50 pm

8. If Color Science is set to either ACEScc or ACEScct in the Master Project Settings, then adding saturation using any method will clamp the image. Note that this is not the case if simply using ACEScc/cct OFX Color Space Transforms in the Color page in Resolve 14.

9. [UPDATE: RCM is technical, ACES is artistic] Why does RCM not match ACES for the same transformations? Tested on ungraded clips. Mostly concerned about DCI X’Y’Z’ and P3 D65 conversions.
Last edited by Tom Early on Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Marc Wielage

Re: Resolve 14 bugs - Color processing

PostMon May 29, 2017 1:04 am

Tom Early wrote:Now reset nodes 1 and 2, and in node 1 lower the shadows so they sit on 0%. Again in node 2, alternately raise and lower the Gamma control…… That kink should NOT be there!!! What this experiment has done is to create out-of-bounds values that are later brought back within bounds. It shows that values below 0 are not being handled properly, which will have a negative impact on the grade of any image where sub-blacks are created that are later brought within bounds. Just how negative this impact will be dependent on how far the grade is pushed at each stage of course, but it is worth noting (and fixing!).

This is a good list.

I have noticed some "unlinear" results when you start tweaking a correction downstream and you discover that upstream (prior to those corrections) something is crushed. I think the 32-bit range of Resolve can only go so far, and if you make sure that every single node is not crushing or clipping anything, it will give you the freedom to create "smoother" looks without any hiccups. The moment I see anything choking like this, I automatically know something earlier in the chain -- often a custom curve -- is cranking on the signal too hard.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve