Text in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean Lowen

Text in Resolve

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 7:06 pm

I was making some lower thirds today, and the person I am working with asked me to skew/tilt the text by 20 degrees. After some futzing around and some searching online, I could not figure out a way to do this, except for skewing the text in a different program (like Inkscape), saving a png of the text, and importing it into Resolve.

Does anyone know of a better solution? Are there any free OpenFX plugins that would work? Is it in the works to create more titling functionality?

Thanks!
-Sean

JPOwens

Re: Text in Resolve

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Sean Lowen wrote:the person I am working with asked me to skew/tilt the text by 20 degrees.

do you mean, like.... italics ?

jPo

Willian Aleman

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 11:53 pm

I believe In DR, Timeline>Inspector< there is a parameter that does exactly this. I'm not at the studio at the moment, but meanwhile give it try.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 7:18 am

Willian Aleman wrote:I believe In DR, Timeline>Inspector< there is a parameter that does exactly this. I'm not at the studio at the moment, but meanwhile give it try.

Only Italic font selection. No Skew in Inspector.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 am

Correct. Text graphics in Resolve are very, very primitive at best. It's nostalgic for me, because it's kind of like running a 1980 Vidifont graphics generator. But it's not too hip in 2016.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leslie Wand

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:40 am

yep, had more fun with an aston / chyron... but then again, i wouldn't want bm to waste their resources on titling when there's ps or any number of 3rd party solutions.

my first hope is for better numerical input - getting tired of huge jumps using mouse, pen, etc.,
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Chris Duncan

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:06 am

Leslie Wand wrote:yep, had more fun with an aston / chyron... but then again, i wouldn't want bm to waste their resources on titling when there's ps or any number of 3rd party solutions.

my first hope is for better numerical input - getting tired of huge jumps using mouse, pen, etc.,

Don't mean to go too far off topic, but I was searching for a way to move to a position by typing in timecode earlier this week and couldn't find any way to do so. Is this what you're talking about, or am I just missing where it is?
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

Tom Early

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 am

Chris Duncan wrote:
Leslie Wand wrote:yep, had more fun with an aston / chyron... but then again, i wouldn't want bm to waste their resources on titling when there's ps or any number of 3rd party solutions.

Don't mean to go too far off topic, but I was searching for a way to move to a position by typing in timecode earlier this week and couldn't find any way to do so. Is this what you're talking about, or am I just missing where it is?

that's not what he meant, and you can move to a position by typing in timecode already. You just type the numbers, doesn't have to be with the number pad. works in source and timeline viewers as well as the timeline and color page.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Chris Duncan

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 am

Tom Early wrote:that's not what he meant, and you can move to a position by typing in timecode already. You just type the numbers, doesn't have to be with the number pad. works in source and timeline viewers as well as the timeline and color page.

Well, that's pretty cool. Not the first time I've tried to make things harder than they were.

Thanks, Tom!
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Resolve 17.4.2

Leslie Wand

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 12:17 pm

sorry, my wife says i only talk in half sentences as well ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Chris Duncan

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Leslie Wand wrote:sorry, my wife says i only talk in half sentences as well ;-)

Being divorced, I no longer have a woman to tell me what to do. So I bought an iPhone. Now Siri tells me what to do.

It's important to have consistency in life. :)
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Sean Lowen

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for all of your help guys!

It looks like Fusion 8 has functionality for skewing/shearing text, so I might mess around with that to get the look and simple animation that I am going for.

-Sean

Marc Wielage

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 2:56 am

Chris Duncan wrote:Don't mean to go too far off topic, but I was searching for a way to move to a position by typing in timecode earlier this week and couldn't find any way to do so. Is this what you're talking about, or am I just missing where it is?

Yes, they snuck this one in awhile back. Either in the Edit page or the Color page, just type the full number in on the numeric keyboard, hit Enter, and the timeline will jump to that position. You can type "1042309" for "01:04:23:09" and it works fine. With old daVinci 2K, you could jump to timecode by typing : followed by numbers, and then frame numbers with numbers only, but that be gone.

One thing we do not have without the big panels is displaying previous corrections with the numeric keypad. For example "-3 PREVIEW" would show you the color correction 3 shots earlier. We can do 2 shots, we can do 1 shot, but that's all.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve