Advanced Control Panel Display Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Franzo

Advanced Control Panel Display Issue

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 pm

The LCD displays on our Advanced Control Panel on Linux are freezing after a few minutes of use. We just built a new system on a Z840 with Resolve 12.5.

The displays update properly according to the controls selected in the software for about 10 minutes of use, but they "freeze" after a while. The knobs and buttons still work and their mapping changes accordingly, but the displays don't update and return to the clouds "screen saver" picture after a while as if the software isn't even open. They resume normal operation when the software is restarted, but will eventually freeze again.

We did not have this issue on another system running 11.3.1
Our panel is the old model with mechanical trackballs. Does only the new laser panel work with 12.5?

And a question for BMD - how much does it cost to trade in our panel for the new model?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Advanced Control Panel Display Issue

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 1:28 am

Hi David, please contact your local BMD office for this issue and the exchange options.

In the past we have seen panel disconnects when the USB cable/extender is not full USB2.0 certified so that might be worth checking. There is a lot more traffic on the connection compared to v11 and I don't believe v12 his any less reliable.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

David Franzo

Re: Advanced Control Panel Display Issue

PostTue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I seem to have fixed it. I think the USB extender was faulty. I swapped it out for a new one, as well as moving the license dongle from the panel to the computer. I assume that doesn't take up much bandwidth but I wanted to eliminate the possibility.

Return to DaVinci Resolve