using the camera raw and color match tabs correctly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ron Fya

using the camera raw and color match tabs correctly

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 12:07 am

Hi guys,

In resolve, I was wondering how to use correctly the camera raw tab and the color match tab (with an X-rite color checker and blackmagic raw footage for example) especially at the same time. Therefore I have the following questions.

1. For a base grade trying to get closer to “real colors”, is it correct to use both the camera raw parameters AND the color match with a color checker? Or should I use only the color checker (in theory … and maybe tweak CR a little bit)?
2. It seems the color match tab result is different if the camera raw settings are different. What is going on exactly?
3. More weirdly, if you tweak CR parameters (exposure for example) before matching, you get a different result than if you tweak them after matching. What is going on exactly?
4. How are related the color temperature in the CR tab and in the color match tab ?
5. How are related the color space and gamma choices in the CR tab and in the color match tab ?
6. How are the CR parameters different from the color wheels tab parameters (contrast, sat, color boost, shadows, highlights, midtone details, lift, gain)?
7. To sum up, how do you use those tabs together correctly ?

Lots of questions but I have decided its time for me to clear it up for good :D
Thanks for your help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve