Output Scaling->Match Timeline Settings causing issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luke Mullen

Output Scaling->Match Timeline Settings causing issues

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello...

I'm working with some film scans in Resolve. These are DPX sequences scanned at 2048x1556. I can bring in the sequence just fine and I can set my Master Project Settings to have Timelines in 2048x1556 and everything looks good in Resolve. My issue is with monitoring. I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink SDI 4K card to output video over SDI to a Sony Trimaster EL monitor. The monitor doesn't accept 2K signals, only 1920x1080. When I view the timeline in default settings, the image is cropped and stretched to fit the 16:9 display. So I went to the Output Scaling Preset section to try to fix this. If I uncheck the Match Timeline Settings checkbox, it automatically changes my Timeline setting under Master Project Settings and all of my existing Timelines in the Edit tab to 1920x1080. And while that works great for monitoring, giving me the full frame centered on the monitor with black bars on either side, now I'm working in a 1920x1080 timeline. I'm a little confused why this checkbox alters my actual Timeline resolution. What I want is to edit/color in a 2048x1556 timeline and see a full frame centered image with black bars at 1920x1080 on my Sony monitor through the Decklink. Am I doing something wrong? Is the Match Timeline Settings checkbox a bug?

Perhaps related to this, for some reason, if I leave the Master Project Settings at default, so 1920x1080 for everything, timeline, monitoring etc and then I drag in a 2048x1556 DPX sequence, Resolve IS NOT popping up the window that says "hey your clip settings don't match your project settings, do you want to change them to match?" I couldn't find anything in the settings that would activate or deactive that window, but I thought it was odd that it's not appearing when there's a settings mismatch.

Pics attached.
Running Resolve 12.5 Studio with a dongle on Windows 10
Intel core i7/32GB RAM/GTX980 Ti/8-bay RAID for source files
Attachments
IMG_4538.JPG
Output Scaling Preset
IMG_4538.JPG (724.38 KiB) Viewed 583 times
IMG_4537.JPG
Cropped image on output
IMG_4537.JPG (862.92 KiB) Viewed 583 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve