Another Resolve newbie question: how to conform my clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Piotr Wozniacki

Another Resolve newbie question: how to conform my clips?

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 8:45 am

Hi again,

I realize there are many exhaustive options in the Project Settings for defining the way clips in the Bin will be put on the Timeline; professionals working on their serious projects usually use them together with their Resolve-supported metadata, clip or reel naming convention, etc. But...

...I'm editing alone and with just my own final delivery in mind, with just a single camera/codec-originated footage, so being lazy like most people, I'd like to avoid the tedious work of re-organizing bins, reels, and clip names while still having Resolve create my timelines with the clips conformed at least with the right order (and that usually is the incremented suffix in the subsequent clips' names, as written by my Sony FS7 camera)...Like in the "184_001, 184_002,..." sequence of clips in my project's media bin. Simple, isn't it?

But frankly - whatever I define in the Conform options of my Project settings, my timelines never follow this simple convention. I realize there is much more involved than the clip file names (or are they really treated like reel names by Resolve?) - the TC being probably the most important factor - but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to make Resolve put my clips to a new timeline in the above described order. So my question is: what am I missing? What else - beside my clips' names - should I consider trying to define automatically conforming my clips in the way I described?

Piotr

PS. My clips are XAVC-I, and Resolve is not particularly good at getting all the FS7 metadata - even though I always copy entire card structures to my media storage drives...
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Return to DaVinci Resolve