Transcodes produce Red Exclamation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Evan Crichton

Transcodes produce Red Exclamation

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi All, I was wondering if you could help.

I've seen posts regarding the red exclamation but it seems to be regarding Resolve not being able to find/link to Media. This is a slightly different problem.

We've been shooting on Sony F55 (A-Cam) and FS7 (B-Cam) on a project for about 3 weeks, transcoding the AVCHD 4K 10bit MXFs to DNHD 36 proxys to edit with in Avid. Resolve's been rock solid until this morning one of our B-rolls transcodes didn't seem to work. When opened in Avid a red exclamation was came up in the monitor - not an avid error message or a "media offline".

Going backwards, neither VLC nor Sony's catalyst browse will open the transcoded material. Quicktime tries to do the "converting file" (as it normally does with MXFs) but then just gives an error message.

The original footage appears to play correctly when I open that, the transcodes have the correct durations and correct corresponding audio/video tracks, and this card was in a render queue with several other A & B roll cards and they all transcoded without a problem, as they have the rest of the shoot, so the settings didn't change for this one card.

Does anyone have any experience of this and, if so, know how to correct it. We've tried transcoding several times - individual clips, transcoding in a new resolve project - but can't seem to get it working.

Any ideas you can throw my way would be brilliant. This is my first experience of Resolve not working, even now, I very much doubt the fault lies with the programme!

Return to DaVinci Resolve