render cache = choppy playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean Pollaro

render cache = choppy playback

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 1:38 am

I'm working in a session thats pretty heavy on nodes and OFX plugs like neat noise reduction. the source files are DPX 10 bit film scans.. The issue I'm having is that even after I render the timeline it still wont playback anywhere close to realtime. some clips drag as slow as 6 fps. I have the cache folder assigned to a beefy raid and I've tried changing the render codecs to see if it would make a difference but it doesnt. I know this project demands a lot from my system but should'nt a compressed rendered file give me realtime playback? when I export the project in the deliver page those movies playback smooth as butter so why wont my rendered timeline? Any help is appreciated

WINDOWS 10
DAVINCI RESOLVE 12.5
GPU- 2 GTX980's

John Paines

Re: render cache = choppy playback

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 3:12 am

It sounds like the node output (from the Color page) isn't getting cached (and without which you couldn't expect real-time playback, with OFX and NR). When you say "render the timeline", what exactly are your steps?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: render cache = choppy playback

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 6:59 am

edit - If your 10 pit DPX source files play in real time you can set your render cache to Uncompressed 10bit. This will then be the same data rate as your source.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve