12.5.1 does no more export clips with Canopus HQX codec

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bennjoell

12.5.1 does no more export clips with Canopus HQX codec

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 am

12.5.1 does no more export with Canopus HQX. The former Resolve version 12.5 supported the export of Canopus HQX in a Quicktime Container. That was a very good workflow together with EDIUS 8.2. Why did BM support it nomore?
Now there are only two codecs, that are practicable: Quicktime H.264 and Quicktime Mpeg4.
MFX OP will be exported, but is not readable by EDIUS 8.2, which can read MXF files with OP
DPX Files? Not really feasible.
Benn
Win 10 64bit, ASUS x99 deluxe, CPU i7 5960X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 ti, SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: 12.5.1 does no more export clips with Canopus HQX codec

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 9:50 am

Yes, as there is no more QT engine, so codecs like HQX won't work until properly re-implemented over BM own QT engine.

If you need some intermediate codec then you would need to get DNxHD MXF Edius plugin, as this should work well with Resolve.

Tony Martin

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, as there is no more QT engine, so codecs like HQX won't work until properly re-implemented over BM own QT engine..
That worries me as I am in the middle of an Edius 8.2 HQX project.

But is it universally true?

I thought that restriction would only apply if you relied solely on the BM implementation of QT.

I thought that if you had iTunes/Quicktime installed then everything worked as it has always.

Can anyone clarify this please?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Well new version (12.5.1) removed any link to QT technology on PC as far as I understand. This is the whole point of it, not relying on it at all.

BM used generic QT component provided by GV to do HQX decoding encoding. Now when QT is gone they would have to do proper low level integration, like they do in case of ProRes or DNxHD. Problem is that such a components for HQX don't exist- GV doesn't have codecs SDK/API for 3rd part integration as far as I know.

Never update/upgrade in the middle of the project- very plain and good rule :)

Tony Martin

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Never update/upgrade in the middle of the project- very plain and good rule :)
Thank you for the clarification.

I didn't update!

I was just thinking ahead to when this project would be finished and the possibility of updating then.

But now I will have to re-consider that. And consider the use of another intermediate codec.

In the meantime I am putting my hands over my eyes and I am not seeing words that I do not want to see! And I am still hoping that someone else will tell me different!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 2:16 pm

It needs proper integration. QT way was crap. The only problem is that it may never happen!
I can write the same for you on Edius forum :) It needs more effort from GV, but you know their approach.
Only GV can give a hint of possible new proper integration.

Tony Martin

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I can write the same for you on Edius forum :) Only GV can give a hint of possible new proper integration.

Done! I have beat you to it! :mrgreen:

bennjoell

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 am

Sorry, I cant understand that. When I try to export a clip for working with it in EDIUS 8.2, I have only a few choices. I decided, because DNxHR is crashing, to take the H.264 codec, but its in a Quicktime Container. So, in my understanding Resolve IS using Quicktime. In Edius I can use the Canopus HQX in an AVI Container as well.
Benn
Attachments
Resolve Export.JPG
Resolve Export.JPG (61.14 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Win 10 64bit, ASUS x99 deluxe, CPU i7 5960X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 ti, SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB

Return to DaVinci Resolve