Crashing project in timeline editing (logs linked)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Lear

Crashing project in timeline editing (logs linked)

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 am

I am near the end of an edit and Resolve's crashing is getting worse and worse. Normally it just vanishes, but sometimes I get the spinning beach ball which never recovers. Nothing repeatable. Sometimes I've moved one clip in the timeline and it goes. It's doing a bit better now, but it's tough on the nerves in the last week of an edit!

It has been crashing or freezing periodically, but seemed to get a lot worse after a recent update to 12.5.1, so I downgraded, but that didn't help so I think it's something in the project.

Still, overall I've enjoyed editing on it and I remember when Avid and FCP went through their crashing years. so I think it's to be expected (when using it as a full editor)

I did try removing some VST plugins I'd added (but wasn't using I don't think) and the Red Giant Universe (again not using so doubt it will affect it)

(Workarounds: autosave on 5 mins - interrupts you a lot but worth it. Would prefer to set this number manually, I'd have it on 1 or 2 minutes right now)

Attached are some capturelogs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqcq273cqlxwicm/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20160824-172242.tgz?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uwziwb2kpk4eb1/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20160824-172852.tgz?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t0n9u2m68c460h/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20160824-173612.tgz?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/maoazkqqa81gqlh/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20160825-113339.tgz?dl=0

And the project:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/966f6i4k8jp5yhj/Love%20Out%20Loud%201080p%2025.drp?dl=0

Sys info:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oirb9sdkpjtw4j/MacBook%20Pro%20Nick%20Sys%20info.spx?dl=0
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Crashing project in timeline editing (logs linked)

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 11:09 am

Looking at your logs and project, nothing obvious at this stage.
What are the codecs of the files ur using?
Assuming you finish the project soon, it might be worthwhile disabling all the audio plugins to see if there is something there causing this.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Lear

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi Peter

I did also email support and got a response saying it was likely it was my 1GB VRAM letting the side down which is no longer supported.

I am also using non-ideal h264 (don't have space for optimising / re-encoding)

With the h264, it does slow me down and I put up with that. Surely there is a way of a limited VRAM (or RAM or processor) leading to the software just slowing down rather than crashing out?

(PS I did remove the VSTs and OFX just to be safe)
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Ah, i didnt notice the GT650 in your post. That will be a weak spot as is H.264.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 am

I had a case some weeks ago where an imported XML timeline from FCP7 caused repeated crashes whenever I simply moved a clip -- in one case, just a text generator clip, which is trivial -- and made me batty.

Finally in desperation, I exported a new XML from this session and created an entirely new project with just this one timeline. I brought all the clips in, rebuilt the timeline, copied the nodes over with ColorTrace, and... no more crashes. I did run into a problem where (inexplicably) about 25 or 30 of the clips got the wrong color, but I was able to manually go through and fix these, because I had grabbed Gallery stills on every shot. Note that the edit was identical between the two -- this was not a changed timeline in any way.

My guess is that something about the original XML was off just enough to cause a subtle bit of corruption, and whenever Resolve stumbled upon that part of the timeline, it all went south. The new timeline was perfect and flawless in every way, with zero crashes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Nick Lear

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 9:23 am

I managed to finish the cut.

Then I had one full day to grade it... zero crashes. Even with lots of nodes and playback at a few frames per second, not one crash.

So I do think it's more the edit page / corruption that is the problem.

Marc - I didn't import an XML, I started the project from scratch in Resolve and did the whole 2 month edit in the program.

I will hope to have more storage for my next edit and so not be editing in h264. And ideally a new machine (or an eGPU like the Wolfe? is that supported)

TJWilliamstj

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 1:21 am

Peter???? R U there Mate?????

I have been building a new computer for editing hoping to be able to complete project within one
software.... info on what hardware is supported very crucial. also concerned about these crashes...
currently using Premiere which very seldom crashes. incl H264 Go pro etc...
I'm very interested in using VST Audio plugins also... are you going to make this possible???

Return to DaVinci Resolve