Resolve for Display Calibration

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ron Michaels

Resolve for Display Calibration

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey guys/gals,

I plan on using lightspace to generate a calibration LUT for my display (LG31mu97). Instead of purchasing extra hardware like a LUT box, can I simply use the "generated LUT" in resolve? If so, which would give me the correct workflow, input LUT, Output LUT, or something else?

Thanks everyone,
Ron

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Resolve for Display Calibration

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 6:42 pm

talk with Steve Shaw st light space, he will help you in the setup
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Ron Michaels

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 6:46 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:talk with Steve Shaw st light space, he will help you in the setup

Thanks, yeah I did. He said output LUT, but not sure if he fully understood what I meant, as I don't think I articulated it well enough lol. I responded to him to make sure we were both on the same page but still haven't heard anything back. Just wanted to check with you guys to see if this was correct, or if there any other/better ways of approaching this.
Thanks,
Ron

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Gotta plug my tutorial...warts and all. There's a lot of info that probably doesn't apply to you, but toward the end I show how to set up a Monitor LUT in Resolve:

P.S.

Just make sure that you uncheck the default behavior for the LUT affecting your Scopes since I have no idea when this would be a desired thing.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Ron Michaels

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Gotta plug my tutorial...warts and all. There's a lot of info that probably doesn't apply to you, but toward the end I show how to set up a Monitor LUT in Resolve:

P.S.

Just make sure that you uncheck the default behavior for the LUT affecting your Scopes since I have no idea when this would be a desired thing.

Thanks for the reply and tutorial as well! So you are saying to use the 3D Video Monitoring LUT and NOT the Output LUT, in order to see my image as if my monitor were calibrated?
thanks,
Ron

Richard Dean

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Forgive y ignorance but Is this predicated on having the monitor input calibrated already or can one take a monitor out of the box and calibrate with LUT?

Ron Michaels

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 1:02 am

Richard Dean wrote:Forgive y ignorance but Is this predicated on having the monitor input calibrated already or can one take a monitor out of the box and calibrate with LUT?

If i understand correctly, you would never really trust a monitors calibration straight from the "box". As far as calibration goes, you would either need a decent monitor that you can manually calibrate to the desired color space you plan on working in. Meaning it would have to be able to produce a color gamut either the same size or larger than the color space you are aiming for. As far as LUT's go, you would either need a monitor which can handle LUT's internally (most are $$$$) or you would need something called a LUT box, which is another piece of hardware that sits somewhere in your signal chain (i.e. between your computer and the monitor). I however am trying to figure how to use davinci to be the host for my monitor calibration LUT, so that I can see my image the way I intend it to be without having to buy a LUT box or depend on my monitors (LG 31mu97) LACK of professional functions and settings....

Steve Shaw

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 1:08 pm

As has been replied to this question on the Light Illusion forums, the 'Monitor LUT' is the one to use (in previous Resolve versions this seems to have been called the 'Output LUT'.

Taken from the Resolve 12.5 User Manual:

1D/3D Video Monitor Lookup Table: Two pop-up menus let you add 1D and/or 3D LUTs
that process the current Timeline after every other image processing operation in DaVinci
Resolve. However, Display LUTs are only temporarily applied for purposes of monitoring;
they're never applied to rendered media, or to the signal that is output to tape using the
controls in the Deliver page. Display LUTs are particularly valuable for applying a film
print emulation LUT in a Log workflow, or for applying a monitor calibration LUT if you're
outputting to a single display and you don't have dedicated outboard calibration hardware.

No additional LUT Box is required.

Steve

Return to DaVinci Resolve