Crash while loading Premiere CC 2015 xml

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Duarte

Crash while loading Premiere CC 2015 xml

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello! I am trying to load a xml exported from Premiere 2015.4 into Resolve 12.5.2.010 but I get a crash if the "Automatically import source clips" option is checked.
I have tried importing all my footage and unchecking the option but Resolve links all the footage wrong - force conforming does not help, timecodes are all over the place.
My project has footage from several cameras in h264 - 5D, A7s, Osmo, and so on. Also, there is a lot of footage shot in 60 and 120 fps.

Can anyone help me?

I am on a i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, GTX 980ti, Decklink mini monitor, Windows 10.
All my drivers are up to date and I have just installed the latest Desktop Video available.
Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB RAM ddr4 3200MHz, RTX3080Ti, Windows 11 Pro,
Resolve Studio 18.1, Decklink Mini-monitor 4K

Rafael Duarte
DP, colorist, compositor

machinafilmes.com
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Michael Del Papa

Re: Crash while loading Premiere CC 2015 xml

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 12:36 am

FWIW, I submitted a crash log for an issue I was seeing to BMD support as outlined in the Support thread at the top of this forum, and BMD was very responsive. Therefore, I suggest filing a crash report as BMD developers seem pretty motivated to resolve these bugs. With the rapid pace of development, it wouldn't surprise me if a near future version is working correctly.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 am

Mixing timecodes and frame rates are a very, very tough challenge for any editing program. If you were to bring this XML into Avid or FCP, I suspect you'd get similar results.

One workaround would be to transcode everything to a common format with reliable (non-conflicting) timecode and reel numbers. I would also bake-in the speed changes so that all the transcoded files now have the same frame rate as the final show. Do that, and the confirm can go reasonably well.

The other alternative would be to just render a flattened file out of Premiere and grade that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Rafael Duarte

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 12:30 am

Hey, Marc. Thanks for the info!
As I was on a tight schedule I did exactly that. Exported my timeline to a proreshq file.
Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB RAM ddr4 3200MHz, RTX3080Ti, Windows 11 Pro,
Resolve Studio 18.1, Decklink Mini-monitor 4K

Rafael Duarte
DP, colorist, compositor

machinafilmes.com
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Return to DaVinci Resolve