Different Device Yields Different Results in Lift and Gain

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jamie LeJeune

Different Device Yields Different Results in Lift and Gain

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Check out this post by Mixinglight.com:

https://mixinglight.com/portfolio/panel-vs-mouse-color-correction-math-davinci-resolve/

It shows how the the same lift and gain operations yield vastly different results (likely due to different internal math) depending on whether a mouse or a control surface is used to input.

BMD, please explain what is going on here. Is this an intended (yet undocumented) feature or a previously unreported bug?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Different Device Yields Different Results in Lift and Ga

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 7:09 pm

you have to understand that the color wheel gui (first tab) is relatively new, the legacy controls are the bars in the second tab. the panel is mapped to that.

if you get the project and you use the mouse with the Y RGB bars, you get the same results of the panel.

it is a misconception thar the panel is mapped to the color wheels.

should them behave the same? yes in my opinion.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 1:04 am

waltervolpatto wrote:you have to understand that the color wheel gui (first tab) is relatively new, the legacy controls are the bars in the second tab. the panel is mapped to that. if you get the project and you use the mouse with the Y RGB bars, you get the same results of the panel. it is a misconception thar the panel is mapped to the color wheels. should them behave the same? yes in my opinion.

Ah, that's very interesting.

I have to admit, on the rare occasions I reach over and do a mouse adjustment, I only work in Bars mode, never Wheels. If it were up to me, I'd eliminate the Wheels screen entirely. I don't want to see it. I only want to see how YRGB is stacking up in each mode.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 8:34 am

AFAIK the Resolve control surface gain ring is mapped to the 'Y' gain control on the YRGB bars controls page. The gain control on the Color Wheel display is NOT the same as the 'Y' control which is mapped to the Resolve control surface gain ring. Most people do not realise that the color wheels and the YRGB bars are actually the same controls! The color wheels just do not have the 'Y' control.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 6:38 am

This behaviour has been changed in v12.5.3!

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Hmm, Gamma and Gain are behaving like I expect them to now, but the problem is still there if I use the Lift gain control.

Return to DaVinci Resolve