Linking Davinci and Premiere

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Travis D. Brown

Linking Davinci and Premiere

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 2:42 am

Hello all,
I'm editing a feature film and started by creating and exporting proxies out of Davinci to edit in Premiere.
I'm now trying to export an XML from Premiere and import it into Davinci Resolve.
When I do that, Davinci gets confused and only some of the clips are correct. Davinci doesn't know which source files to use for every clip in the timeline and offers any source files (in my entire project) that have a similar running time.
This happens even though every clip has a unique name without any duplicates. Why doesn't Davinci just read the clip name and give me the right file in the time line?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Linking Davinci and Premiere

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:40 am

Travis D. Brown wrote:Hello all,
I'm editing a feature film and started by creating and exporting proxies out of Davinci to edit in Premiere.
I'm now trying to export an XML from Premiere and import it into Davinci Resolve.
When I do that, Davinci gets confused and only some of the clips are correct. Davinci doesn't know which source files to use for every clip in the timeline and offers any source files (in my entire project) that have a similar running time.
This happens even though every clip has a unique name without any duplicates. Why doesn't Davinci just read the clip name and give me the right file in the time line?

you should be sure that the tape Id you use in premier and exported match the one in resolve.

fail that and you will not conform
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 am

Reel names and timecode matter more than the file name.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 5:07 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Reel names and timecode matter more than the file name.

in post production is the only thing that matter.

sorry.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 6:16 am

Quite right. Quantel iQ works best when using tape info and file media. It can conform from filename but you need to show every folder to it manually.

Travis D. Brown

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 12:44 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Reel names and timecode matter more than the file name.

Thanks for the reply.
I shot the film on the Blackmagic Production camera so there is no time code.
What are you calling the reel name? The way in which Blackmagic cameras (at least the Production camera) labels each clip is with the reel name at the beginning. So each clip begins with the reel name (it's not located elsewhere in the metadata that I'm aware of).
I'm still unclear on what the problem is and how to fix it. I could be missing something, but I still don't get why Davinci is having trouble locating the appropriate clips when their names haven't changed.
Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Travis D. Brown

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 12:45 am

[/quote]

you should be sure that the tape Id you use in premier and exported match the one in resolve.

fail that and you will not conform[/quote]

When you say "tape Id" what do you mean? The only way to indicate which clip is which is the clip name.
What am I missing?
Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve