Running 12.5 on a Tablet

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SteveMullen

Running 12.5 on a Tablet

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 am

One of the most asked questions has got to be — “is my machine powerful enough for Resolve?” The answers generally move folks toward wanting/needing lots of power. Also, there seem to be many posts about which GPU card to buy/use. While there’s nothing wrong with owning a hot machine, I’ve seen posts on other forums where people say they can't try Resolve because their computer "isn’t powerful enough.” That's a marketing negative for BM.

1) On my 15” MBP with Nvidia 750M, the primary place Resolve IS VERY slow is decoding h.264 media. While FCPX will play 2 streams of 4K XAVC WITHOUT needing to generate or use either a proxy or an intermediate codec, Resolve stutters along. Transcoding is necessary — which means an unfortunate wait.

2) But if one must wait -- what level of machine is really needed to run Resolve? How about a $900 tablet?

>>>> DETAILS: The Samsung Galaxy TabPro S has an Intel Core m3 Dual-Core 2.2GHz (Turbo) 6th generation processor with a Intel HD Graphics 515 GPU driving a 12-inch 2160×1440 pixel SuperAMOLED screen. For RAM there’s 4GB and for storage there’s a 128GB SSD. The Galaxy TabPro S is 693 grams. The tablet has a detachable keyboard. <<<<

3) Oddly, I could not download from BM to the tablet. So I downloaded using my Mac and dropboxed it to the tablet and installed it. Zero problems other than needing QT! I then dropboxed over test files including one 2K RAW file. (Yes, it deBayered as one would expect.)

4) In May — the tablet was a “mother’s day” gift — I began editing with Resolve using 480p24, 4080p30, 720p30/60, 1080p25, and 2160p24 (from Canon C300 mk2).

I learned to make full use of the fantastic new Optimization tools available. My test goal was playing graded footage at the correct framerate (green lite on). ALL formats met my test goals. (With UHD the green lite did flicker a bit. For all formats the green Iite flickered -- usual -- for the first second.) I exported my tests and uploaded them to YouTube.

4) Here is what I learned: V12.5 did not protest my Intel GPU or lack of “Open anything.” It ran without crashing. I was able to “cast” my screen to my HDTV via a Roku. (Very nice feature.)

5) The Core 6 was designed for a fanless tablet! (I didn’t initially know this.) I was able to edit SD for 6 hours—until the battery ran down. However, with UHD, run-time before either the display became corrupted or Windows TEMP ALARM caused Resolve to terminate, was 5 to 10 minutes. (Now I wonder about a cheap lightweight WITH a fan.)

6) My conclusion: the $900 tablet MAY BE fine for learning Resolve and/or editing SD or 720p. ( I edited p60 at p30 -- see why in my YouTube notes. However, I could directly edit p60.) Editing 1080p24 was time limited.

7) THE BIG PROBLEM >> even at the startup screen media I had been using would show-up as Media Offline! A bug? Fixed?

8) This week my Samsung Pen finally arrived and I was able to work without a keyboard using only pen and touch. The experience was normal in the sense Resolve behaved as Resolve. The odd part was walking around with a 1.5 pound device while grading.

NOTE: graded with a Timeline wipe and TRACKING POWER WINDOW (sorry for the yellow):

NOTE: graded using Keyframes.

NOTE: 2160p24 with simple FX

NOTE: my grade focused on the back wall which was my error. Very short because my summer location has 0.5Mbps upload speed that locks-out all downloading.

PLEASE READ EACH DESCRIPTION because I describe how to use optimization which is relevant to all computers.

NOTE: pictures of tablet being used in Vegas with Sony FS5 4K XAVC and with 4K monitor.

Perhaps this is not news to you. It certainly was a surprise to me. Comments very welcome.

Marc Wielage

Re: Running 12.5 on a Tablet

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 10:10 am

I think grading on a tablet or a laptop is a bad idea. I'd also say that trying to mix audio on a tablet or a laptop is also a bad idea.

I think there are limited things you can do, certainly viewing dailies, doing very rough edits, stuff like that. But there is a point which it just gets nutty and silly... the least problem of which being no calibrated display. I think tablets are very useful devices for certain things, but not this. I also don't think it'd be a good idea to try to drive a car with a tablet, but that's me.

I don't have a problem prepping dailies on a laptop, provided it's a fixed LUT just going out to editorial and judging performance and so on. That's fine, assuming the laptop is very fast and can handle the material.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

SteveMullen

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 10:38 pm

1) My point was a cheap computer to LEARN Resolve. However >>>>

2) "Pro graders" over the next few years are going to be a minority of those using Resolve. Precision grading is/will not be an all important goal for those that want a free NLE. And, certainly these folks will not be working with film. How many editors using FCP or FCPX or Premiere or even Media composer over the last several decades actually had/have "calibrated monitors?"

3) It also has an HDMI port (adaptor) so nothing prevents reviews connected to a good monitor.One of my posted videos shows grading Sony FS5 4K video on a 4K monitor.

4) Interesting you assume the Samsung doesn't have a display good enough for grading.

FROM A REVIEW: Using an X-Rite colorimeter, using the out-of-the-box Adaptive Display setting, the colorimeter picked up a 0.00 black level and super-bright 367-lumens white level. The 7,661k colour temperature is a slight departure from the 6,500k ideal, with a 3.88 Delta E.

Adobe RGB and sRGB coverage: Out of the box the device covers 99.9% of the standard sRGB spectrum and an impressive 86.6% of the Adobe RGB.

Using Samsung’s custom “Galaxy Settings” you can adjust the screen’s settings, by picking between a series of more focused PHOTO, CINEMA and BASIC options. PHOTO mode makes it more accurate with Adobe sRGB while CINEMA mode has oversaturated colours.

The BASIC mode tones down the screen to give it a warmer 6,681k colour temperature and an almost perfect 1.65 Delta E –- but at the expense of its Adobe RGB coverage, which drops to 68.2%.

SteveMullen

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 5:19 am

X-Rite colorimeter: 0.00 black level and 367-lumens white level. 7,661k colour temperature with a 3.88 Delta E. Out of the box it covers 99.9% of the standard sRGB spectrum and 86.6% of the Adobe RGB.

Samsung’s custom settings: Photo, Cinema, and Basic. Photo is more accurate with Adobe sRGB. Cinema mode has oversaturated colours. Basic mode: 6,681k colour temperature and an almost perfect 1.65 Delta E, but at the expense of its Adobe RGB coverage, which drops to 68.2%. (I think it has the controls with which to do a calibration. I just connect a very accurate 28-inch 4K monitor.

A far more fundamental question to me is -- with such care seemingly needed to get correct GPU CARD(s) -- one with many GBs of RAM -- Open CL 2.0, and super-high performance -- how is it possible Resolve works so well on an under $900 system one can buy at T^rget?

It would be great to get confirmation by others because I know a fair number of editors who would buy something they or their wife can use as a Tablet -- while they learn Resolve.

Tristan Heck

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm

hey,

i am really interested in editing on Tablet

i would like to edit from a high quality externa stick or HDD
later outport a drp
and finalize my edit on pc if needed

i mostly use raw and pro res.

sadly your links dont work anymore.

i am recently thinking about buying a high quality tablet or laptop cause my powerfull pc is simply to stationary.

i really like tablets because of drawing Software.

do you think i can get sthn like that done on a 1k tablet or hmmm...

markhern

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 4:45 am

SteveMullen wrote:One of the most asked questions has got to be — “is my machine powerful enough for Resolve?” The answers generally move folks toward wanting/needing lots of power. Also, there seem to be many posts about which GPU card to buy/use. While there’s nothing wrong with owning a hot machine, I’ve seen posts on other forums where people say they can't try Resolve because their computer "isn’t powerful enough.” That's a marketing negative for BM.

1) On my 15” MBP with Nvidia 750M, the primary place Resolve IS VERY slow is decoding h.264 media. While FCPX will play 2 streams of 4K XAVC WITHOUT needing to generate or use either a proxy or an intermediate codec, Resolve stutters along. Transcoding is necessary — which means an unfortunate wait.

2) But if one must wait -- what level of machine is really needed to run Resolve? How about a $900 tablet?

>>>> DETAILS: The Samsung Galaxy TabPro S has an Intel Core m3 Dual-Core 2.2GHz (Turbo) 6th generation processor with a Intel HD Graphics 515 GPU driving a 12-inch 2160×1440 pixel SuperAMOLED screen. For RAM there’s 4GB and for storage there’s a 128GB SSD. The Galaxy TabPro S is 693 grams. The tablet has a detachable keyboard. <<<<

3) Oddly, I could not download from BM to the tablet. So I downloaded using my Mac and dropboxed it to the tablet and installed it. Zero problems other than needing QT! I then dropboxed over test files including one 2K RAW file. (Yes, it deBayered as one would expect.)

4) In May — the tablet was a “mother’s day” gift — I began editing with Resolve using 480p24, 4080p30, 720p30/60, 1080p25, and 2160p24 (from Canon C300 mk2).

I learned to make full use of the fantastic new Optimization tools available. My test goal was playing graded footage at the correct framerate (green lite on). ALL formats met my test goals. (With UHD the green lite did flicker a bit. For all formats the green Iite flickered -- usual -- for the first second.) I exported my tests and uploaded them to YouTube.

4) Here is what I learned: V12.5 did not protest my Intel GPU or lack of “Open anything.” It ran without crashing. I was able to “cast” my screen to my HDTV via a Roku. (Very nice feature.)

5) The Core 6 was designed for a fanless tablet! (I didn’t initially know this.) I was able to edit SD for 6 hours—until the battery ran down. However, with UHD, run-time before either the display became corrupted or Windows TEMP ALARM caused Resolve to terminate, was 5 to 10 minutes. (Now I wonder about a cheap lightweight WITH a fan.)

6) My conclusion: the $900 tablet MAY BE fine for learning Resolve and/or editing SD or 720p. ( I edited p60 at p30 -- see why in my YouTube notes. However, I could directly edit p60.) Editing 1080p24 was time limited.

7) THE BIG PROBLEM >> even at the startup screen media I had been using would show-up as Media Offline! A bug? Fixed?

8) This week my Samsung Pen finally arrived and I was able to work without a keyboard using only pen and touch. The experience was normal in the sense Resolve behaved as Resolve. The odd part was walking around with a 1.5 pound device while grading.

NOTE: graded with a Timeline wipe and TRACKING POWER WINDOW (sorry for the yellow):

NOTE: graded using Keyframes.

NOTE: 2160p24 with simple FX

NOTE: my grade focused on the back wall which was my error. Very short because my summer location has 0.5Mbps upload speed that locks-out all downloading.

PLEASE READ EACH DESCRIPTION because I describe how to use optimization which is relevant to all computers.

NOTE: pictures of tablet being used in Vegas with Sony FS5 4K XAVC and with 4K monitor.

Perhaps this is not news to you. It certainly was a surprise to me. Comments very welcome.

Thank you. Really useful.

Return to DaVinci Resolve