Troubleshooting Performance Issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeff Cristad

Troubleshooting Performance Issues

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 1:35 am

New to Resolve. I'm running on a gaming laptop. 5th Gen i7 Quad Core, 6GB RAM, SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M (2GB). I'm editing some 2.7K 30fps aerial video. Playback is not bad. Reverse playback is another store. I went in and set the playback proxy set to high res and didn't notice much of a difference. Set it to quarter resolution. This is after I imported my media files to my timeline. Does the proxy still take effect or do you have to import after that setting so it can transcode on the import?

So then I tried to do a cross fade by breaking the video and moving the second half to V2 and overlapping them then fading out V1 and fading in V2. The playback picture freezes as soon as it hits the cross fade, totally chokes. Maybe I am just doing it wrong but the fact the reverse play back it pretty much chokes too tells me I'm pushing my machine to the limit.

Aside from adding more RAM are there some settings I should be considering changing or other techniques to improve performance?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott McKenzie

Re: Troubleshooting Performance Issues

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 am

What version of Resolve? What's the video codec? What type of hard drive is the footage stored on?

Based on your comment about reverse playback, I'm guessing that the footage is a H.264 / AVCHD based (this doesn't decode backwards very smoothly). It's possible that either your CPU isn't powerful enough to decode 2 streams of 2.7k 30p footage or that your GPU (2GB is pretty low for running Resolve) can't handle processing the crossfade in real time.

As for proxy mode, you can change it whenever you want and it works in real time without transcoding (p.141 of the manual). I'm not sure why you don't see a change with proxy mode, it's possible that the change on the UI is minimal because the image is scaled down already.
Scott McKenzie
Colorist / Finishing Editor
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Adam Simmons

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 1:10 pm

As Scott said your GPU is underpowered for 2.7K work as it only has 2GB VRAM which is the recommended VRAM for HD, anythng above HD and it will start to choke.

You don't say what the CPU number is, but I suspect again that it is underpowered for decoding multiple streams of 2.7K, and trying to play back h264 footage backwards will always be a problem as it's not designed for it. You could try transcoding the footage to DNxHR, which will give you bigger files but may be easier on the CPU
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Jeff Cristad

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm

CPU is i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz

My RAM is 8GB and that is supposedly the minimum and there's only about 4.5GB free for Resolve (running 12.5) so I'm going to upgrade to 16GB (memory is cheap!)

Yes video is H264. Stored on Samsung EVO SSD.

I think I'm just pushing the machine to the limit editing 2.7K. I found that I can wait for it to cache the crossfade scene and then I can view it okay. The crossfade is just such a really intensive rendering process. I'll just have to be patient regarding the caching on stuff like that (or get a more powerful machine)

I'm just doing some short real estate videos, no short films or anything like that so my setup is fine. Rendering is taking about 2x the video length for 1080p and 4x for 2.7k. I can live with that.

Will be interesting to see if the RAM helps much.

Program is so powerul, not too hard to use, and stable. Amazing value. Like it better than everything else I tried including Lightworks. Not a lot of people know it's a full fledged NLE now. Kudos to Blackmagic.

JP Perry

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 5:06 am

To be clear, the guys are talking about VRAM, not RAM. Upgrading your RAM won't hurt (go for it!), but also won't solve the problem.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Jeff Cristad

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 3:36 pm

JP Perry wrote:To be clear, the guys are talking about VRAM, not RAM. Upgrading your RAM won't hurt (go for it!), but also won't solve the problem.

Unfortunately, the main downside of using a laptop instead of a workstation is you don't really have flexibility on the GPU/VRAM upgrade path. If I start doing 4K I'm sure I would invest in a workstation then.

Tomasz Tomanek

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Did you try to work with "optimized media files" ? It can be good solution for such situation.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve