Is Windows PRO essential for Resolve lite?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stan Willis

Is Windows PRO essential for Resolve lite?

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

I have been upgrading my system with a view to being able to use Resolve Lite. My system at present -
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, ASUSTeK P6T SE MOBO. 2 solid state drives and I have ordered a GTX1060 6GB. I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit and I was hoping not to have to upgrade that to Windows 10 PRO because I can't see that it has any (other) advantages for me. So my questions are: can I avoid doing that; what kind of problems would I be likely to encounter if I tried?; what are the exclusive features of the PRO version that Resolve uses.
Thanks in advance to anyone that replies to any of these questions.
Stan
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb
i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz
16.0GB DDR3 @ 534MHz
Mobo SUS P6T SE (LGA1366)
SAMSUNG TV
Sys 465 SSD Cache 240 ssd
465GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
931GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
media intHD +USB3 HD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Resolve 18.6.4 Build 6

Tomek Cobas

Re: Is Windows PRO essential for Resolve lite?

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm

This question seems to be a really tricky one as it always seems to be left unaswered unfortunatley. Resolve manual only mentions Windows Pro as s Valid system but gives no reason for it. I have asked this same question on this and other forums, and it always just drops to a black hole :/. No one is willing to explain this. having said that i've stumbled somewhere on the net onto some vague explanations that some things may not work on Windows Home, but i can only treat this information as rumors, because thats what they are at this point. it seems we are stuck with resolve manual. But on the other hand resolve manual only mentions couple of mainboards that are recomended for resolve, And i personaly have used motherboards not listed in the manual and everything always worked as supposed to.

If anyone from blackmagic is willing to clarify this - please do so :)

Michael Del Papa

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 3:53 pm

If I were to conjecture, I would say no. I was able to run DR on Win7 Pro x64 for a while, even though BMD does not officially support 7. However, I ended up upgrading anyway because the editing experience on 10 Pro is better. Whether or not you would experience the problems I had due to Pro vs Home is a different question though.

If you look at the differences between Studio and DR, other than a handful of effects like NR, the main differences are centered around those who work in groups and/or need some sort of network support for things like render farms. If you look at the Pro vs Home differences they sort of mirror the same thing. So, if you plan on using DR on just a home PC, then my guess is you can get away with Home, but don't expect much in the way of technical support if you have problems e.g. stuttering playback. The only answer you will get will be to upgrade to Pro.

stevegame

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Tomek Cobas wrote:This question seems to be a really tricky one as it always seems to be left unaswered unfortunatley. Resolve manual only mentions Windows Pro as s Valid system but gives no reason for it. I have asked this same question on this and other forums, and it always just drops to a black hole :/. No one is willing to explain this. having said that i've stumbled somewhere on the net onto some vague explanations that some things may not work on Windows Home, but i can only treat this information as rumors, because thats what they are at this point. it seems we are stuck with resolve manual. But on the other hand resolve manual only mentions couple of mainboards that are recomended for resolve, And i personaly have used motherboards not listed in the manual and everything always worked as supposed to.

If anyone from blackmagic is willing to clarify this - please do so :)

I am running Resolve 12.5 - not the Studio version, (the current equivalent of Resolve Lite) and my system is as follows:
Asus Z170-A motherboard with i7 6700K CPU and 2x8GB of DDR4 RAM. It has Windows 10 Home, recently updated to the Anniversary version. The GPU is an Asus GTX970 which currently runs the GUI and provides CUDA resources for Resolve use. I can ingest, edit, grade and render full HD video with (so far) no problems.
In addition, I have an Intensity Pro 4K card fitted, mainly as a video monitor GPU. Resolve is quite happy for this to be calibrated using Displaycal opensource software through the Calman option, even though the Resolve and Desktop Video documentation only seems to regard Decklink hardware products as being of any importance.
Best not tell my setup that it shouldn't really work. :)

stevegame

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Michael Del Papa wrote:... So, if you plan on using DR on just a home PC, then my guess is you can get away with Home, but don't expect much in the way of technical support if you have problems e.g. stuttering playback. The only answer you will get will be to upgrade to Pro.

If using one of the free versions of Resolve, there isn't (officially) any support outside this forum from BMD anyway. If the hardware isn't being changed then I doubt that a version of Windows with better data security arrangements and a facility for collaborative working would have much impact on Resolve operation.

Tomek Cobas

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Michael Del Papa wrote:If you look at the differences between Studio and DR, other than a handful of effects like NR, the main differences are centered around those who work in groups and/or need some sort of network support for things like render farms.

Yes networking is the thing that will mostly differentiate Windows Home from Pro. But one has to ask a qestion . to what degree? If i want to instal Resolve Studio on Win Home - on a single PC and use lets say a external HDD box conected through ethernet lets say for backups. Is this already to much for Home ver? Or are we talking just about huge render farms and studios with multiple stations and San Storage solutions? Where is the line ? :)

For example I have currenly one PC with Windows Pro installed - and Another one with hackintosh installed. Those two machines can read and write to each other internal HDD's with no hustlle over gigabit ethernet. I dont imagine this would be impossible with Windows Home?

Tomek Cobas

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:20 pm

stevegame wrote: I can ingest, edit, grade and render full HD video with (so far) no problems.

Well this is a piece of information i would'nt get from anyone for a year now.

Thank You good Sir :)
Last edited by Tomek Cobas on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomek Cobas

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:24 pm

stevegame wrote:If using one of the free versions of Resolve, there isn't (officially) any support outside this forum from BMD anyway. If the hardware isn't being changed then I doubt that a version of Windows with better data security arrangements and a facility for collaborative working would have much impact on Resolve operation.

this is my thinking also, but as was stated here before , probably all comes down to troubleshooting. BMD just doesnt want to deal with troubleshooting users with Resolve installed on home ver. Due to the fact that some networking problem should occur, they would just say - You have to install Win Pro.

Stan Willis

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for your very useful replies. I decided to install the free 12.5 version yesterday on my system that I described in the first post. I have spent a day playing around with 4K clips from a lumix g7
using optimized media generated by the program (Avid NNHR SQ half resolution). So far it seems to work very well. If I do encounter any problems which I can't resolve(sorry), I'll post again.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb
i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz
16.0GB DDR3 @ 534MHz
Mobo SUS P6T SE (LGA1366)
SAMSUNG TV
Sys 465 SSD Cache 240 ssd
465GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
931GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
media intHD +USB3 HD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Resolve 18.6.4 Build 6

Jean Claude

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Tomek Cobas wrote:
stevegame wrote:If using one of the free versions of Resolve, there isn't (officially) any support outside this forum from BMD anyway. If the hardware isn't being changed then I doubt that a version of Windows with better data security arrangements and a facility for collaborative working would have much impact on Resolve operation.

this is my thinking also, but as was stated here before , probably all comes down to troubleshooting. BMD just doesnt want to deal with troubleshooting users with Resolve installed on home ver. Due to the fact that some networking problem should occur, they would just say - You have to install Win Pro.

and anniversary. Good !
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

stevegame

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 12:01 am

Tomek Cobas wrote:
stevegame wrote:... BMD just doesnt want to deal with troubleshooting users with Resolve installed on home ver. Due to the fact that some networking problem should occur, they would just say - You have to install Win Pro.

Which probably wouldn't fix the problem anyway.

Return to DaVinci Resolve