Constantly encountered aggravations -- editing edition

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Paines

Constantly encountered aggravations -- editing edition

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 7:18 pm

In no particular order:

1) the system keeps you in clip selection mode even after completing the action for which that mode was entered. The result is, violently getting drawn back to that now uselessly marked clip, when you're in a completely different area of the timeline. There's *got* to be some way of cancelling selection mode, on a logical basis, without user intervention. Or maybe rethink the whole thing(?) It's not helping, on the contrary, this design runs against years of muscle memory -- Avid, Premiere, etc.

EDIT: to make matters even worse, the keyboard shortcut to de-select a clip frequently fails to work, usually after an editing operation. You have to click the clip, to turn off selection mode.

2) timeline focus is lost constantly, requiring timeline clicks to re-establish. Part of it's a bug -- use of cursor controls (previous/next clip) won't return the focus to the timeline after editing in a clip from the media pool (previous/next assigned to other keys *will* return focus to the timeline.) But, even with that fixed, it's still a constant work impediment, focus is lost constantly in the course of timeline editing. Operations which would normally result in viewing the result in the timeline should return focus to the timeline. So says this user, anyway.

3) it's too easy to unintentionally click on the curve or opacity icons of a timeline clip, thereby throwing the display out of whack. Do it on more than one click, and you may have a hard time resizing the timeline to normal, because you can't find the offending clip which opened everything up.

4) stopping timeline playback and hitting (for example) home, to begin at the beginning, typically doesn't work the first time. Relocating the play point requires clicking the timeline or hitting the home command twice, otherwise playback reverts to where playback was stopped.

5) "1x" in the source window (for audio wave files) isn't actually "1x". Earlier versions showed the entire file, beginning to end, but no longer.

Some of this has been mentioned before, but dealing with this stuff isn't getting any easier.

Win7 R12.5.2.
Last edited by John Paines on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Constantly encountered annoyances -- editing edition

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I agree with all your posts. Especially #1.

Note: I think for windows the win10 is recommended. I don't this that will change the behavior...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:34 am

Hey,

As I mentioned in another post, I used Resolve for the first time in a pro project including editing. Even i f this production test project was basic on purpose, I encountered some of your points too.

Coming from FCP7, your point n°2 got me crazy, even if I fortunately kept the FCP7 keyboard mapping : what a pain to cmd + "+" and cmd + "-" (zoom mac shortcuts) to zoom in and out and go back to the focus I had on the TL :evil:
Playhead place, TL focus and other* stuff bothered me sometimes, but I solved my deliver questions (a question of individual clips rendering and in and out points) at least.
* Going back and forth from Edit to Color showed another weird thing for me : I noticed that when you have say 3 video tracks, going to Color Page always showed the upper track node tree, even when another clip/track was selected in the Edit page, and I made a couple of mistakes because of that before discoverinf the real reason.

At the end, I can say that in the Edit page, I agree with all your points... And even if I could get around some, some others should really be changed imho.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Steve Alexander

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

Let's hope BMD takes these issues to heart. I would love to hear from Peter on this one.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve