Resolve as your NLE

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rick.lang

Resolve as your NLE

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 6:27 pm

I've been using Resolve 12.5.x as my sole NLE. Here's Marco Solorio's experience with Resolve in the last year:

https://twitter.com/onerivermedia/statu ... 0329981952

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

Re: Resolve as your NLE

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Interesting article. I always recommend Resolve to anybody about to transition from stills to video or for those who are approaching video editing for the first time but I also warn of Resolve's considerable hardware requirements to become an optimum post environment. (eg: Decklink with correctly calibrated 'video' monitor as a minimum requirement)

I personally still prefer to use an NLE that I'm thoroughly fluent with and one that works with a dedicated hardware control surface (Lightworks in my case) but I've long been a fan of eliminating 'round tripping' completely by exporting only an AAF/EDL/XML and finishing the programme in Resolve.

I think for those working in RAW formats and 4K and higher, as the article concludes, Resolve offers a complete solution with the proviso that you are prepared to equip the basic software it with a considerable amount of additional hardware.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve as your NLE

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:59 am

If you like to use another NLE, roundtripping will be working fine as long as you use professional sources.

A heap of problems creeps up with footage that lacks TC and/or reel names…
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve