Which format for HDR10 deliverables?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Piotr Wozniacki

Which format for HDR10 deliverables?

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm

So far, my finished "self-training" projects I've been exporting to DNxHR 444 (to retain the HDR flag) in mxf-op1 wrapper, and - when wanted to just watch them - I played them back on my Samsung SUHD from within Media page of Resolve... But time has come to make some "self-contained" movies, playable from outside Resolve - and I must say I have no idea which format to use for my deliveries...

It would be ideal to store them on an external HDD and play them back on the Samsung through its USB input. The KS8000 model supports quite a few of formats - alas, USB 2.0 limits the bitrate too much.

So another way would be to play the back from my PC (either through Decklink, or nVidia card - in 10 bits of course) - but I have yet to find a software video player that would carry over the HDR10 metadata. Hence the question to you guys:

- do you know if such a software video player exists? Preferably a free one, like VLC or Potplayer (none of them recognizes HDR10 flag, unfortunately)...

- which of the limited delivery format that Resolve can export to on Windows should I use? If none is really suitable, I can always render to Uncompressed 16-bit half-float, and render to some reasonably compressed format in Vegas Pro - but which one, if I'm to retain my HDR grade?

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Jean Claude

Re: Which format for HDR10 deliverables?

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:So far, my finished "self-training" projects I've been exporting to DNxHR 444 (to retain the HDR flag) in mxf-op1 wrapper, and - when wanted to just watch them - I played them back on my Samsung SUHD from within Media page of Resolve... But time has come to make some "self-contained" movies, playable from outside Resolve - and I must say I have no idea which format to use for my deliveries...

It would be ideal to store them on an external HDD and play them back on the Samsung through its USB input. The KS8000 model supports quite a few of formats - alas, USB 2.0 limits the bitrate too much.

So another way would be to play the back from my PC (either through Decklink, or nVidia card - in 10 bits of course) - but I have yet to find a software video player that would carry over the HDR10 metadata. Hence the question to you guys:

- do you know if such a software video player exists? Preferably a free one, like VLC or Potplayer (none of them recognizes HDR10 flag, unfortunately)...

- which of the limited delivery format that Resolve can export to on Windows should I use? If none is really suitable, I can always render to Uncompressed 16-bit half-float, and render to some reasonably compressed format in Vegas Pro - but which one, if I'm to retain my HDR grade?

Piotr

for HDR : potplayer only : no. But potplayer + madvr : may be. google it.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 pm

You need to encode h265 files with proper metadata in headers.
There is post with exact instruction, so look for it. No USB3 in such a new TV- crap :)
USB2 still should be fine for 100Mbit files.

If you want to play over PC than MPC-HC+MadVR is the way to go, but you still need the same files with correct metadata, which can be passed to TV.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 5:41 am

Thanks guys - a lot of interesting experimenting ahead of me!

:)

Piotr

PS. Just before I start downloads and installation: in the many setup guides they stress to use 32-bit version of MPC-HC for compatibility with other parts of the pipe; those guides are quite old though, so I'd like to know whether it's still valid? Shouldn't I bee using 64bit versions in 2016?
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 10:09 am

There use to be no 64bit version of madVR, but it's not the case anymore, so 64bit is the way to go.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks Andrew. Have just installed both - MP-HC plays my XAVC mxfs nicely (even the DCI 4K@50p doesn't stutter - and it used to in Potplayer), but am a bit disappointed it doesn't display picture at all (sound only) from my mxf-wrapped DNxHR HQX exports from Resolve...And they do carry the HDR flag - at least when played back from Resolve Media Browser!

Fact is the clip I tried to play is in 4096x1716 resolution - what should I adjust inn MP-HC Options? Or is it the codec?

Also, on a more general note of this thread: Does the MP-HC/madVR combo deliver 10bits through nVidia card over HDMI, in UHD/25 or 50p?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:09 pm

DNxHR is not yet supported.
It's still being optimised in ffmpeg.
I don't think MPC will read HDR flags out of MXF- you need h265 I think, but you may be able to force stream to be flagged as HDR, so maybe TV will switch to HDR. Ideally you need proper headers with HDR details,so TV can use them. Some people reported this working well (apparently).
MadVR can work at 10bit, but you have to be in full screen exclusive mode.
You also want to make sure that player is in proper refresh rate- there should be option which will switch to source fps automatically (if not set correct in Nvidia panel).

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:DNxHR is not yet supported.

Evidently. So the only way is to export EXR (which codec?) from Resolve, and trans-code to H.265 using ffmpeg, right? I didn't touch that part yet - just tried to play-back my DNxHR HQX clip which does convey the HDR flag (at least when played back from Resolve)...
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's still being optimised in ffmpeg.

What is - DNxHR?
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I don't think MPC will read HDR flags out of MXF- you need h265 I think, but you may be able to force stream to be flagged as HDR, so maybe TV will switch to HDR. Ideally you need proper headers with HDR details,so TV can use them. Some people reported this working well (apparently).

No, it doesn't seem to work here - but that may be due to the fact that DNxHR clips don't play at all. Which format/codec that I could export from Resolve with HDR flag is actually supported by MP-HC already, so I could try this approach before I go the HEVC route?
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:MadVR can work at 10bit, but you have to be in full screen exclusive mode. You also want to make sure that player is in proper refresh rate- there should be option which will switch to source fps automatically (if not set correct in Nvidia panel).

Yeah, I tried all those settings in madVR configuration - but my problem is even deeper:

- a regular XAVC footage is only played back properly when:

1. I don't specify output=madVR in MP-HC options; then it plays full screen on each of my nVidia-driven monitors, including the Samsung full screen UJD and/or 4K

2. When I do set output to madVR, only my 1st nVidia monitor (2560x1080, 8 bit) works properly in both windowed and full-screen modes. On the Samsung (nVidia 2nd display), going full screen blanks the screen, followed by nVidia driver resetting. Which of madVR settings could be responsible for that?

Thanks, Andrew:)

Piotr

PS. Something is definitely mis-configured in my madVR installation, as even an MP4 QuickTime clip exported from Resolve doesn't play on my Samsung, and causes driver reset :( As per point 2 above with DNxHR - only this QT file is very light with just 8bit, 4:2:0 !

Jean Claude

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 2:43 pm

to test: export the clip from Davinci Resolve with a lossless codec and HDR flags and encode with handbrake which have profile H265 main 10 that is to save the HDR flag. (Not tested)

handbrake.jpg
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 pm

It's not going to work- it's far from being that easy :)
You have to add all needed commands and actual values. There is very detailed thread on the forum about it.

What is Resolve's HDR flagging? How some other app meant to read it if there is no standard for flagging it in DNxHR or MXF/MOV container itself? As far as I know only h265 has a standardised way of storing this metadata.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:DNxHR is not yet supported.

Evidently. So the only way is to export EXR (which codec?) from Resolve, and trans-code to H.265 using ffmpeg, right? I didn't touch that part yet - just tried to play-back my DNxHR HQX clip which does convey the HDR flag (at least when played back from Resolve)...
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's still being optimised in ffmpeg.

What is - DNxHR?
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I don't think MPC will read HDR flags out of MXF- you need h265 I think, but you may be able to force stream to be flagged as HDR, so maybe TV will switch to HDR. Ideally you need proper headers with HDR details,so TV can use them. Some people reported this working well (apparently).

No, it doesn't seem to work here - but that may be due to the fact that DNxHR clips don't play at all. Which format/codec that I could export from Resolve with HDR flag is actually supported by MP-HC already, so I could try this approach before I go the HEVC route?
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:MadVR can work at 10bit, but you have to be in full screen exclusive mode. You also want to make sure that player is in proper refresh rate- there should be option which will switch to source fps automatically (if not set correct in Nvidia panel).

Yeah, I tried all those settings in madVR configuration - but my problem is even deeper:

- a regular XAVC footage is only played back properly when:

1. I don't specify output=madVR in MP-HC options; then it plays full screen on each of my nVidia-driven monitors, including the Samsung full screen UJD and/or 4K

2. When I do set output to madVR, only my 1st nVidia monitor (2560x1080, 8 bit) works properly in both windowed and full-screen modes. On the Samsung (nVidia 2nd display), going full screen blanks the screen, followed by nVidia driver resetting. Which of madVR settings could be responsible for that?

Thanks, Andrew:)

Piotr

PS. Something is definitely mis-configured in my madVR installation, as even an MP4 QuickTime clip exported from Resolve doesn't play on my Samsung, and causes driver reset :( As per point 2 above with DNxHR - only this QT file is very light with just 8bit, 4:2:0 !

You may have to set screens as independent in Nvidia panel. Never had problems with madVR. Set full screen exclusive mode and choose your Samsung TV as a full screen choice in MPC settings. CTR+J shows you very nice stats about madVR.

I don't think any other codec except h265 will pass HDR metadata (nothing else has some standardised way of storing it). Can you manually set TV to HDR mode?

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 am

By "setting screens as independent in nVidia panel" you what exactly, Andrew? I do have them set as independent - I'm extending my desktop to the Samsung, not cloning it...

I have the reason for not displaying the picture and driver resetting: it happened when the Samsung was forced to switch from its native resolution (3840x2160) to 4096x2160; I have disabled it and all is well now.

All, but not the levels, colors or gamma...In order to have the Samsung in 10bit mode, I must set it to YCbCr422 and limited output. But even though I toggle between "TV" and "PC monitor", and expecting limited vs. full range - the contrast is always low, colors washed out, and the gamma wrong. Yes it reacts to color/contrast/brightness/gamma controls in madVR, but to a very limited extent - why?

And as to HDR: yes, I can turn the fake "HDR+" mode on the Samsung, but that's not what I want. This mode just dimms the average level and boosts the peaaks, but it is not the true HDR10 mode which I should switch the TV automatically with the flag. But I understand what you're saying that the flag must be manually inserted into H.265 clips using ffmpeg, so will experiment with it.

Now my problem is the washed out levels and colors from MP-HC/madVR!

Piotr

PS. Interestingly, the only way to change the colors, levels, brightness and gamma of video from MP-HC/madVR (at least on the Samsung screen) is through nVidia panel - and not even "video settings", but "desktop settings"! This is my first software video player that acts like this - is it normal, or do you think I have mis-configured something? Also, Ctrl+J reports "BT.709 (best Guess)" even though I explicetely set the color space to P3-DCI... :?:

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 am

You set colorspace to P3 where? Nothing in your final file will say P3, so how MPC can know what it's?
Your levels/gamma are wrong as you are probably seeing HDR content as SDR.

Use this guide:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

and set things properly in devices tab (others are less important), so madVR knows your TV is HDR/P3 capable. This manual should keep you busy for weeks :)

madVR is very powerful (more than any pro solution) and it's your best bet.

If you still can't get your TV to operate in HDR mode (not fake HDR) then concentrate on USB playback, as this maybe the only way to do it.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 11:43 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You set colorspace to P3 where? Nothing in your final file will say P3, so how MPC can know what it's?
Your levels/gamma are wrong as you are probably seeing HDR content as SDR.

It does know, Andrew. After having entered P3-DCI into the box:
madVR settings - hdr target gamut1.JPG
madVR settings - hdr target gamut1.JPG (77.86 KiB) Viewed 32533 times

-when I click on it, it is automatically displayed like this:
madVR settings - hdr target gamut2.JPG
madVR settings - hdr target gamut2.JPG (80.16 KiB) Viewed 32533 times

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Use this guide:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

and set things properly in devices tab (others are less important), so madVR knows your TV is HDR/P3 capable. This manual should keep you busy for weeks :)

Piotr

PS, Of course I do nor want the above down-conversion from HDR - I was just experimenting...

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 11:46 am

Why you have option to process HDR content instead if simply pass through?
It also says that it doesn't send HDR flag over HDMI and you have to put your TV into HDR mode manually (which may not be possible).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Why you have option to process HDR content instead if simply pass through?

As I said - just experimenting. And pass through will only work some time in the future in madVR, plus I'll need HEVC with the HDR10 flag for that - right?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 11:49 am

You still have to somehow put TV into HDR mode. It won't do it for you, yet, so until you see your TV switching to HDR mode whole exercise won't give good results at all.
Have you typed this DCI-P3 or chosen from some menu? Those original numbers are describing P3.

You may be able to use other formats, e.g. 10bit uncompressed YUV which goes to madVR without a touch. Not sure about processing inside madVR- this has to be aware of e.g. P3 color space, so it's not trying to make it Rec709.

From AVS Forum:

Q: What is HDR mode, and how do I use it?
A: HDR mode is a separate mode specifically for HDR content. You cannot explicitly select the mode, but the TV switches to it automatically.
As of firmware version 1114: To enable HDR mode, you must be in Movie mode. If you are in Movie mode, the TV automatically switches to HDR mode when you start watching HDR content.
As with other modes, HDR mode has a separate set of settings. If you are in HDR mode and change a setting, the TV will remember it and use it the next time you watch an HDR video.
The default Backlight setting for HDR mode is 20 (max).
You will have NO explicit notification that you are watching HDR content (or HDR mode is enabled) if watching from Netflix or Amazon.
Assuming you did not change the HDR mode Backlight setting from its default, the best way to tell if HDR mode is enabled is that your Backlight setting will change from your regular Movie mode value to 20.
Alternatively, you can see how the picture changes with Dynamic Contrast settings. With SDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will often darken the image, while with HDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will brighten the image.

so looks like there is no way to force TV to use HDR mode! It has to switch to it by itself.

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 1:47 pm

if it is experimental:

In addition to configuration of madVR, HDR content requires:
LAV Filters 0.68.1: To pass HDR metadata to madVR;
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
(NEW: HEVC HDR HDR streams export the metadata to the video renderer (requires madVR 0.89.18 or newer))

Configure MPC HC to go to Options -> External Filters and add "LAV Splitter", "LAV Splitter Source" and "LAV Audio Decoder" setting have Prefer Them.

In madVR: HDR => pass through

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
From AVS Forum:

Q: What is HDR mode, and how do I use it?
A: HDR mode is a separate mode specifically for HDR content. You cannot explicitly select the mode, but the TV switches to it automatically.
As of firmware version 1114: To enable HDR mode, you must be in Movie mode. If you are in Movie mode, the TV automatically switches to HDR mode when you start watching HDR content.
As with other modes, HDR mode has a separate set of settings. If you are in HDR mode and change a setting, the TV will remember it and use it the next time you watch an HDR video.
The default Backlight setting for HDR mode is 20 (max).
You will have NO explicit notification that you are watching HDR content (or HDR mode is enabled) if watching from Netflix or Amazon.
Assuming you did not change the HDR mode Backlight setting from its default, the best way to tell if HDR mode is enabled is that your Backlight setting will change from your regular Movie mode value to 20.
Alternatively, you can see how the picture changes with Dynamic Contrast settings. With SDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will often darken the image, while with HDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will brighten the image.

so looks like there is no way to force TV to use HDR mode! It has to switch to it by itself.

Is this about the Samsung SUHD?

I'm currently at firmware 1142, and things are a bit different:

- I do not use "Movie mode" (in fact, this option is grayed out and inaccessible when HDR is fed into HDMI)
- Indeed, I'm using max backlight (20), and increasing Dynamic Contrast indeed makes the image brighter (whereas in SDR mode, the overall brightness level drops)

For my Samsung it's really enough to sense the HDR flag over HDMI in order to switch into the above settings, which is confirmed in two ways:

1) a pop-up "a HDR movie is playing" in the upper left corner which appears e.g. I power the TV on with my Decklink being active (i.e. Resolve HDR project open), and
2) when I switch between HDMI ports of my TV, upon picking the Decklink connection another info bar appears in the upper right corner, saying [HDR][UHD 25(50)p].

None of the above pops-up when I choose my nVidia connection, even while playing a clip exported from a Resolve HDR project, so still a long way to go... Bat that was DNxHR - I will try exporting a short clip in 10bit Uncompressed YUV - will Cineform 422 10 bit suffice?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Is this about the Samsung SUHD?

I'm currently at firmware 1142, and things are a bit different:

- I do not use "Movie mode" (in fact, this option is grayed out and inaccessible when HDR is fed into HDMI)
- Indeed, I'm using max backlight (20), and increasing Dynamic Contrast indeed makes the image brighter (whereas in SDR mode, the overall brightness level drops)

For my Samsung it's really enough to sense the HDR flag over HDMI in order to switch into the above settings, which is confirmed in two ways:

1) a pop-up "a HDR movie is playing" in the upper left corner which appears e.g. I power the TV on with my Decklink being active (i.e. Resolve HDR project open), and
2) when I switch between HDMI ports of my TV, upon picking the Decklink connection another info bar appears in the upper right corner, saying [HDR][UHD 25(50)p].

None of the above pops-up when I choose my nVidia connection, even while playing a clip exported from a Resolve HDR project, so still a long way to go... Bat that was DNxHR - I will try exporting a short clip in 10bit Uncompressed YUV - will Cineform 422 10 bit suffice?

Piotr

Yes, it's about your TV and I fear that you have no hope.
In order to get HDR mode TV has to detect proper HDMI flagging, which is not supported yet on madVR and I don't think there is any home player which will have support for it atm. What format you're playing is irrelevant in such a case (whatever it has HDR flagging or not as it won't e passed to HDMI anyway).
Looks like your only hope is built in player inside TV over USB. This should work fine with h265 and correct headers.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Jean Claude wrote:if it is experimental:

(NEW: HEVC HDR HDR streams export the metadata to the video renderer (requires madVR 0.89.18 or newer))

Configure MPC HC to go to Options -> External Filters and add "LAV Splitter", "LAV Splitter Source" and "LAV Audio Decoder" setting have Prefer Them.

This doesn't work, unfortunately - or my Cineform Uncompressed YUV doesn't carry HDR flag:(

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Nothing will (at least in some standard way which TV or other app can understand)- except h265.
Resolve may use own singling (I doubt even in this). When you export a file it will have most likely no headers or standard Rec.709, so don't waste time here.
Encode h265 MP4 based on other thread and use USB. If this is working then in the future (once madVR can trigger HDR mode) it should work from MPC player also (and maybe not only from h265).

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:if it is experimental:

This doesn't work, unfortunately - or my Cineform Uncompressed YUV doesn't carry HDR flag:(

Piotr

Convert the clip to HEVC and try.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Yeah... well - thank you Guys for your assistance in my endeavors. I'll try and go the H.265 route, and keep you posted :)

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:48 pm

You can also try if Scratch Play (with TV connected as 2nd display) can trigger HDR mode in your TV.

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm

to test the chain MPCHC / LAV filter / madVR -> your TV : you can download a clip http://4ktv.de/testvideos/ 4K HDR H265 (HEVC).
(download are from MEGA : google chrome is better browser for MEGA).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Or try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Sgcx ... sp=sharing

which is done based on the info in other thread. Copy to USB and check if it triggers HDR mode or not.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Jean Claude wrote:to test the chain MPCHC / LAV filter / madVR -> your TV : you can download a clip http://4ktv.de/testvideos/ 4K HDR H265 (HEVC).

These files are not very good. Most are encoded in handbrake, so no headers for HDR or P3 etc. Not very good testing material (video may be good).

This looks more accurate:

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:to test the chain MPCHC / LAV filter / madVR -> your TV : you can download a clip http://4ktv.de/testvideos/ 4K HDR H265 (HEVC).

These files are not very good. Most are encoded in handbrake, so no headers for HDR or P3 etc. Not very good testing material (video may be good).

This looks more accurate:

maybe these clips are not suitable for a test for you but I downloade the clip "ok_h265_10bit_62Mbit_59fps_LG_Chess_HDR.mp4" and a test is enough. I do not have a TV HDR, so I defer to software solutions POWERDVD.
(Left POWERDVD, right W10 player). OK Powerdvd is not free ...

HDR decode vs NO_1.jpg

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 5:06 pm

I downloaded different one, but I can see that only 2 of them are marked as HDR, so maybe that' why :P

Content maybe HDR, but if flagging is poor then it's not good.
TV has to switch into HDR mode and in order to do so it needs to see some metadata in file (when played over USB) or special flag on HDMI.
If you could simply turn on HDR mode in Tv with a press of a button then they would be fine, but this TV doesn't have such a button :) It can only switch to HDR by itself based on metadata.

How does MPC or TV meant to know that video inside is HDR? Just because it's UHD or 10bit?

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Agree, flags HDR should be read by LAV filter and transmitted to madVR and then the results sent to the TV and two solutions:
HDMI is able to interpret the FLAG automatically or it must manually switch the TV in HDR mode. I do not have a TV HDR. If you have one: how is in your home?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 5:21 pm

I don't have one either.

That LG sample has correct metadata, so works fine in PowerDVD, but this is not the end of the problem :)

Jean Claude

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 pm

piotr if correctly read the same HEVC HDR: we will see. I wonder if Piotr should convert from DAVINCI RESOLVE in EXR? if possible ? and play EXR with DJV imaging ?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 6:23 pm

It won't make any difference.
You need a player which properly forms HDR flagging on HDMI output, same way as Resolve does on BM cards.
It requires proper implementation and accessing GPU drivers' features.

Leave it to madVR author, he will do it as it's possible:

https://developer.nvidia.com/displaying ... -and-bolts

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 8:20 am

Andrew, Jean-Claude -

I downloaded two HDR clips - the ok_Sony_4k_HDR_Camp.mp4 and the ok_h265_10bit_62Mbit_59fps_LG_Chess_HDR.mp4. Here are my findings:

1. As Andrew suggested, when played back from a HDD connected to my Samsung directly, they both switch the TV to HDR mode "explicitely" (the "[HDR]...." pop-up showing up)

2. When played back from my PC through MP-HC/madVR chain, no HDR pop-up appears and - even though looking almost the same as per Point 1 - the picture is definitely not truly HDR*

3. The good thing is that even the USB 2.0 limited speed won't prevent me from watching great-looking images from a stand-alone HDD; both clips mentioned (but particularly the LG one) looked amazing! This has made me even more impatient about devising a good workflow of encoding to HDR-flagged, HEVC deliverables! And to think that the LG clip is just above 60 Mbps, and the Sony one - 75 Mbps...

4. The even better thing is that I can cast clips, located on my PC, to the Samsung via Youtube - and this playback behaves exactly like directly from an attached HDD (Point 1) !!! Meaning that:

- the HDR pop-up appears
- the mode switches to "Movie" (something not available with my nVidia HDMI connection, which only offers "Dynamic", "Natural" and "Standard" modes)

HDR cast to Samsung.JPG
HDR cast to Samsung.JPG (28.19 KiB) Viewed 32434 times

* To make 100% sure that my MP-HC/madVR playback can put my Samsung into true HDR10 mode just like the direct playback from HDD and/or casting via YT does, I need some more time experimenting, because - even though the picture really does look great - other aspects are still uncertain and even strange to me. Most important is that - with true HDR recognition - the "Movie" mode is made available and switched to by the Samsung; it happens with directly-atached HDD, casting through Youtube from my PC, and monitoring Resolve HDR projects via Decklink; it DOES NOT happen with MP-HC/madVR playback. This requires more insight into both MP-HC and madVR settings, but also into my Samsung settings as - opposite to what that AV Forum quote from Andrew says - the Movie mode actually decreases Backlight from the maximum (20) value down to just 10... Strange, and requiring some serious investigation on my side.

But: so far so good on the playback side - but as far as encoding my own stuff I'm still far from being successful...

Piotr

Jean Claude

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am

Go through a HDD is a good idea. Perhaps better than install on their PC a lot of software. In addition it works ...Now it only remains to make your own HDR HEVC and enjoy.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:17 am

Using DNLA/streaming to TV should give you exactly the same result as playing form USB. It's TV playing file directly, just the way how you deliver file to TV is different.

USB2 should be good for files up to about 150Mbit (20MB/s). This should give you with h265 very decent quality even for 4K (better then BD UHD can).
Don't know what type is WI-FI on your TV, but if you connect it over cable then maybe you will have 1Gbit connection(?), so can play much higher bitrate file using this way.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:21 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Or try this:

which is done based on the info in other thread. Copy to USB and check if it triggers HDR mode or not.

Unfortunately, this clip does NOT trigger HDR the way those linked to by Jean-Claude... Also, when cast to Samsung, a message "Audio incompatible" appears... This worries me as - if I understand correctly - the clip has been encoded in ffmpeg into HDR-flagged HEVC, and this seems to be the only way I can make my Resolve deliveries recognizable as HDR by my TV...

So: which way of encoding to H.265 I should try as quickly as possible?
- what to export from Resolve?
- how to transcode it to HEVC using ffmpeg?
- use LAV filters in MP-HC or not?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:04 am

Download this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpeg ... p/download

and put ffmpeg on the root of C drive.

Export 10bit uncompressed MOV and run this command in cmd (windows start search for cmd)

C:\ffmpeg -i "path to source file" -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -c:v libx265 -preset fast -g 50 -b:v 100M -x265-params bframes=3:vbv-bufsize=150000:vbv-maxrate=150000:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=smpte-st-2084:colormatrix=bt2020nc:masterdisplay="G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)":max-cll="1000,400" -c:a aac -b:a 320K "path to output.mp4"

The best is to copy command into text file and change it there. All has to be in one line. Then copy an paste into cmd window (right click/copy).
Source and output have to have extensions. Numbers are for D65P3 1000-nits max.

update: ffmpeg ha sno support for parsing mastersiplay info, but HDR mode still should work. TV may not read this info at all. It's not present in other sample files.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:07 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:

Unfortunately, this clip does NOT trigger HDR the way those linked to by Jean-Claude... Also, when cast to Samsung, a message "Audio incompatible" appears... This worries me as - if I understand correctly - the clip has been encoded in ffmpeg into HDR-flagged HEVC, and this seems to be the only way I can make my Resolve deliveries recognizable as HDR by my TV...

Piotr

Are you sure it doesn't trigger HDR when played from USB/cast?
Audio warning is there as clip has no audio- funny error in Samsung TVs (seen it in the model).

Jean Claude

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:21 am

Encoding :
I was offered StaxRip that encodes with a pipe GPU => ffmpeg but ffmpeg alone is more than enough on a good PC

http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-he ... page1.html

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:24 am

Forgotten about handbrake- easier to use and does have custom commands parser, but no 10bit.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:33 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:

Piotr

Are you sure it doesn't trigger HDR when played from USB/cast?
Audio warning is there as clip has no audio- funny error in Samsung TVs (seen it in the model).

I'm sure - it doesn't. As doesn't my first encoded own file - even though it plays as h.265, no HDR..

Piotr

PS. Correction - I encoded it using your proposed syntax exactly, and Bingo! I do have HDR :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:48 am

Do you think your TV needs masterdisplay info?
I think some read this flag, others don't.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am

Please change transfer=smpte-st-2084 in last command to: transfer=bt2020-10

then you can try:

-c:v libx264 -preset fast -g 50 -b:v 100M -x264-params bframes=3:vbv-bufsize=150000:vbv-maxrate=150000:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=bt2020-10:colormatrix=bt2020nc -c:a aac -b:a 320K

This may give answer what triggers HDR mode.

Andrew

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:06 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:C:\ffmpeg -i "path to source file" -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -c:v libx265 -preset fast -g 50 -b:v 100M -x265-params bframes=3:vbv-bufsize=150000:vbv-maxrate=150000:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=smpte-st-2084:colormatrix=bt2020nc:masterdisplay="G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)":max-cll="1000,400" -c:a aac -b:a 320K "path to output.mp4"

Source and output have to have extensions. Numbers are for D65P3 1000-nits max.

This does play as HDR, but the picture isn't bright enough (super-brights are lower than in my source Resolve project). Probably I should use DCI-P3 and 1500 nits as the max. How to code this exactly? The DCI-P3 is 0.680 0.320 0.265 0.690 0.150 0.060 0.3127 0.3290 - how to "translate" it?

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Do you think your TV needs masterdisplay info?
I think some read this flag, others don't.

To answer that, I need to play with DCI-3P and max brightness, so please answer my questions above (for a super-fast training course in ffmpeg :) :) :))

Piotr

Jean Claude

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Forgotten about handbrake- easier to use and does have custom commands parser, but no 10bit.

handbrake is not used in StaxRip. You have to read from page 5 and later.
I will test. It is experimental but NVencC / H265 and NVIDIA 1070/1080 it will (should) go fast. :)

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:12 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Please change transfer=smpte-st-2084 in last command to: transfer=bt2020-10

ST.2084 is what I used in Resolve, and it's closer in HEVC ouput to my gamma than your proposed 2020.

Working on the second part :)

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:14 am

Also, the h.265s I'm getting can be cast as HDR, but they crash MP-HC - why?

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:19 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Please change transfer=smpte-st-2084 in last command to: transfer=bt2020-10

ST.2084 is what I used in Resolve, and it's closer in HEVC ouput to my gamma than your proposed 2020.

Working on the second part :)

Piotr

I'm trying to find what triggers HDR mode- smpte-2048 flag was 1 of the possible variables. But if rec2020 also doest it then it's not smpte-2048.
It maybe just a fact that stream is flagged as Rec.2020.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve