PostgresQL Database on Mac OSX Sierra

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lukas Schnurrenberger

PostgresQL Database on Mac OSX Sierra

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi everyone

We just upgraded our MacPro to OSX Sierra (clean, new installation).
Reinstalled Davinci Resolve 12.5 and wanted to restore our backuped PostgresQL Database, wich we use from different Macs (hosted on the upgraded Mac Pro).

Unfortunately, it seems that Davinci Resolve did not install PostgreSQL8.4.. There is no /Library/PostgreSQL folder..
Restoring the Databas gives Error back. I think it is because no SQL Server is running..

Is there another way, to manually install and activate PostgreSQL?

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Lukas

Mark Sterne

Re: PostgresQL Database on Mac OSX Sierra

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:36 pm

As of about three weeks ago, according to this post from BMD support:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51104&p=303622&hilit=Sierra#p303622

PostgreSQL does not work in Sierra.

You would have to go back to El Capitan.

Lukas Schnurrenberger

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 5:55 am

Hi Mark

Thank you for the quick reply..
Do you know if this is a temporary issue of Sierra or won't it be possible to use PostgreSQL Databases in the future? Is Davinci planning to develop another solution for shared Databases?

Thanks for your opinion.
Regards
Lukas

Mark Sterne

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Sorry, I don't know the answers to these questions. Maybe someone else here can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattfezz

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 am

+1 - will postgresql be supported in Sierra in the future?
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Lukas Schnurrenberger

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Okay, seems no one to know that...

Other question. How can i recover the postgresql database, which exists in a.backup file with my OSX sierra machine? As discribed, i cannot open it over the restore function of DR. Is there another way?

Thanks for you help
Bests Lukas

Lukas Schnurrenberger

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 pm

I found this note in the Post about the latest DR update from 28/10:

Upgrading your PostgreSQL database server on Mac

Until DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2, the Mac installer used to ship with PostgreSQL version 8.4.2. Starting from macOS Sierra 10.12, PostgreSQL version 8.4 is no longer supported. If you intend to upgrade to the latest OS, you will need to upgrade your PostgreSQL database server to version 9.5.4 prior to upgrading macOS. Once your PostgreSQL installation has been upgraded and your data has been ported, you can then proceed with your macOS upgrade.

We have provided apps to simplify upgrading your PostgreSQL version on your Mac. The apps along with instructions can be found in the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Upgrade PostgreSQL folder.

Starting from DaVinci Resolve 12.5.3, new installations will include PostgreSQL version 9.5.4.

For clarification, this PostgreSQL update is only required prior to upgrading to Mac OS Sierra.

What about when MacOS is already upgraded to Sierra? Is there a workaround for this case?
At least a solution to start a very new, blank, postgresql server in Sierra?

Thanks for your help.
Bests
Lukas

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Basically, if you've updated to Sierra, before following the PostgreSQL update process detailed in the Resolve 12.5.3 release, it's not going to work.

Simplest solution, IF you have a PostgreSQL database backup created before you installed Sierra, is to build a fresh El Capitan system drive, install Resolve 12.5.2, and during the 12.5.2 installation, when you get to the Installation type step, select Customize, and check the PostgreSQL Server checkbox.

When it's installed, launch Resolve, and in the Database Manager window, Restore the database backup. Verify it works properly. Then install Resolve 12.5.3, and follow the PostgreSQL update instructions.

Then install Sierra.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lukas Schnurrenberger

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Dwaine

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have one more question:

What about if we decide to start a whole new Database on Sierra (without restoring the old Database). Is there a possibility to build a new shared Database? Or will this be no more possible after this mistake? What about users who start with Davinci on Sierra?

Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Lukas

John Burton

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 pm

+1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 9:34 pm

If you have a fresh Sierra system drive, that does not have PostgrSQL 8.4 installed, you could install Resolve 12.5.3, and on the Installation Type step, select Customize and check the PostgreSQL Server box, and it will install PostgreSQL 9.5.4 and you should be good to go with creating new databases.

If the Resolve installer sees PostgreSQL already installed, it won't install 9.5.4.

You could remove 8.4 manually, and then I would expect the 12.5.3 installer to install 9.5.4.
Dwaine Maggart

Javier Sanchez

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Have perform the update of postgres and I get a lot of errors. Then I trie to connect to the server an I get an error that I can connect to the database (like no info for this host on hb.conf) don't remember so I went back to old database... :(
Javier Sanchez Ortiz
Colorist (Telecine-Digital)
Owner

EnGamaDos S.p.A
www.engamados.cl

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 pm

If you have a shared database server, and you do the PostgreSQL 9.5.4 update, you will need to modify the pg_hba.conf file in the /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data folder to allow remote access.

Regarding errors, if you mean you saw errors when you ran the “Restore to PostgreSQL 9.5" app, those are normal.
Dwaine Maggart

Javier Sanchez

PostSat Nov 05, 2016 3:29 pm

And how do i edit on mac the pg_hba.conf to allow remote access.
Any guide please?
(I added the same line i use to have on the old database but i dont get access)
Javier Sanchez Ortiz
Colorist (Telecine-Digital)
Owner

EnGamaDos S.p.A
www.engamados.cl

John Burton

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Quick question...I'm slowly getting the components together to utilize a Windows machine as my main workstation and a Mac as my render station. I've yet to tackle the shared database, but if the database to be shared is on the Windows machine to I have to bother with PostgresQL on the Mac at all? Or if I do and I'm on Sierra, does the Windows machine need to be on 12.5.3 to have the same updated PostgresQL install? Right now both are on 12.5.2 and the Mac is on Sierra, but from what I can tell a version on PostgresQL hasn't been installed on it...Not exactly sure how to tell to be honest, but nothing is running in the activity monitor.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 7:03 pm

@Javier: Follow the procedure in the manual, and replace areas where the 8.4 folder is referenced, with 9.5. Also, since the start and stop server apps referenced in the manual don't exist in PostgreSQL 9.5, you'll need to restart the Mac after updating the pg_hba.conf file, for the changes to take effect.

@John: Be aware that it's a bad idea to have a shared database server also be a system you run Resolve on. If Resolve crashes or hangs the machine, any other users with projects open on the server will be affected.

That said, you don't need to have PostgreSQL installed on the Mac for it to be able to connect to a shared database server.
Dwaine Maggart

Sam Cruz

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 1:03 am

I never bother installing the "PostgresQL Database" components. What is it for exactly??

Matt Notaro

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 4:05 am

Is the documentation saying that ONLY the machine running the DB server needs to upgrade Postgres SQL to 9.5.4, even if that machine is still running El Cap 10.11.6?

Here is our setup:

Mac Mini - SQL DB Server - Currently running 10.11.6
Artist workstations: All are running 10.11.6, with a fresh install of Resolve 12.5.4
One Render workstation is now running 10.12.2, The only one of our machines currently running Sierra.

I have yet to launch resolve on any of our client machines, because I want to make sure everything is correct on our mac mini server first.

If I upgrade the SQL database to 9.5.4 (as stated in documentation) Will all machines be able to access the DB properly, including the one machine we have on Sierra?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:10 am

@Matt: I would recommend leaving it all alone. It's fine as is.

You only need to install PostgreSQL 9.5.4 on a machine if it needs to have PostgreSQL installed, and it needs to be updated to Sierra.

In your case, yes, only the Mac Mini would need to be upgraded. And that ONLY if you install Sierra on it. If you are leaving El Cap on the Mac Mini, it's fine as is. You don't need to upgrade to PostgreSQL 9.5.4.

But if you ever do want to upgrade the Mac Mini to Sierra, THEN you would need to do the Resolve PostgreSQL update process BEFORE you upgrade to Sierra.

In answer to your last question, if you do update the server to Sierra and 9.5.4 (doing the Resolve PostgreSQL update process first) all your clients will still be able to connect to it.

Resolve does not have to have PostgreSQL installed on the client machines to be able to connect to a PostgreSQL server.
Dwaine Maggart

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 9:25 pm

hey I'm an idiot and accidentally installed sierra without updating SQL.
I have Time Machine backups.
I have a database backup from last November. and probably have DRP of any projects since.
currently have SQL 8.4 installed on Sierra.

best course of action?
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 pm

:(

Zip the /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder and put it on a file sharing site and PM me the link.

Once I've verified I can recover your database, we'll trash the /Library/PostgreSQL folder, dump the trash, restart the Mac, and then run the Resolve installer, and at the Installation Type step of the Installer, select Customize, then tick the PostgreSQL installer box and finish the install.

Assuming you are installing a current Resolve version, that will install PostgreSQL 9.5, which runs under Sierra.

Then I'll send you a database backup file which you can Restore into the new database.
Dwaine Maggart

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:08 pm

ok so on my own Ive decided the database is gone and the Time Machine backups vaporize sql databases so no data there either.
I've manually deleted the sql 8.4 app on sierra and one other postgresql folder I found in a library or something.
Then ran the resolve 12.5.5 sql 9 updater app successfully.
then was able to restore the old November DB backup I had. I'm sure I've got drp of any jobs done since then because I've had to make drp of all projects constantly due to disappearing or corrupted projects in resolve (I guess one good side effect of that!).
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 pm

ACKKK! now I see your post!
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:12 pm

The folder is still in the trash so I'll zip and post - that will save me some grief if you can recover.
if not I'm pretty sure I can FrankenBuild it.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote::(

Zip the /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder and put it on a file sharing site and PM me the link.

Once I've verified I can recover your database, we'll trash the /Library/PostgreSQL folder, dump the trash, restart the Mac, and then run the Resolve installer, and at the Installation Type step of the Installer, select Customize, then tick the PostgreSQL installer box and finish the install.

Assuming you are installing a current Resolve version, that will install PostgreSQL 9.5, which runs under Sierra.

Then I'll send you a database backup file which you can Restore into the new database.

Link sent, file uploading...
thanks!
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Ryota Kurata

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 5:35 am

Hello,
I'm in the same situation.
I installed Sierra without updating PostgreSQL.

I use DaVinci Resolve from version 7.
It has been a year from release of Sierra, I think OK to upgrade. But mistake...

I only have PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder.
I installed 10.11 to another HDD,
installed Resolve 12.5.3,
copied /data folder.

But I can not make backup.
Do you have any suggestions?

Ryota Kurata

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm

I wrote here yesterday.
But my post is gone.

Why ???

Ciaran

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote::(

Hi Dwaine,

I have the same issue, may I email you our data folder?

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 6:37 pm

No. But you can post it on a file sharing site and PM me a link to the file.

You have PostgreSQL 8.4 on your Mac and updated to Sierra or newer without running the Resolve PostgreSQL migration tools?
Dwaine Maggart

Ciaran

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No. But you can post it on a file sharing site and PM me a link to the file.

Thanks, I'll get onto that now.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You have PostgreSQL 8.4 on your Mac and updated to Sierra or newer without running the Resolve PostgreSQL migration tools?

Yes, unfortunately. The person who updated it didn't realise it was an offline system for a reason.

Return to DaVinci Resolve