Wish - Nodes should remember their state Primary /Log

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jamie Dickinson

Wish - Nodes should remember their state Primary /Log

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 am

Subject line says it all...

Tero Ahlfors

Re: Wish - Nodes should remember their state Primary /Log

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 12:48 pm

I don't know what you mean. Can you elaborate on this?

Jamie Dickinson

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 pm

If I last used a node the with the Log grading controls selected, it should remember that state when I next select the node and if it was last used with the Primary controls it should remember that state. For example, if I select node 1 and adjust the primaries, then select node 5 and adjust the Log controls, then I reselect node 1, it would automatically switch the controls back to primaries as that's the last state node 1 was used in. I do this a lot and often forget to change the mode. Does that make sense? :)

JF Robichaud

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm

The opposite argument could be used here. If I have the Primary tab selected and I move to another node, I might want it to remain that way. If it changes to Log and I don't notice, then I end up making the wrong adjustment. You can use Option-Z to toggle Primary/Log.

Jamie Dickinson

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:03 pm

True but I'd like a preference option for this.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 am

JF Robichaud wrote:The opposite argument could be used here. If I have the Primary tab selected and I move to another node, I might want it to remain that way. If it changes to Log and I don't notice, then I end up making the wrong adjustment. You can use Option-Z to toggle Primary/Log.

I like this way too, but I understand the other idea.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 4:23 am

Jamie Dickinson wrote:If I last used a node the with the Log grading controls selected, it should remember that state when I next select the node and if it was last used with the Primary controls it should remember that state.

I agree with you in a way, but the problem is that you can have both a Log and a Primary correction in a single node at the same time. If you did that, what should the mode change to when this node is selected?

If I could make a simple suggestion: have Resolve save the state of the GUI at any one time, so it would simply revert to the last-used display. For example, if Node 1 was Curves, and Node 2 was Primaries, and Node 3 was an HSL Key, the display would automatically change to these specific modes when the node was selected. I think this could be done.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jamie Dickinson

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 am

Exactly, personally I'd like that option because I tend to only use one tool in each node most of the time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve