Delivering timeline with in/out points

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JP Perry

Delivering timeline with in/out points

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 am

I recently needed to output a video with a few seconds of black at the head and tail. So I set my in and out points in the timeline accordingly, and in the Deliver page set it to use these in/out points. Resolve seemed to disregard my out point since it was a few seconds after the last clip. The video ended on the last clip with no black afterwards.

I was able to devise a work-around, but I am wondering what is the proper way to do this?
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Delivering timeline with in/out points

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am

In the Edit page, have a look at:

Effects Library | Toolbox | Generators | Solid Color

Add a Solid Color clip at the end of your timeline.

Alternatively, in the Edit page you could add any video clip at the end of your timeline, and change the clip's Opacity to 0 (zero) in the Inspector.

-

JP Perry

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks, Peter. Glad to see another Portlander on here!
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Willian Aleman

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:In the Edit page, have a look at:

Effects Library | Toolbox | Generators | Solid Color

Add a Solid Color clip at the end of your timeline.

Alternatively, in the Edit page you could add any video clip at the end of your timeline, and change the clip's Opacity to 0 (zero) in the Inspector.

-

This issue in the Delivery page has been previously reported in another thread here.
What Peter has described above is a workaround to the In/Out points being ignored in the timeline of the Delivery page. Another workaround is to cut the clips in the Timeline Editor at the desire In/Out points previously to switch to the Delivery page.
The In/Out points in the Delivery page used to work in previous versions of DR. It's now a bug in the current version.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 1:32 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Add a Solid Color clip at the end of your timeline.

Being an old telecine guy, I always have a TAIL POP at the end of my projects, which is actually a rendered piece of black with a pop 2 seconds from the last frame of video (LFOA as the film lab people say). I created some files specifically for a tail pop, which are here free at this link:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/aSyCR

If the client doesn't want it, they can always chop it out before air. If I'm rendering a final delivery version, that wouldn't go on the master, but it would go on the final color-corrected version for archival storage.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JPOwens

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Marc Wielage wrote: TAIL POP at the end of my projects

I do this a lot, as well... it can make a difference when you start also generating versions and transcodes.

The biggie is render X fps @ Y fps; the infamous 23.98@25 being the biggie for a number of distributor deliverables that has been a near-constant math problem for the past couple of years, at least for me.

jPo

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 1:49 am

JPOwens wrote:I do this a lot, as well... it can make a difference when you start also generating versions and transcodes.

It's also helpful for sound mixing people or whoever is prepping the final deliverables, since they can verify a 2-pop at the head and a 2-pop at the tail. Once you have that and you know sync is good, snip those off, render the deliverable, and you're done.

I gotta say, SMPTE and the film community were pretty smart to come up with the 2-pop 90+ years ago. :)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve