Charging per corporate video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Grzegorz Najder

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 pm

I know that this is fundamental question, and assume that here was many discussions about it, but I need your help in estimatating price for the work. I work mainly with complex projects where the grading is part of overall price. Lately I started small job, and need to define the price for colors only. It's 10 min corporate with about two hundred shots filmed in log. I'm geting final file in ProRes, so no conforming. Client is expecting detailed grading with many power windows and tracking. They want me to define how many hours I need for this.
I don't want to get in to the trap so how do you think - how long would it take?

Appreciate for any suggestions.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Charging per corporate video

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 3:26 pm

trailers that are 2:30 and have 200 shots can take a day, advertising, 1 minute can take a day, some tv productions 1 episode can take a day...

very difficult to say.

I don't know your market either.

what about 500$ per hour, 4 hours minimum?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Grzegorz Najder

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks for replay Walter!

500$ per hour that's really good rate, but for sure I cant charge that much :) My hourly rate is 35-75 $. I was thinking something about 4 days, as it's really a lot of work with selective colors and tracking, so circa 40 hours. Wondering if it's not to much time. Usually it takes me one day to grade 2-3 min commercial. Maybe I am too much a perfectionist. But that's why client choose me :?

JPOwens

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Grzegorz Najder wrote:But that's why client choose me

Einstein proved that Time = Money.

Think about your hourly rate (how you choose between 35-75 I don't know), and the approximately 32-40 hours you may spend on this project, which seems pretty generous. Two hundred events, even if there are no common corrections and every one of them is unique, would be two days if you spent 5 minutes with each one of them - constructed, reviewed, approved and moving on. Are you going to be changing the color of wardrobe, tracking/relighting key elements that are moving in an an organic way, fixing exposure events (cinematographer, aka camera operator racked during a take)...? All of these are momentum killers.

Is the session going to be attended, or are you going in with a spot/look consultation and then "go 'way, I'll do the rest" followed by approval and revision? If the client wants to be that hands-on, then Walter's suggestion is not unreasonable, and if the client is uneasy, then you will have to decide whether you want to cap it at an amount (and leave yourself open to the client milking it beyond profitability for yourself) or try to convey to them that they are receiving value for money in some other way.

The main benefit that is being purchased is your expertise in positioning their product to their satisfaction.
Their own experience is a factor in deciding what that is worth. What amount of "pain" are you addressing?

jPo, CSI

Grzegorz Najder

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Thank you JP for your replay.

I didn't think to do such a simple calculation you mentioned. I think it's going to be heavy grading with many power windows and selective colors, so 5 min for the shot could be to little. Project is online so they are going to review my work with frame.io. and then we will make corrections.

P.S.
You guys helped me a lot. I did my math and sent the offer.
Many thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve