Grade in Resolve not matching LUT in Premiere

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Thorn

Grade in Resolve not matching LUT in Premiere

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 4:24 am

I'm grading a RED Helium commercial project, around 50 shots. Long story short, instead of grading natively in Resolve 12.5, I need to do the final grade export in Premiere (lots of compositing happening in Premiere, not able to render individual clips, and oh by the way - each of these clip grades get to cascade like a lovely little waterfall into about 22 other videos cut from the same material, so preserving some ability to copy grades around timelines is important). So, the editor and I agreed that grades would be applied in Premiere.

Since I vastly prefer doing the actual grade in Resolve, I'm simply exporting a 3D LUT for each clip and applying it to the RED RAW footage on my Premiere timeline via Lumetri Color. This is working well and is sufficient for my needs, except one thing.

They don't match.

What I'm seeing in Resolve is very, very different from what I'm seeing in Premiere. For the lifestyle footage I fudged it a little, but for the product shots, color accuracy is critical (it's a Vitamix machine, very monochrome, so any color shift will be glaringly obvious).

See the attached images (sorry, the machine is redacted, but you'll see what is happening).

It's not my first job with Resolve, but in the past I've finished in Resolve and not ever had to go back to Premiere. I'm very lost in knowing where to start troubleshooting the discrepancy. Is this a LUT implementation issue? A RAW metadata issue (no clue how to address that :( )? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Premiere_Color_Sample.jpg
Premiere, LUT applied
Premiere_Color_Sample.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Resolve_Color_Sample.jpg
Resolve grade
Resolve_Color_Sample.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Grade in Resolve not matching LUT in Premiere

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 8:42 pm

I can only guess...

calibration, extra ICC profiles, wrong raw settings.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JPOwens

Re: Grade in Resolve not matching LUT in Premiere

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:wrong raw settings.

Hue-wise, anyway, it does look like a kelvin difference, so it might be worth a look to see how the R3D deBayer/metadata settings are configured. Perhaps Resolve is looking at a "project" default, when it should be looking at the individual-clip camera metadata.

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve