Relinking footage from Resolve back to Premiere issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Olle Olsson

Relinking footage from Resolve back to Premiere issue

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi, there. I´m trying to find a good work flow between Davinci Resolve and Premiere

Now I have found something that works good except om big issue that is really strange.
Short explanation of my workflow
Import Cdngs to Resolve
export proxies
edit in premiere
export Xml to Resolve
then with the xml imported in Resolve I flag all the clips in the timeline and create a new one with full length clips that I grade.
then export as prores 4444

the with the Premiere project closed, I move the proxie files that I´m editing with to a new folder or other location. Open my project and it will warn me of missing files. I Click the Relink others automatically checkbox and then relink by tape name and hit Locate.
I navigate to the folder with the new graded prores 4444 footage is, find the first clip and press Ok. It will then re-link all the other files to the matching files in new folder.
My workflow is explained in the video watch from 13:33 after going back to Resolve!

Back in in premiere everything looks fine until I save and close the project. When I then open the project again the footage that has slowmotion/time remapping have been changed and acting really strange.
Lets say that I have a clip with 80% speed that are ramped up to 110% in the end. Now the part that should be 110% plays in more lite 50% but in the effect controls in still says 110%

When playing the prores 4444 footage in Quicktime it´s in 60 fps realtime so no problem there.

anyone that have a solution???

Thanks Olle

Olle Olsson

Re: Relinking footage from Resolve back to Premiere issue

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 11:51 am

No one that have some advice? It's really annoying!

Aaron Hinton

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm not sure about the time-remapping issue... But Premiere and Resolve are known for not talking well with time remapping. When sending the XML from Premiere to Resolve to begin with, I recommend making sure all effects are turned off. Then just re-apply them in Premiere after you've sent your graded clips to Premiere.

Also, I'd just like to mention that your relinking workflow seems a bit odd. Generally, when roundtripping from Premiere, to Resolve, and back to Premiere again, it's best to export another XML from Resolve and import that into Premiere.

So the workflow goes like this: 1) export XML from locked proxy sequence in Premiere, 2) import original camera footage into Resolve, 3) import XML from Premiere (and uncheck the "automatically import source clips" checkbox, so that it links to your original raw footage instead), 4) grade your footage in Resolve, 5) export footage from Resolve with new XML, 6) import new XML into Premiere, 7) overlay colored clips onto locked cut and re-apply any effects to those colored clips.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

Olle Olsson

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Aaron Hinton wrote:I'm not sure about the time-remapping issue... But Premiere and Resolve are known for not talking well with time remapping. When sending the XML from Premiere to Resolve to begin with, I recommend making sure all effects are turned off. Then just re-apply them in Premiere after you've sent your graded clips to Premiere.

Also, I'd just like to mention that your relinking workflow seems a bit odd. Generally, when roundtripping from Premiere, to Resolve, and back to Premiere again, it's best to export another XML from Resolve and import that into Premiere.

So the workflow goes like this: 1) export XML from locked proxy sequence in Premiere, 2) import original camera footage into Resolve, 3) import XML from Premiere (and uncheck the "automatically import source clips" checkbox, so that it links to your original raw footage instead), 4) grade your footage in Resolve, 5) export footage from Resolve with new XML, 6) import new XML into Premiere, 7) overlay colored clips onto locked cut and re-apply any effects to those colored clips.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

Thanks @Aaron Hinton I will test this workflow. I just have some questions about it.
Lets say I finish editing the proxeis, then the turn off all effects and export XML.
Import XML into the Resolve and grade. then export a new XML with proress 4444

When I then import the XML back to Premiere does it automatically override the proxies with the graded footage? and the I just turn on all the effects again? (if not, what´s the best way to do this manually then?)

I also wonder if it's possible add 1 seconds on the beginning / end on each clip When exporting the xml graded from Davinci?

Peter Cave

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 am

When you import the Premiere edit XML to Resolve, do NOT import media when the dialog box appears. Select the original media location from the bin dialog that appears and you can direct Resolve to look in your preferred location for linking the edited sequence.

When you render from Resolve, use the Premiere preset and it will automatically create a new XML in the render location. Import into Premiere.

I don't remove effects as any that are not readable by Resolve (3rd party effects etc.) are passed through to the output XML and will be applied when re-imported into Premiere.

Sometimes there are issues with sizing applied using the "Set frame size" options in Premiere.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Aaron Hinton

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 am

Olle Olsson wrote:When I then import the XML back to Premiere does it automatically override the proxies with the graded footage? and the I just turn on all the effects again? (if not, what´s the best way to do this manually then?)

I also wonder if it's possible add 1 seconds on the beginning / end on each clip When exporting the xml graded from Davinci?

Sorry for the late response. But here are the answers to both your questions:

When you import the new XML into Premiere, Premiere will create a new sequence with all the colored clips inside. Then all you need to do is copy those colored clips from that new sequence into your locked sequence. I normally overlay them on top of my uncolored footage, and compare each shot just to make sure everything lines up properly with the locked cut. And then you can just copy and paste any effects from the uncolored clips onto the colored clips (time remapping, warp stabilizer, etc).

And yes! You can add 1 second to the beginning /end of each clip. They're called "handles." So on Resolve's delivery page, you'll want to go to the "Premiere XML" tab. And then go into the advanced options and type however many handle frames you want to export with your clips. If your footage is 24fps, you'll want to add 24 frame handles (because that will equate to 1 second on each end of the clip). If it's 30fps, do 30. If it's 60fps, do 60, etc.

Return to DaVinci Resolve