Resolve Lite for Leopard

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jib

Resolve Lite for Leopard

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi, I'm running OSX Leopard 10.5.8 on a mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro. I need to install DaVinci Resolve Lite for a new job, but -for several reasons- I cannot upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion. I was wondering if any of you wonderful people has still got the .dmg file of a version of DaVinci Resolve that would run on Leopard (or even Snow Leopard). I've gotten in touch with Blackmagic Tech Support and they were unable to help me on this one.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Jib

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Lite for Leopard

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Resolve was never supported on Leopard.

Resolve V9 is not supported in Snow Leopard.

If you can find a Lite version 8, that should run under Snow Leopard, if your MBP has supported graphics and 8GB of RAM.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jib

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Resolve Lite v.8?

Many thanks!!

Brent Marginet

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 am

You can upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion however you must do it in stages or create a bootable USB Stick and install from scratch. To do it in stages you would need to upgrade to Snow Leopard and do all the OS updates then you could upgrade to Lion and once again do all system updates. Now you would be in the position to upgrade to Mountain Lion if your machine supports it. Mountain Lion requires a machine with a full 64 bit architecture and at least 256mb of Video RAM.

You can find instructions on the web on how to make a bootable USB Stick for Lion or Mountain Lion. I'm not sure if you machine is new enough to boot from USB so you may have to do what I did with my Laptop and build a Bootable Firewire Install Hard Drive. You would need to backup all the data on your drive because to make the full leap to Lion or Mountain Lion would require you to Format your Hard Drive. They require a GUID Partition map.

My recommendation is to do the full leap as you will get a much cleaner OS install this way. What I usually do is buy a new hard drive for the install and once I've got an OS installed I do a user migration from the old one.

Jib

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Audio64Live, thank you. My whole purpose was exactly to avoid all the stuff you describe :)

Jib

Return to DaVinci Resolve