MXF recognition in Resolve11

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ulrich Skalicky

MXF recognition in Resolve11

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 am

Hi,

I´m new to the forum and have a question regarding media processing in Resolve. I´m pretty new to the program (my main occupation is editing on AVID) and have only worked on a couple of features and currently a movie trailer and I have run into the same issue all the time now. My material was shot in XAVC Intra 4k S-Log3 and Resolve simply refuses to find the source media, it is not even displayed in the media directory although it is supposedly a supported codec. Since I am freelancing - meaning little time to experiment - and delivery was in HD anyway I converted the material in DNxHD 185x to keep the 10bit but nevertheless there have been some issues with banding especially in blurred backgrounds (I searched the forum and found a couple of threads on that issue but none that matched my upcoming question). Yesterday I was so frustrated that I tried converting (in Avid) to XAVC HD to see if that made any difference and Resolve also refused to open, relink or even display my Avid .mxf files. I then generated via AMA export a OP1a mxf in XAVC HD and tha opened properly and showed little to none banding after the grade, even if mastered to an 8-bit-file! I now suspect that the problem might not even be the codec but something with the mxf Atom files that Avid creates (although these open fine in DNxHD). Has anybody experienced soemthing similar and maybe some advice how to get the original XAVC 4K running?
If anybody recommends an update to Resolve 12, I had the same problem at a differnent client´s place where they are running 12...

Thanks,

Ulrich
Workstation:
HP Z820 w/Windows7pro
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN black
NVIDIA Quadro K4000
24x Intel Xeeon CPU E5-2630 v2 2,6GHz
DaVinci Resolve 11.3.1.018

Return to DaVinci Resolve