Is there any way to smoothly rotate a clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Thomsen

Is there any way to smoothly rotate a clip?

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello,
I just thought it would be nice of the software could rotate a video clip smoothly, say: I want to zoom in and create a circle motion in 180 degrees. I couldn't find the option anywhere. I know how to rotate my picture but not a smooth transition.

Kind regards and thank you.

John Paines

Re: Is there any way to smoothly rotate a clip?

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 pm

In the edit page, try the "rotation angle" setting in the Transform section of the Inspector, which uses keyframes.

JPOwens

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 pm

You accomplish this task with keyframes.

The simplest interface is in the Edit Page. Click to select the clip you wish to transform and then use the "diamond" icon to set a cue point wherever you want to establish a boundary for the effect. With the proper interface mode, you will get the standard box, centre point and rotate handle. Twirl away. If you want to refine the effect, open the disclosure icon (the little "curved line" in the sequence associated with the clip) and you will be able to slide the keyframe around, set smoothing and acceleration rates with spline handles.

jPo, CSI

Andreas Thomsen

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 1:31 pm

JPOwens wrote:You accomplish this task with keyframes.

The simplest interface is in the Edit Page. Click to select the clip you wish to transform and then use the "diamond" icon to set a cue point wherever you want to establish a boundary for the effect. With the proper interface mode, you will get the standard box, centre point and rotate handle. Twirl away. If you want to refine the effect, open the disclosure icon (the little "curved line" in the sequence associated with the clip) and you will be able to slide the keyframe around, set smoothing and acceleration rates with spline handles.

jPo, CSI

Thank you (both!) for your reply. I have now fiddled with this for what seems like ages, only with minor success. Still no automatic movement/rotation. I'm not sure what you mean by a "diamond" icon. There is an icon of a square rotated 45 degrees. I have tried fiddling with this but with no result. The picture remains immovable.
Is it possible that you could take me through this step by step? I simply don't understand how to use this "boundary" effect.
However, I succeeded in entering the Transform mode, thus I can now toy with the rotation, zoom, position etc. So far so good!

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 6:57 am

I am also trying to find a recipe on how to rotate smoothly in DR 14. I'm not sure how the keyframe "diamond" icon is used. After selecting the clip, do I select the frame and click on the rotation diamond icon to mark-in and go the ending frame and click on the icon to mark-out? Manually rotating the circle does not make it smooth too. Any ideas on where we can get good info on how to keyframe and smoothly rotate a clip? Thanks!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jean Claude

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I am also trying to find a recipe on how to rotate smoothly in DR 14. I'm not sure how the keyframe "diamond" icon is used. After selecting the clip, do I select the frame and click on the rotation diamond icon to mark-in and go the ending frame and click on the icon to mark-out? Manually rotating the circle does not make it smooth too. Any ideas on where we can get good info on how to keyframe and smoothly rotate a clip? Thanks!

Hi,

A solution with the V15B5 is to use text +. We make its first settings and keyframe in the Fusion tab:
Font
size
Transform: lines
Keyframe: Y
(and / or)
Transform Characters
Keyframe: Y

We return to the EDIT tab:
(we can add: playback => Render cache smart)
ellory.gif

In the Inspector open the Template tab and add Motion Blur and play with the settings.
setting.jpg

(Personally I will play this test with a longer duration but the size of the downloads is limited :) )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Clever! Thanks, Jean.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dave Shortman

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 am

Its all very well documented in the manual and there are countless YouTube vidoes showing you how to do this.

Jean Claude

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Dave Shortman wrote:Its all very well documented in the manual and there are countless YouTube vidoes showing you how to do this.

Hi,

Fortunately we have been waiting for you to explain how to do it.
Next time: go ahead :) .
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve