Optimize / Cache Question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kelly Vander Linda

Optimize / Cache Question

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 2:13 pm

When in color mode wouldn't it limit the range to work with when using optimized or cached media? Especially RAW files? If it does, and I were to work with native but during playback switch to optimized or cache, is it an accurate representation? Guess I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Thanks much for the expertise.
MBP M2Max 64GB RAM 38 Core GPU

John Paines

Re: Optimize / Cache Question

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Only a few optimized media/cache formats will retain full clip data. Others will clip the footage. See the section in the manual on optimized media, which covers this issue.

You can revert to the original files, by unchecking "use optimized media" in the Playback menu. In that case, you're back to the originals for grading and playback. But also make sure the Deliver page is set to export from the originals, not use the optimized media or caches.

EDIT: you may also have to turn off/delete cache files, to ensure they're not in use at any given moment. This is not as easy as turning optimized media on and off.

Kelly Vander Linda

Re: Optimize / Cache Question

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks much for the info, John.
MBP M2Max 64GB RAM 38 Core GPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve