Audio Export Problem with Individual Clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jan Klier

Audio Export Problem with Individual Clips

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 12:39 am

We've run into some unexpected behavior exporting individual clips in Resolve 12.5.4 which leaves the audio blank during export.

We imported footage from an FS7 that was recorded in ProRes. We also imported the audio files from an external Zoom F8 recorder. Then we used the 'synch with timecode and append' function to append the audio channels to the video clips, which all worked just fine. We can hear proper synced sound.

It should be mentioned that the camera did not have any audio feed, so the audio channels on the video clips are empty (muted). The audio only exists on the synced external audio clips.

We then deleted the first audio track with the empty audio portion of the video clips, leaving the synched sound on audio track 1.

When we then run a delivery job to render out the timeline as individual clips for the editor with the default video and audio settings we do get clips but they do not contain audio.

I've tried all kinds of variations of the delivery page settings, but it appears then we selecting 'individual clips' Resolve insists on using the audio that was embedded in the video clips, not what was appended during sync and is in the timeline.

Seems like a very fundamental sequence for dailies: import footage, sync external sound, apply log correction LUT and some other minor color tweaks and render out dailies for edit.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Update 2/14: The clip attributes were set for audio channel 1/2 to be of type 'linked' instead of 'embedded'. It seems that the deliver page is mishandling audio from 'linked' channels during individual clip export.

The way I ended up working around it was to make each clip a compound clip and then it exported correct.

Stephen Dixon

Re: Audio Export Problem with Individual Clips

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:11 am

This problem still exists in 14. I'm using the synch function so that I can do a one-light grade and synch at the same time and send the dailies to the producer. In my case we have the crap sound courtesy our BMCCs useless audio inputs and sound from a separate recorder which I'm synching via waveform.

But if I render the timeline out as separate clips I get the crap on-camera sound, even if I've removed it from the timeline. To get good sound and graded pictures I have to export the sound as wav files, then render the video separately and re-mux them with ffmpeg. Funny that the software I paid the least for (as in free) is the most useful.

Please fix this behaviour! Give us the option of exporting timeline audio with individual clips instead of the clip's original audio, expecially with the new Fairlight functions. It means we can synch and sweeten the audio at the same time as we do a preliminary grade.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 pm

A feature sorely missing from Resolve and i (and lots of others) would jump for joy for an hour if they add that feature to render individual clips from the timeline with timeline arranged multi track/channel audio and (video) sourceclip timecode.
Currently you can do it but need to manual set in/out point for each clip and submit as separate render jobs.
I created some macros to do that, but still tedious to create 50 render jobs instead of just one that does it correctly.
Also another downside is that when you use the timeline in/out method you lose the original sourceclip timecode , which is replaced with timeline recording timecode. Could be an issue if you need to reconform later with source videos.
Fixable by hand with QTchange for example , but lots of work / risk of mistakes.
It would make Resolve the ultimate dailies/proxies tool.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Jan Klier

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Currently you can do it but need to manual set in/out point for each clip and submit as separate render jobs.
I created some macros to do that, but still tedious to create 50 render jobs instead of just one that does it correctly.

Absolutely. I had some luck at least in terms of audio in making each clip in the timeline a compound clip in place. That renders the proper audio in a single export. It's still tedious to manually make 50 compound clips, even less 500.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:44 am

Yeah tried the compound as well but took me much much longer and was not easy automatable, as doing it all in the render page clip list.
I automated the 'select clip, rightclick, render this clip, submit job, move right to next clip' operation, which sets in/out for you on base of video length.
So with each button press i submit the next job. Only exta manual step is to scroll clips left that are not fitting on render page clip list.
Its limping but keeps me sane :-)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Ty_Harper

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Anyone know if this issue has been addressed in the latest version?

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Nope unfortunately no changes there ;-(

Tahir Moosa

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 11:58 am

Hello everyone,
Its been long time now.. Do we have this basic dailies render issue got fixed and is there any remedy in v 16.1.2 ?

Veluuria

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 3:23 pm

has this issue been fixed in 17? I'm having it... no idea how to fix it easily (without all the manual effort...)

les_partages_de_barbu

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 7:34 pm

Still have this issue 7 years later with the 18.6 version :roll:

Achim Dietze

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 3:12 pm

Same here.

Hello? Anyone listening?

Return to DaVinci Resolve