Hide UI overlays makes color and scopes data incorrect. Why?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Lindridge

Hide UI overlays makes color and scopes data incorrect. Why?

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:37 am

I noticed that using Hide UI overlays disables the option for LUTs on the colour viewer monitor and scopes (the browse buttons still work but any settings are ignored), and any output monitor LUT then gets applied to the scopes even if No LUT was selected. The corollary seems to be that scopes will always be wrong if there's a monitor output LUT in play and UI overlays are disabled. Further, the colour may also be off on the primary monitor as the monitor output LUT may also be applied to the colour viewer.

So this seems another case for monitor calibration adjustments applied outside of Resolve and not by using a monitor output LUT, but I'm stumped as to why the behaviour would be this way unless a bug. Any ideas, and apologies if it's a documented feature?

Peter Cordes

Re: Hide UI overlays makes color and scopes data incorrect.

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 am

Hi,

this whole Monitor-LUT-Scope-HideUI Thing has already been reported.
BMD is working on it.

A workaround is:
- Set your 3D-VideoMonitor-LUT
- Set Scope-LUT to "no LUT"
- Switch "Hide UI on Playback" off

With this setting, the scopes are correct and your video monitor is corrected by your LUT.
Only the preview window in the timeline has wrong colors but I think this is acceptable since your video-monitor displys a correct image.
... acceptable until BMD has corrected this bug ... :-)

I hope it helps.
Peter

Nick Lindridge

Re: Hide UI overlays makes color and scopes data incorrect.

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for clarifying Peter. I know you'd been contributing along with myself, Marc and others about various LUT issues after I'd woken up that dormant scopes LUT thread, but hadn't found any discussion on bugs related to UI overlays and LUTs. Tried my eecolor box this morning and am glad I have it as it seems time to move on from (mis)using Resolve's LUTs feature to apply calibrations.

Return to DaVinci Resolve