All of DaVinci Resolve is horribly laggy.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hayden MacDonald

All of DaVinci Resolve is horribly laggy.

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Edit 3: I did a bit of exploring with Resolve and I found the problem. With all of these replies I skipped through half of them, but some of you were indeed correct about the problem.

It's the video.

I removed the video and kept the audio, and Resolve worked the exact same as before.

Here is an example:

OBS records video in mp4, so that may be the problem. If not, then something is actually wrong with Resolve itself and the video.

This is the only explanation I have. What do I change the video file output to be?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When editing in DaVinci Resolve, everything is laggy. Everything. No exceptions. When I playback the video, the audio cuts out, the video freezes for 3 seconds at a time, and it takes about a 5 second delay to click on anything. My framerate is fine, as I'm getting 45 - 60 FPS.

I have no idea what is going on. There is nothing that shows why this is happening, as I could use DaVinci for editing a few days ago and it worked as smooth as could be. I uninstalled the program along with the two Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 scripts, and PostgreSQL 9.2. After all of that, I installed Resolve back and the three scripts along with it, and the first time I opened it, it worked perfect. I closed it and started recording some sample footage and the next time I opened Resolve, it resorted back to freezing, cutting audio, and delay.

If there was anything that really told me what the problem was, I'd probably fix it by now. But there isn't anything. My computer is brand new and working amazingly. Resolve worked perfectly before. I'm not having problems with any other programs in my computer. My video files are non-corrupted, a 15-second video is 7 MG's, (which is relatively small) and they work fine watching them raw in the video file.

My OS is Windows 10, I have a great PC which is mostly good at everything, (mainly games) and my Resolve version is 12.5.4.019.

I need help as soon as possible please.

Edit: Yes, I am the person who posted a problem about video file size a month ago. That has been fixed, but I still seem unlucky when it comes to Resolve.

Edit 2: Resolve is starting to work smoothly now, no delay, lag, or anything for absolutely no reason. I haven't changed a thing, uninstalled or reinstalled since I made this thread, and it seems to work. But it constantly crashes. Editing my footage. Inserting my footage into the media pool. It just crashes for no reason 5 minutes after I start the program up. If it starts to lag and freeze again I'll supply some video footage.
Last edited by Hayden MacDonald on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jaredhoy

Re: All of DaVinci Resolve is horribly laggy.

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Resolve is a beast of requirement. Even the "recommended" need to be gone above and beyond.
My inital thought is that you're probably reading from a platter/spin up drive via USB or some such (vs an SSD or raid system)

What codec is your source? What resolution?
Creating Optimized Media or Transcoding footage?
Smart-Caching?
Dedicated GPU or also using the same GPU as your gui?
What is your media reading from?
What is your cache reading from?

Jeff Brass

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 am

video format? what GPU? HDD or SSD? kinda need some details to even begin to help
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Nathan Allworth

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Are you editing H.264 footage or transcoding first to something else? H.264 footage is uncompressed exclusively via the CPU, which even on a monster 48-core 2.2ghz Xeon is still slow. Premiere tends to do a slightly better job of decoding H.264, but it's not much better. I've taken to converting all my footage to DNxHD HQ via Adobe Media Encoder. You can also use the Optimized Media functionality built into Resolve.

This video has more information:

Hayden MacDonald

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:video format? what GPU? HDD or SSD? kinda need some details to even begin to help

I'm using an HHD, my video files are mp4's and my resolution is around 720p.

Can't find anything else from the properties of one video file.

Jack Fairley

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Working in mp4 will cripple performance. Transcode to an intermediate codec like DNxHD or ProRes and give it a try. You may also have disk speed issues if trying to work off of one spinning disk. Post your full PC specs if you want more detailed recommendations.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Hayden MacDonald

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Working in mp4 will cripple performance. Transcode to an intermediate codec like DNxHD or ProRes and give it a try. You may also have disk speed issues if trying to work off of one spinning disk. Post your full PC specs if you want more detailed recommendations.

I have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz.
8.00 GB's of RAM.
64-bit OS and processor.

VicHarris

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Hayden MacDonald wrote:
Jack Fairley wrote:Working in mp4 will cripple performance. Transcode to an intermediate codec like DNxHD or ProRes and give it a try. You may also have disk speed issues if trying to work off of one spinning disk. Post your full PC specs if you want more detailed recommendations.

8.00 GB's of RAM.
64-bit OS and processor.

Might want to read up on min system requirements first and like everyone else has said, what codecs bog down the program. Maybe you'll become more "lucky".

Hayden MacDonald

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 7:16 pm

VicHarris wrote:
Hayden MacDonald wrote:

8.00 GB's of RAM.
64-bit OS and processor.

Might want to read up on min system requirements first and like everyone else has said, what codecs bog down the program. Maybe you'll become more "lucky".

My computer is fine, dude. It ran DaVinci perfectly before. It's a glitch or corrupted code or something, my computer isn't struggling.

Jeff Brass

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:43 pm

is the recording fixed or variable frame rate? variable will kill playback performance
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Hayden MacDonald

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:is the recording fixed or variable frame rate? variable will kill playback performance

can't tell

Adam Simmons

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 am

Download MediaInfo, open it up set it to 'Tree view' then drop the file into it and see what it says for the video section
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Marc Wielage

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 am

Hayden MacDonald wrote:I have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz. 8.00 GB's of RAM. 64-bit OS and processor.

I have 64GB of RAM and occasionally still hit the wall. More RAM is better, and beefy GPUs with lots of video RAM helps as well, as do fast drives. There's a lot of things that contribute to Resolve performance.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hayden MacDonald

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:Download MediaInfo, open it up set it to 'Tree view' then drop the file into it and see what it says for the video section

ill give you a few things that look important, this is from a 30 second clip

format is avc
11.2 mb/s overall bitrate
codec id is avc1

i record my monitor screen with a program called open broadcasting software. its files seem to be fine when i watch them

keep in mind resolve is having problems with everything. something is glitching out really bad or corrupted because my video files and my computer in its entirety works pretty well

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Hayden MacDonald wrote:i record my monitor screen with a program called open broadcasting software. its files seem to be fine when i watch them...

I think that's the culprit. I would convert the file do another format, like ProRes 422 or DNxHD, and see how that goes. A lot of these oddball H.264 Long-GOP formats are balky and difficult in post.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Many of these screen recorders try to optimize by varying fps. Resolve doesn't like that at all.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hayden MacDonald

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Many of these screen recorders try to optimize by varying fps. Resolve doesn't like that at all.

Suggestions?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 pm

If you want to use Resolve transcode your footage to DNxHR or ProRes.
Resolve is hopeless with h264, specially on machine like yours.

ffmpeg -r 25 -i "source" -c:v prores -c:a pcm_16le "out.mov"

if you recorded at 25fps. If not replace with 24, 30 or 30000/1001 for 29.97.
This will also make sure your file is constant fps.

Steve Schonberger

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

If we convert to a lighter codec and make our edits, we can still go back to the original file and apply the same set of edits to the originals, so we don't have the conversion loss, right? Is there a handy way to do that that can be mostly automated when the time comes for final rendering?

Umberto Uderzo

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

By using optimized media, it's fully automated.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Steve Schonberger wrote:If we convert to a lighter codec and make our edits, we can still go back to the original file and apply the same set of edits to the originals, so we don't have the conversion loss, right? Is there a handy way to do that that can be mostly automated when the time comes for final rendering?

Or just convert to something like DPX and not worry about conversion loss.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Steve Schonberger

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Steve Schonberger wrote:If we convert to a lighter codec . . .
Or just convert to something like DPX and not worry about conversion loss.

But does DPX lighten the system load compared to other formats? Lossless formats are usually bulky compared to compressed formats, so it seems like there would be a risk of hogging a lot of memory, or driving up disk I/O, at the same time that it reduces CPU load.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 pm

DPX should not make a difference for GPU RAM needs (at the end any frame gets decode to uncompressed form before it's send to GPU), but will of course put huge load on disk. It may also need bit more RAM also as frames are preloaded in advance.

Mario Kalogjera

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 am

Even the most compressed formats need to be decompressed to memory in 32 bits...EXR, DPX, DNxHD, h.264 etc. frames all end up the same size for editing/coloring... The advantage of lossless or MJPEG compressed media is that it decompresses more easily on CPU than mpeg-compressed long GOP ...
However, since all newer GFX cards can use accelerted DXVA I'm not sure why this potential is not used when decompressing h.264 or h.265... Say, add the code to use a dedicated cheap GFX card just for that or GUI card can be used... Many users are shooting on DSLRs in h.264, but as far as I understand, BMD are more inclined to force hi-quality pipeline, reality is different ... Even BMD's own Fusion uses Direct show to load h.264 footage...

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Return to DaVinci Resolve