Difference in Sony S-Log2 LUT vs ACES version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael H Stevens

Difference in Sony S-Log2 LUT vs ACES version

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 am

Applying the ACES Sony S-Log2 IDT to an S-Log2 clip does what you might expect and contrasts it out, but applying the Sony S-Log2 LUT that comes with Resolve just blows it out of the water and it has to be brought down from off the scale to compare to the ACES version. I can not see why this should be. Anyone got anything to add?

Mike
Bonsall CA

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Difference in Sony S-Log2 LUT vs ACES version

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am

No, in theory both methods should give you about the same look.
It's just theory and reality shows how good LUTs, IDTs are, or not :)

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Sony-specific LUTs are rubbish in Resolve - that's why I only use RCM or ACES (IDTs are much like it).

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Erik Wittbusch

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm

+1
As Piotr says. The Sony LUTs are not really what you want.
I sometimes use the LC709A LUT, but you're better off with dialing in your look without any LUT.

ACES was invented to end the shortcomings with all those LUTing.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:08 pm

It's still prone to the sam problems as LUTs. It's all fixed math made based on ideal scenario. Hardly any recording is ideal :)
If you good with grading you shouldn't need LUTs anyway- grade straight from LOG, so you have all freedom.

Does Resolve not use Sony official LUTs?

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you good with grading you shouldn't need LUTs anyway- grade straight from LOG, so you have all freedom.
Exactly.

No LUT's, no ACES, no transform/transform/transform. Every image is unique. No LUTtites. If you're not already, just get good at grading (I'm still working on it).

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Everyone of us is learning - even the veterans in the colorist trade, not to mention newbies like myself. But the fact is that you can use "scene based" color spaces/gammas in RCM, as well as in ACEScc/cct workflows. No LUT is scene based AFAIK, hence their lower flexibility.

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Michael H Stevens

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks All. I feel disappointed that we have great technology like ACES and S-Log and it can be better not to use it but I just regraded a project from scratch using just DaVinci YRBG and eye and it looks better and was way quicker! But this being so I'm thinking next shoot (I'm going to reshoot my current project) I think I might use Cine4 as in quick testing that gives stronger colors and a cleaner look than I can get with Slog with only limited loss of highlight detail.

Have the problems we are looking at hear caused anyone else to give up on shooting Log?

Jeff Brass

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 3:42 am

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (I'm no colorist by any stretch of the imagination so if I'm doing something right it's probably more by good luck the by design) but I love shooting in SLOG 2 and grading in Resolve - I get way better results then if I'm not in SLOG2

For what its worth - I cannot get clean skin tones from CINE4.
on my A7S I shoot SLOG2 with Pro colour and seems to work for me very well.

I shoot an xrite for Video color chart where at all possible, use that first and then start correcting/grading

When I first got my camera I bought a bunch of SLOG2 Luts.....none have given me any good results, and most destroy the image more then a clutz like myself does.

I would however love to find a decent tutorial on LOG grading
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Erik Wittbusch

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 am

SLog2/3 and most other log-gammas are made for high bandwidth codecs.
I don't like the SLog implementation in Sony's consumer cameras with 8bit codecs. These are prone to banding then when you delog the footage.

SLog works quite nice on high bandwith cameras like F5/55 and FS7 though.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 am

Noel Sterrett wrote:No LUT's, no ACES, no transform/transform/transform. Every image is unique. No LUTtites. If you're not already, just get good at grading (I'm still working on it).

I think there's a lot to be said for this. Where ACES can be useful is when you're combining a lot of camera formats into one show, and that can be very flexible. I don't think it's necessary for a one-camera project, but people have the freedom to do the job any way that gets it done quickly and efficiently.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 am

That's the whole idea behind it and it can help a lot. I think camera companies don't put enough attention/work to create good transformations and this is main issue.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 11:03 am

Michael H Stevens wrote:Thanks All. I feel disappointed that we have great technology like ACES and S-Log and it can be better not to use it but I just regraded a project from scratch using just DaVinci YRBG and eye and it looks better and was way quicker! But this being so I'm thinking next shoot (I'm going to reshoot my current project) I think I might use Cine4 as in quick testing that gives stronger colors and a cleaner look than I can get with Slog with only limited loss of highlight detail.

Have the problems we are looking at hear caused anyone else to give up on shooting Log?

Yes, Cine4 in some cases ends up better. Seen this comment quite often on the net from Sony camera users. As Erik said- LOG requires higher quality recording, otherwise footage can break quite quickly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve