Grading Tutorials

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Wilhelm

Grading Tutorials

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi,

i´m interested in your Recommendations for Videotutorials which focus on Grading Techniques rather than explaining Resolve. I really liked the Tutorials of David Torcivia or Aram K on Youtube for example and i´m curious if there are more Grading Breakdowns of that kind. Any Tips?

Thanks!

Marc Wielage

Re: Grading Tutorials

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 3:34 am

I would point to the "Insights" over on MixingLight.com as covering a lot of this ground. They sometimes go into specifics, like "beauty" techniques for improving skintone and reducing blemishes, or specific techniques for adding effects like lens flare or grain, lots of interesting ideas.

The problems I see with a lot of the free tutorials out there: some of these people have absolutely no clue, no credentials, and no credits. For all I know, they're some guy working out of a closet doing YouTube videos. I've tried watching a few videos, and I wind up stopping :30 seconds in because it's clear they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Be wary of being led astray by people who don't know what they don't know. (And I would hasten to add that there are a few free tutorials that are surprisingly incisive, authoritative, and interesting... just not many.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

David Wilhelm

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you very much i will check out MixingLight! I totally agree with you that there is a lot of Tutorials which are misleading and it´s often hard to tell what to believe if you are as unexpierienced as i am. Nevertheless did i learn a few things just by watching others work on resolve which was very helpful.

John Richard

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Alex Van Hurkman at Ripple Training is excellent. He is the long time author of the detailed manual for Resolve as well and has quite a resume in professional grading and has authored several books on the subject.

http://www.rippletraining.com/product-category/davinci-resolve-tutorials/

Dermot Shane

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Lynda.com @ $20/mo has alot of the basics covered at a reasonable price, you can learn alot in 30 days

Erik Wittbusch

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Even the Resolve manual is a great and free learning basis.
I really learned a lot just from reading the manual!

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 3:06 am

Erik Wittbusch wrote:Even the Resolve manual is a great and free learning basis. I really learned a lot just from reading the manual!

The manual -- also written by Alexis Van Hurkman -- has a wealth of knowledge, including sections that actually get into color theory.

For real nitty-gritty stuff, I think the MixingLight insights are hard to beat.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve