DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Franzo

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Nelson Villamil wrote:CentOS 7 + Blackmagic Driver 10.9 FAIL

Hi

Now exploring Resolve 14 BETA running with Linux.

BUT, I have problems with the installation of the Decklink driver (desktop Video 10.9)

BUT when I open Media express, it does not open, because it does not detect the hardware, same error opening Blackmagic Control panel, Not detect hardware, Resolve, when checking the options I / O does not detect the Blackmagic card.

Having this same issue. I used the Centos 7.3 + Resolve 12.5.5 install disc from Blackmagic, then updated to Resolve 14 and Desktop Video 10.9

It asked to update the firmware for the Decklink so I allowed it, and after restart it still does not show up as an interface. Not in Desktop Video Utility, and not in Resolve preferences.

The same system running on Centos 6.8 with Desktop Video 10.9 works fine though. So it must be something to do with Centos 7.

David Franzo

PostThu May 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Resolved the CentOS 7 + Desktop Video 10.9 issue

Strangely the driver was loaded already and the card was detected according to the terminal commands in the readme, but I followed all the others to see if it would work. After using terminal with the following, the Decklink started working:

Code: Select all
sudo dkms install -m blackmagic -v 10.9a7 --all
sudo dkms install -m blackmagic-io -v 10.9a7 --all
sudo modprobe blackmagic
sudo modprobe blackmagic-io

Note: README incorrectly says to type "desktopvideo" instead of "blackmagic" and "blackmagic-io"

Cody Jordan

PostSun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

ok, so im running ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and decided to try the beta version. it installed easy enough with the supplied instructions. I can not get it to run. One error after another. So I would like to re move it and go to version 12 instead. How the heck do you uninstall? It is not showing as an installed app in synaptic and I don't know the terminal commands to remove apps like this...

Thanks

Michael Ditto

PostTue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Michael Ditto wrote:
Kuntal Majumder wrote:
Michael Ditto wrote:Just installed on Arch Linux with kernel version '4.10.13-1-ARCH'.

It launches fine but if i try to view any media from any media locations, the program will freeze then crash. It also crashes if I navigate away from the media pane and back into it.

It prints this to STDOUT when it crashes. https://hastebin.com/ahewetovig.txt

Specifications of the machine and the desktop environment in which you are working on?

Most of the time it is due to lack of ram, that is, if you are trying to import media, it will freeze for sometime while waiting for the machine to free some memory.

I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit with BSPWM on an older 6 core AMD processor with 16gb of memory and an RX 480 8gb. I don't think memory is an issue because I have plenty and usage never goes above 65%.

And also I should have been more clear. I can't even view any media whatsoever. If I click on a media location, the program crashes while loading the list of folder contents and thumbnails. I can't even get to the point where I could import media. If I drag media from a file manager, then the program freezes while loading the thumbnail (even for a tiny PNG) and then crashes.

So I was able to solve my issues. I needed to install opencl-amd from the AUR in order for it to work. Now it doesn't crash when I try to load media but now I have another problem. Resolve doesn't show any video or audio media whatsoever. It will only show images and I can't import any form of video or audio file at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Kuntal Majumder

PostWed May 17, 2017 9:52 am

Michael Ditto wrote:
Michael Ditto wrote:
Kuntal Majumder wrote:
Specifications of the machine and the desktop environment in which you are working on?

Most of the time it is due to lack of ram, that is, if you are trying to import media, it will freeze for sometime while waiting for the machine to free some memory.

I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit with BSPWM on an older 6 core AMD processor with 16gb of memory and an RX 480 8gb. I don't think memory is an issue because I have plenty and usage never goes above 65%.

And also I should have been more clear. I can't even view any media whatsoever. If I click on a media location, the program crashes while loading the list of folder contents and thumbnails. I can't even get to the point where I could import media. If I drag media from a file manager, then the program freezes while loading the thumbnail (even for a tiny PNG) and then crashes.

So I was able to solve my issues. I needed to install opencl-amd from the AUR in order for it to work. Now it doesn't crash when I try to load media but now I have another problem. Resolve doesn't show any video or audio media whatsoever. It will only show images and I can't import any form of video or audio file at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Interesting it worked without opencl installed? wow!

Sanduleac Vlad

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm having the same issue - no sound, can't import videos nor audio (mp4 and mov get imported, but only the audio file appears to get imported and it doesn't work, not even when rendering).

Michael Ditto

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:51 am

Kuntal Majumder wrote:
Michael Ditto wrote:So I was able to solve my issues. I needed to install opencl-amd from the AUR in order for it to work. Now it doesn't crash when I try to load media but now I have another problem. Resolve doesn't show any video or audio media whatsoever. It will only show images and I can't import any form of video or audio file at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Interesting it worked without opencl installed? wow!

I had opencl-mesa installed but it only supports up to OpenCL 1.1

Przemek Jeske

PostTue May 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Has anyone been able to check whether it is possible to get the audio through BMD USB cards like intensity etc? I really have no use of a decklink monitor card, so I'm wondering whether something more useful (to me) would do the trick.

Nelson Villamil

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:00 pm

David Franzo, THANKS

These commands worked perfect, in my configuration with CentOs7 + Desktop Video 10.9

sudo dkms install -m blackmagic -v 10.9a7 --all
sudo dkms install -m blackmagic-io -v 10.9a7 --all
sudo modprobe blackmagic
sudo modprobe blackmagic-io

NOTE: Blackmagic should give more attention to the supporting documents
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve