DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dieter Scheel

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:That sounds awesome. Do you know of any GUi's i can install for Manjaro to use ffmpeg?

I don't know about Manjaro, but you could try QWinFF, WinFF, Handbrake or FFmpegYAG to name a few. But you might be able to use a Google search. Or you use a script for Nautilus/Nemo - I use the latter because my DE is Cinnamon.
Resolve Studio 15.2.3, LinuxMint 19, 32GB RAM, i7-6700K, GTX1060Ti 6GB (415.27), Intensity Pro (10.11.4), 1.5TB SSD

Hakim Craddock

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 am

Dieter Scheel wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:That sounds awesome. Do you know of any GUi's i can install for Manjaro to use ffmpeg?

I don't know about Manjaro, but you could try QWinFF, WinFF, Handbrake or FFmpegYAG to name a few. But you might be able to use a Google search. Or you use a script for Nautilus/Nemo - I use the latter because my DE is Cinnamon.

Thank you. i tried handbrake, didnt see a prores option in it.

Hakim Craddock

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:06 am

but honestly. I am not wasting anymore time on it until the microphone issue is resolved.

Dieter Scheel

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:but honestly. I am not wasting anymore time on it until the microphone issue is resolved.

I don't think that using ffmpeg is a waste of time. Please use the search engine of your choice to find more information about ffmpeg and Prores. And as I said before - using a terminal or bash script is the easiest and quickest way of achieving your goal.
Resolve Studio 15.2.3, LinuxMint 19, 32GB RAM, i7-6700K, GTX1060Ti 6GB (415.27), Intensity Pro (10.11.4), 1.5TB SSD

Adderbox76

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:
Dieter Scheel wrote:

Thank you. i tried handbrake, didnt see a prores option in it.

That is largely the issue with GUIs and why CLI will always generally beat them. A GUI won't always include every format that FFMPEG is capable of. While it's very easy to transcode with a simple command, unless the GUI makes the time to include every format, you'll only have access to a fraction of the codecs available.

As others have said, they will go all the way to creating bash scripts and creating links in their film browsers' kicker menu. I don't do anything that fancy. I keep a text document of all possible commands so I can cut and paste as needed.

So for example, if I want to convert all of my mp4s in a folder to prores I can simply open that folder in the terminal and paste:

for i in *.mp4; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:v prores -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le "${i%.*}.mov"; done

And then go make a cup of coffee.

You can change the .mp4 part in the above command for whatever format your files are in and achieve exactly the same result. Faster and easier than mucking around with drop down boxes in a GUI.

deezid

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 am

Just figured out Davinci Resolve comes with a nice installer.
So basically download, unzip and click on it - install.

Just worked perfectly fine.

Neil Preston

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Adderbox76 wrote:
So for example, if I want to convert all of my mp4s in a folder to prores I can simply open that folder in the terminal and paste:

for i in *.mp4; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:v prores -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le "${i%.*}.mov"; done

And then go make a cup of coffee.

This is what I'm trying to do, build a collection of ffmpeg instruction lines for my needs while learning to understand codecs/formats and ffmpeg.
One conversion I'm not getting quite right is mxf XAVC L to mp4. This may sound odd, but what I want to do is basic editing on a Samsung S4 tablet. I spend a lot of time camping in our national parks where laptops are not always practical. The more serious stuff is done when I get home.

My xavc l to mp4 conversions will play in some media players but Kinemaster, the app I'm using will not read them. Any help with the ffmpeg instructions would be a great help.
Ubuntu 18.04, Intel i7, 12gb ram, GTX 750 2gb, | Resolve Studio 15, Windows 10.

Adderbox76

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Neil Preston wrote:
My xavc l to mp4 conversions will play in some media players but Kinemaster, the app I'm using will not read them. Any help with the ffmpeg instructions would be a great help.

Unfortunately I don't use Sony so I'm unfamiliar with the those particular codecs. And up until now I hadn't heard of Kinemaster.

A bit of digging, here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531922-xavc-l-s-mxf-mp4-re-wrap.html and https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2013-June/015751.html, and it seems (in my unfamiliar Sony mind) that the Sony codec has special metadata that is lost when encoding to a new format. So in effect you're finalizing your footage when you convert it, which could be why it works in media players but not in an editing app like kinemaster.

But as I said, I'm just guessing here based on a few minutes of research. To be honest, if it was ME, I'd see if the Sony Camera allows you to film to a less-proprietary format on those times when you know you are going to be editing on your tablet.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hakim Craddock

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 pm

You guys should share your ffmpeg comands list. Maybe a thread with commands can be created.

deezid

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:You guys should share your ffmpeg comands list. Maybe a thread with commands can be created.

I would like that and maybe some kind of simple tutorial how to embed these ffmpeg scripts into Nautilus.
Will try to fiugure out how to create watchfolders as well, might become handy

Dieter Scheel

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm

deezid wrote:I would like that and maybe some kind of simple tutorial how to embed these ffmpeg scripts into Nautilus.Will try to fiugure out how to create watchfolders as well, might become handy

I'd like to do that but first BMD has to sort this thread - it's now 28 pages with all possible topics. Maybe a forum part for Linux in general and helper scripts in particular would be extremley helpful.

Sulo Kokki

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Dieter Scheel wrote:I'd like to do that but first BMD has to sort this thread - it's now 28 pages with all possible topics. Maybe a forum part for Linux in general and helper scripts in particular would be extremley helpful.

Believe me, we've asked for that over 10 pages ago. All we got is unstick topic.

Oh, well. It seems there's a need for a user-maintained discussion forum centering on Davinci Resolve. Different sections for different OS', etc (also Fusion & Fairlight). I encourage everyone interested to come up with viable solutions, as BMD wants to run this forum on a certain way and that's alright. But it also looks like Resolve users need to solve this issue own their own.
Linux Mint 19.1 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.2.3 | Desktop Video 10.9.3 | OSX 10.11.6

bjornzitting

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Yes Sulo, I agree!

Linux + Resolve is so powerful - when it works!
In my view at least split current thread in four or more Linux threads:

- Installing/upgrading Resolve on different Linux distributions - maybe a special thread for the 'BMD supported' Linux distribution and one or more for 'the rest'

- Limitations of Resolve functionally with Linux generally (compared to functions working on other OS + HW), like mic input via USB right now...

- Limitations of Resolve supported Codecs/file formats in/out with Linux generally (compared to what is working on other OS + HW)

- Limitations of different HW on Linux

- And hopefully a thread of what is better on Linux with Resolve :)

In my case remaining Linux problems with:
- Threadripper contra Intel CPU, is that fully solved now (?)
- Blackmagic control panels only working on Centos/Redhat?
- Blackmagic video cards/Desktop Video software only work on older kernels!!!

I'm so impressed of the progress of Resolve since I found it, and the helpful atmosphere on the forum
Thank you all!
Björn

Heikki Repo

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Augh, I wrote a very lengthy piece here and when I tried to submit it, I was logged out! Perhaps it was a good thing though...

To sum my thoughts:
- BMD seems to be primarily a hardware company
- Big money is not in the Advanced panels but in Pocket 4K cameras (and software is used to sell cameras)
- DaVinci Resolve is no longer a turn key solution, hasn't been for a long time!
- There are more and more people leaving MacOS ("Modular" Mac Pro, Mojave and NVIDIA, need I say more!) and Windows (Telemetry, forced updates, MS-DOS filesystem layout C: D: E: ...) to become Linux users
-----> it makes sense to treat all Linux users like good, potential customers -- Linux doesn't need to be a "turn key island" compared to other platforms (and TBH, the fact that R15 has the support for system sound tells me that they don't intend that either, as otherwise bringing this feature wouldn't have made sense!)

The way Resolve is packaged on Linux should be addressed ASAP. It's a nightmare even for professional environments installed from the official BMD ISO. It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall the whole operating system if something breaks. It should be possible to keep system up to date (Just imagine if BMD told all Mac users to keep using Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from release to release :mrgreen: ).

BMD, hear us: If CentOS is too difficult target, move to Ubuntu (/Debian). It's very stable, extremely popular distribution. I think it is the most supported Linux distribution if we use as a metric the variety of proprietary, commercial consumer software available for it (for example, gaming platform Steam). After having used Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 for many years using CentOS 7.3 was like being thrown back to the early 2000s... :o :lol:

Neil Preston

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm

Adderbox76 wrote:A bit of digging, here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531922-xavc-l-s-mxf-mp4-re-wrap.html and https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2013-June/015751.html, and it seems (in my unfamiliar Sony mind) that the Sony codec has special metadata that is lost when encoding to a new format. So in effect you're finalizing your footage when you convert it, which could be why it works in media players but not in an editing app like kinemaster.

Paul, thanks for the links.
The info there has added a bit more to my knowledge. ffmpeg is fascinating software, lots to learn there!
If I can contribute anything to a list of useful examples I will, but I'm very much a beginner.
Ubuntu 18.04, Intel i7, 12gb ram, GTX 750 2gb, | Resolve Studio 15, Windows 10.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve