DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Claudius Neal

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 pm

I plan on building a DaVinci Resolve system using dual Xeon E5-2697v2 processors or E5-2670v2.
I want the system to run on CentOS 7.
Can I run DaVinci Resolve 14 using these processors?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Yes.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Claudius Neal

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks Dwaine

Michael de Meyer

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 2:21 pm

I come round from time to time since the linux version was released, hoping that some of the problems would be fixed by now... and please correct me if I'm wrong now

ok, first, here are the stats so far: more than 650 replies, more than 80000 (!!!) views in this thread. still... NO audio, NO h264 in the lite version, and LOTS of installation issues...

Seriously Blackmagic??

As a professional editor I'm bound to windows or mac right now (so far I'm working with adobe and avid), but I would definitely give the linux side a shot and maybe make a switch. I would even buy one of your external devices - if it would work on linux. And no, I won't buy an internal card. My main stations are packed, and those cards are pretty much impossible to install on laptops...

So please... update your drivers and your software to make it possible to actually really work with your products

Michal Nemec

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:I did test with Linux Mint and you are right. When my session (language, region and keyboard) are set to English (US), Resolve works perfectly.

When set to, say English (UK), errors occur either by grades or with kb shortcuts. Hence, I think the best workaround for international users is to use Resolve on a separate account, specifically set to US.

Other alternative is to launch reslve by runnig command:
Code: Select all
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" /opt/resolve/bin/./resolve

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello,

the problem of color registration, as well as the impossibility of exporting colors, are they bugs or limitation of the free version?

Best regards

Sam Weston

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 am

Hey all. Having an issue with Resolve crashing whenever I scroll over footage. Any advice?

Resolve 14.0.1
Linux Mint 18.2
Nvidia GTX 1060, driver 384.90
7200rpm, 2TB HDD

Sulo Kokki

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 7:50 am

Hello,

Ubuntu 17.10 now supports QuickSync. Studio users on Linux should have better h264/hevc decoding because of this.

Did a test install. Same steps as in the Linux Mint install, except for

14- update the Nvidia driver
14.1- sudo apt-get install nvidia-384

15- download libpng12-0 here
15-1 sudo dpkg -i libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Resolve started and works without a hitch. :)
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Fabrice Lapeyrere

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Just to say that I got an e-mail from the Blackmagic Support to confirm they can replicate the behaviour.
We are hopeful that this behaviour will be addressed in a future release of Resolve however I am afraid that I cannot give any timescale for such a release

Until then I use a US configured Centos PC, and it works like a charm !
I had trouble with the multicam switcher, and the US format corrects this issue too.

Sam Weston

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for the help, Sulo! Gave it a quick test and it looks like that package works like a dream.

Starting to think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a backup partition with a Resolve-configured CentOS install...

Tero Ahlfors

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am

Michael de Meyer wrote:ok, first, here are the stats so far: more than 650 replies, more than 80000 (!!!) views in this thread. still... NO audio, NO h264 in the lite version, and LOTS of installation issues...

Audio is currently only available with a Blackmagic I/O device and most of the installation issues are about people trying to install this to an unsupported Linux distro.

It works fine if you spec your machine according to the system requirements. People just think you can slap it on whatever which isn't the case with the Linux version.

Michael de Meyer

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:
Michael de Meyer wrote:ok, first, here are the stats so far: more than 650 replies, more than 80000 (!!!) views in this thread. still... NO audio, NO h264 in the lite version, and LOTS of installation issues...

Audio is currently only available with a Blackmagic I/O device and most of the installation issues are about people trying to install this to an unsupported Linux distro.

It works fine if you spec your machine according to the system requirements. People just think you can slap it on whatever which isn't the case with the Linux version.

Yes, thank you for your tip, I know that it's supposed to run on a CentOS system. But that's not something I'm complaining about. And thank you for reminding me that there is a Blackmagic I/O card required for having sound. I know that as well, because that's what I was complaining about in my post.

Resolve on Linux is a VERY cool thing. And I'd love to use in on Linux. But what's not so cool is that I can't use it without an internal card. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way

Tero Ahlfors

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 pm

The external BMD I/O devices that use Thunderbolt seem to be supported in Linux.

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 2:47 am

Seriously Blackmagic??

Seriously. I agree with Tero Ahlfors. There was a lot of pointless queries, because DRS requires certain level of CPU/GPU, and the answer was always system upgrade.

BMD was bit late in admitting the system audio is unsupported and BMD gear is required for full editing experience. They could've saved some people's time. So there's another pool of questions that were ultimately pointless.

Michael de Meyer wrote:I know that it's supposed to run on a CentOS system.

The Linux version was released as is (Centos build). Other installs are effectively hacked out of Centos. Is all about finding the correct libraries, and every distro has maybe one unique problem. It takes a bit of time and teamwork, but that is Linux.

One particular problem was mandatory English (US) session. Using any other language settings creates a large variety of bugs. This mean a lot of international users had a successful install but many different errors. This create yet another pool. One fix solved many issues.

Put it to perspective, the Linux betas had only a few problems that were outside the above.

The panel daemon and black screen on Color tab/10-bit were most common bugs. This is normal.

I can live with BMD's 'hands up' attitude on other Linux distros beside Centos. It's understandable that they need to target their resources.

Why BMD omit system audio? I guess, they want to control DRS on Linux for now. Without sound, it is novelty for most people. as the I/O card means casual users stay away.

I think BMD kept this quiet at first during the 14 launch on purpose, for sure they knew. As result, I think, most Linux users had DRS already.

They can fix this in the future by adding system sound. I would do it in DRS 15. They can use 14 to get a lot of data about different distros. With system audio, DRS gets a lot of new users on the Linux side. Things should get interesting then.

One thing they should add in 14.x is libpng16-0 support, or include 12-0 in installer.

Michael de Meyer wrote:As a professional editor I'm bound to windows or mac right now (so far I'm working with adobe and avid), but I would definitely give the linux side a shot and maybe make a switch.

Why not try Resolve 14 on Win/Mac? You get system audio output and mostly same user experience.

Also, you can grade without sound (I hear DRS is good at that ;)). Different DRS ports talk well together, and you can transcode around the Linux/h26x issue.

And I agree. DRS on Linux is very cool. But this is still early days and I think is still beta, without system audio or proper installer. Enter at your own risk and have fun.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Marc Gasser

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Audio is still pain in the a**.

I have a Blackmagic Monitor 4k card, all drivers proper installed.
Sometimes audio work, sometimes not. Sometimes its crackly and noisy.
After returning from screensaver or screen power sleep, audio does not work anymore!

In the rare occasions, when audio is working, there is this strange beeping all time and I could not figure out so far how to disable this...

If you have video footage which has Mpeg-4 AAC audio, audio does not work, you have to convert all tracks to wave (wtf).

With all respect, for a professional video editing software with the original hardware this should not happen!.

Come on guys, please fix this, it is very annoying when you want to use this software in a professional manner.

:cry:
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 am

+1

...And I will add: no sounds in the export. Today I can not imagine buying the full version when I see that the lite version does not work. In the state create a film without sound, it's just unthinkable.

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

When I look at the archive logs I hope for a future stable version.
Attachments
log_archive_20171113-110043.tgz
(386.12 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 am

I have updated my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 14.1

Instructions here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p361701

makeresolvedeb_14.1-1.sh.tar.gz
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Iñigo Figuero

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am

Hi,

I have just installed Studio 14.1 on Manjaro.
It needs about 2 minutes to start. Console output shows nothing.
After thar, it looks like it's working (I haven't tested thoroughly).
Any help?

i7
24GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX750TI
No panels
Last edited by Iñigo Figuero on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iñigo Figuero

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Support for onboard audio on Linux is on the list of items we will get too but in the meantime Dwaine's suggestion of a Mini Monitor is a good one.

Peter,

Any news about this from April?
Thank you.

Ian MacLean

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Noel: the link to download our CentOS 7.3 build image is near the bottom of the Readme.txt file.

I'm sorry, but I can't find a support page with the BM build info. I found the download link in this topic, but it doesn't have the checksum. And it's not in the DaVinci_Resolve_14_Configuration_Guide either.

Where is this 'readme.txt' file? Or a support page for your CentOS build? Thank you.

I didn't get the usb stick install to boot, currently burning a dvd.
Resolve V 15.2.2007 1 GPU on KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.15.0-45-generic
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 64-bit
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:33 pm

@Ian: The file I mention is in the Resolve Linux download from the Support area of our web site.

You download a zip file. When you unzip it, there will be a doc. In Resolve 12.5.4 and earlier, this was a Readme.txt text file. In current Resolve versions, there is a PDF file.

Note that if you attempt to copy and paste the ISO link from the PDF doc, it will have some malformed characters. You'll either need to fix those (they should be obvious) or don't copy and paste the URL. Type it in.
Dwaine Maggart

Julian Tsvetanov

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Iñigo Figuero wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Support for onboard audio on Linux is on the list of items we will get too but in the meantime Dwaine's suggestion of a Mini Monitor is a good one.

Peter,

Any news about this from April?
Thank you.

I second that.

Any update on the system audio front for Linux with 14.1?

Is there any API/SDK that can be used, so one can write an interface to Jack2 - I think this implementation is the best option for professional audio under Linux with low latency.

JamesMaynardGelinas

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl:
...And I will add: no sounds in the export. Today I can not imagine buying the full version when I see that the lite version does not work. In the state create a film without sound, it's just unthinkable.

Just add a few additional title cards for dialog and have the theater hire a pianist. Problem solved!

I want this. I'll install whatever distro you guys select. I'll jump through hoops. Buy a Decklink card if necessary. And if this stuff works, I'll buy a license. But I get the distinct feeling it's really not ready for Prime Time yet on Linux. And I don't see a real hardware compatibility list or explicit instructions. And I did look.

My Mac just died so I'm out shopping for a new computer. I'd rather run Linux because I submit jobs to AWS and would prefer my desktop run the exact same stuff I build for my AWS containers. But that's my problem, not yours.

I saw a comment by someone saying, hey if you're looking for an editor - go elsewhere! And frankly, I am looking for a Premiere / AE alternative. But this thread is a nightmare to wade through. I'm sorry. I want this product. I certainly like that BM is attempting a Linux port. But I have to say, you guys haven't made it easy.

Regardless, the sense I get here is that running Win10 with a Linux subsystem would be a lot easier to make Davinci/Fusion just plain work.

alexmitchellmus

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Bump: System audio sound in GNU/Linux! :-)

As for Jack v's PulseAudio etc... I think Jack may be a bit OTT and wasted a bit with Resolve. As Jack's highlight is to be able to route audio in any way you need. As Resolve doesn't allow recording audio IIRC, I don't really see the need?

For audio DAW's etc- yes Jack is 100% a great solution, maybe just not for Resolve.

Iñigo Figuero

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Iñigo Figuero wrote:Hi,

I have just installed Studio 14.1 on Manjaro.
It needs about 2 minutes to start. Console output shows nothing.
After thar, it looks like it's working (I haven't tested thoroughly).
Any help?

i7
24GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX750TI
No panels

More info from logs:
____________________________________________________________________________________________
[0x7f29eb386f00] | Main | INFO | 2017-11-16 17:50:35,761 | Finished loading Application style sheet
[0x7f29eb386f00] | LeManager | ERROR | 2017-11-16 17:54:53,204 | 141, 638, -1
____________________________________________________________________________________________

As you see, it waits more than 4 minutes and them an error appears.

Julian Tsvetanov

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm

alexmitchellmus wrote:Bump: System audio sound in GNU/Linux! :-)

As for Jack v's PulseAudio etc... I think Jack may be a bit OTT and wasted a bit with Resolve. As Jack's highlight is to be able to route audio in any way you need. As Resolve doesn't allow recording audio IIRC, I don't really see the need?

For audio DAW's etc- yes Jack is 100% a great solution, maybe just not for Resolve.

As far as I recall, I read a claim by reportedly BMD employee that Linux audio doesn't meet the quality requirement for professional product like Davinci Resolve, so they postpone the implementation of the system audio for the undefined future (low, low priority) and recommend using superior hardware audio solution by BMD.

One thing that I recall was the latency and inherent lag/out of sync video with audio.

And yes indeed, PulseAudio is not really a good solution (but better than nothing). Inherently laggy. The reason, I'm suggesting Jack2 is that it provides by design a real-time/low latency, needed for professional audio applications and so, no excuse for not implementing at least client for the Jack2.

Personally I did small command line music player for Jack2 and honestly it doesn't seem too complicated, so I don't expect BMD engineers to spend too much time implementing output to Jack :)

Edit: Just a side note, one day Fedora will start shipping PipeWire and probably at some point replace PulseAudio.
PipeWire is a new subsystem that vastly improves audio/video handling under Linux. Eventually it will support the full range of ways users currently use PulseAudio and JACK, and provide similar handling for video. It’s designed to be a new core foundation for audiovisual I/O in Linux apps. In Fedora 27 Workstation, PipeWire provides screen capture and screencast recording in GNOME Shell. In future releases its capabilities will expand.

ifohancroft

DaVinci Resolve 14.1.0.018 on Fedora 27 64bit - No Sound

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 am

Hello,

I have installed DaVinci Resolve 14.1.0.018 Fedora 27 64bit with MATE as a Desktop Environment. Using the latest proprietary NVIDIA drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.98) for my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB).
I don't have a BlackMagic card.

When previewing the editing timeline or the media (I am trying with a 16bit WAV) I get no sound. I went to DaVinci Resolve -> Preferences -> Video and Audio I/O and there 'For capture and play use' is set to None and can't be changed. Same for 'For Resolve Live use'. 'Release video I/O when not in focus' is unchecked but can be checked. However, 'Use System Audio Output' is unchecked and grayed out so it can't be checked.

I have tried disabling all output devices in my OS's audio settings, tried disabling same, tried checking in pavucontrol and in QJackCtl if Resolve gives any audio output but no luck.
The tested WAV file plays well in other software on the system just not in Resolve. Resolve does show the audio meter changing but I can't hear the audio.

P.S. This is a bit off-topic but how do I add more audio/video codecs to Resolve so I can export in more formats and which are supported?
Goth & Developer. Gaming on Linux. Supporter of FLOSS. Tattooed & Pierced. GPG: 0x14503675

Réjean Labbé

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14.1.0.018 on Fedora 27 64bit - No Sound

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Blackmagic does not support Linux system audio for Resolve. You need a BMD card for audio, and even then there can be issues-check this whole thread.

ifohancroft wrote:Hello,

I have installed DaVinci Resolve 14.1.0.018 Fedora 27 64bit with MATE as a Desktop Environment. Using the latest proprietary NVIDIA drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.98) for my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB).
I don't have a BlackMagic card.

When previewing the editing timeline or the media (I am trying with a 16bit WAV) I get no sound. I went to DaVinci Resolve -> Preferences -> Video and Audio I/O and there 'For capture and play use' is set to None and can't be changed. Same for 'For Resolve Live use'. 'Release video I/O when not in focus' is unchecked but can be checked. However, 'Use System Audio Output' is unchecked and grayed out so it can't be checked.

I have tried disabling all output devices in my OS's audio settings, tried disabling same, tried checking in pavucontrol and in QJackCtl if Resolve gives any audio output but no luck.
The tested WAV file plays well in other software on the system just not in Resolve. Resolve does show the audio meter changing but I can't hear the audio.

P.S. This is a bit off-topic but how do I add more audio/video codecs to Resolve so I can export in more formats and which are supported?

Jim Burnes

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 pm

I also tried to install Davinci 14 on Linux. I installed it on Ubuntu 17.10 and ran into the following issues:

- No h264 support
- No audio

In my Blackmagic life I'm an indie film producer and director. In another life I'm a Linux systems programmer. In my humble opinion you should create a flatpak install which should be straightforward and install easily on nearly all Linux systems (at least those with flatpak -- which includes RedHat, Centos, Ubuntu, Mint and Arch).

This would remove all of the library dependency issues as flatpak packages contain all software required to run.

... and please implement basic pulse audio support so that Linux users are first class citizens like Mac and Windows. What's the point of creating a Linux install without any audio? Basic audio would at least allow people to understand the awesomeness of Resolve. Then we move to purchasing Resolve audio cards.

I would be happy to beta test a flatpak version that uses pulse and comes with h264 / 265 codecs. They do exist for free on Linux.
Jim Burnes
Microcosm Films, LLC

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 am

Jim Burnes wrote:What's the point of creating a Linux install without any audio?

The Linux version is a relic from the coloring station era. While the software itself has been updated, BMD have never tested it outside their high-end solution. This is because it was never intended for casual Linux configurations.

Davsys created Resolve in 2004, with the Advanced Panel. They sold this workstation on big money to Hollywood post houses. It was a Red Hat. BMD bought Resolve assets in 2009 and ported it to Mac in 2010, and Windows in 2011. At this point, BMD also started to develop the NLE side.

Small wonder the Linux version has bit of catching up to do.

Still, is it a port? Resolve is, originally, a Linux software. :)

alexmitchellmus

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 am

My main interest for Resolve to use system audio is laptop use. IIRC the only interfaces that work with GNU/Linux are the Pci-E variety?

However I would be happy to be wrong. Then again- it would add an extra complication to a mobile editing station (even if USB etc).

It would be good to know some sort of time-frame for native audio (regardless of Pulse / Jack etc).

Sam Weston

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 am

Having a problem where Resolve crashes every time I click on a folder with video footage.

Code: Select all
sam@theseus ~ $ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: DCFC2B00
[0x7f32dcfc2b00] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-11-23 00:00:30,160 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7f32dcfc2b00] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-11-23 00:00:30,160 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7f32dcfc2b00] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-11-23 00:00:30,160 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opening communication to resolve..
Resolve communication is open and waiting..
Accepted new client
Reallocating buffer: 65536, need 69312, will go: 131072
Socket disconnected
Segmentation fault
sam@theseus ~ $ Socket disconnected

This is under Resolve 14.0.1 with CentOS, Nvidia 1060 graphics card, etc. etc.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 am

The ResolveDebug.txt log might be more helpful to see.
Dwaine Maggart

William Eguienta

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 am

Hello, i'm trying to install resolve and fusion on Fedora 27 workstation and nothing work
all is supposed to be in place, install seems to work but when i click on resolve or fusion icon, nothing happened

all my drivers are up to date, cuda too (i have a gtx1080)
when i install resolve i have only error about shortcut creation because it doesnt find the desktop, but it not suposed to make resolve not working
here is install terminal quote with anotation
Uncompressing DaVinci Resolve Studio Installation Package 100%
Extracting files...
resolve: aucun processus trouvé (witch mean no process found in french) ****
Copying Resolve files...
Copying scripts...
Copying docs...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying UI resources...
Copying libraries...
Creating shortcuts...

is it normal ? if not how to fix it please ?
thank you

Iñigo Figuero

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

start resolve from terminal and copy here output

William Eguienta

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 am

here is my terminal
[kaiz3r@kaiz3r-pc ~]$ '/opt/resolve/bin/resolve'
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i have tried to find libGLU.so.1 but no succes...

Iñigo Figuero

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 am

You have to instal libglu. How to depends on your Linux distribution.

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am

Here it is.

Install the proper package (Fedora 27/x86_64) and try again.

William Eguienta

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:Here it is.

Install the proper package (Fedora 27/x86_64) and try again.

thank you, i have installed several missing library with your link (opencl, and png12)
now it start but i have the "resolve cound not find any openCL capable gpu..." message, il i go to configuraton panel, nothing to see in open or cuda

EDIT : i have installed again graphic card drivers and now it work (with heavy lag but not resolve related)

EDIT 2 : ok i have swtich to Xorg gnomeandnow all work like a charm, thanks !

Daniel Tufvesson

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 pm

I have updated my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 14.1.1

Instructions here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p361701

makeresolvedeb_14.1.1-1.sh.tar.gz
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Sarah Corriher

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 am

I have seen people on this board talking about the current need for a PCIe card in order to get sound working in Linux. However, I haven't seen exactly which card is needed, and what the minimal setup required would be to make this functional. I don't really want or need another PCIe card, but I'll get one if it means that I can do advanced video editing without switching to Windows or Mac. I found DeckLink capture cards, ranging from $75 - $600. Would the $75 do what I need (give me sound)? If I bought this card, would I then need other devices to make this work? I want to make a YouTube video series that uses chromakeying. I really like the chromakey capabilities of Davinci Resolve -- it far surpasses the other Linux options. However, the sound issue is obviously a dealbreaker.

I would appreciate some help.

Julian Tsvetanov

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 10:12 pm

From what I can tell you, as an option, Blackmagic support told me that "Intensity Pro 4K" is capable of providing audio output in Linux, over HDMI port.

This concrete option ("Intensity Pro 4K") I was asking them about, because I wanted the best combo that will serve me, by any other means, than just "audio output" since it is really ridiculous to buy any BMD audio solution just because of Davinci Resolve doesn't support "system audio" output.

For me that is a black PR, black magic.. what an irony :lol:

So, the way I plan to or I could use Intensity Pro 4K is:
1. Record 4k video from video camera over HDMI in (i.e. external recording)
2. Playback 4k@30Hz on secondary monitor (dedicated 4k monitor, for full screen grading)
3. Using a HDMI splitter (like Neoteck 4K DAC) to get the audio output only and forward it to my audio system.

If it was just for the point 3 - I wouldn't buy it.

Sarah Corriher

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks. The trouble is that there really is no adequate video editing program for Linux right now. This is the closest there is, to my knowledge. I don't even want to think about Kdenlive/Openshot. Do you know what the minimum setup would be, or is that what you already described?

Iñigo Figuero

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 6:27 am

I wish BM post update news about system audio support on Linux.
Peter talked about it some moth ago, but...

Adam Brown

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 am

I wish BM post update news about system audio support on Linux.
Peter talked about it some moth ago, but...

I really wish they would as well. It's the only thing stopping me from moving everything to Linux. Resolve is the only reason why I still use windows. I used to edit with Adobe premiere, but switched to Resolve, as it is cross platform. So I was very disappointed when I learned about the audio situation on Linux.

Having to use an external card is not an option for me, as I often edit on the go with laptops etc. Please Blackmagic add support for native audio. I would even be willing to pay extra for a Linux version with full audio support. I really feel if this is added, the Linux user base will grow exponentially.

Julian Tsvetanov

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Sarah Corriher wrote:Thanks. The trouble is that there really is no adequate video editing program for Linux right now. This is the closest there is, to my knowledge. I don't even want to think about Kdenlive/Openshot. Do you know what the minimum setup would be, or is that what you already described?

Apart from the audio problem, this is the best video editing program for Linux. I own the Studio version, but you can start with the free version. I'm actually using Shotcut time to time or when I want to sync audio and video. Audacity is also useful for audio editing. So, in Linux more or less I have to use those three apps :)

"Intensity Pro 4K" in theory should do the job, if you want to output the audio.
My setup is "Intensity Pro 4K" + "Neoteck 4K DAC", but it is not yet delivered, so I cannot say anything more than that, just a promise by BlackMagic support that this will work.

The "Neoteck 4K DAC" is a audio HDMI splitter, so you can use "Intensity Pro 4K" to output up to 4k@30Hz on secondary monitor and at the same take the audio output to your audio system/active speakers/headphone.

If you need only audio and nothing more, I guess there should be a bit cheaper solution, but as I said, for me it doesn't make sense to use BMD audio solution, since I have superior DAC+AMP and will be a stupid purchase for me.

Ian MacLean

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you. Briefly, could you explain for newbs like me some basics about your CentOS build?

-After burning an install DVD, during manual installation, under Software Selection/Base Environment, can one use the KDE Plasma Workspaces, or do you need to use the Development and Creative Workstation option?
-I assume you should you update the OS after install, or do you need to leave it static?
-What will be the process when CentOS updates to a next version?

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Ian: The file I mention is in the Resolve Linux download from the Support area of our web site.

You download a zip file. When you unzip it, there will be a doc. In Resolve 12.5.4 and earlier, this was a Readme.txt text file. In current Resolve versions, there is a PDF file.

Note that if you attempt to copy and paste the ISO link from the PDF doc, it will have some malformed characters. You'll either need to fix those (they should be obvious) or don't copy and paste the URL. Type it in.
Resolve V 15.2.2007 1 GPU on KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.15.0-45-generic
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 64-bit
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm

@Ian: Using the manual mode should still have proper packages selected. It just allows you to control the disk formatting and partitioning. I would not recommend changing the package selections.

No, you should not update the OS after install.

When there is a new CentOS version we support, we'll have a new ISO image for that version.
Dwaine Maggart

John Morris

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Sarah Corriher wrote:Thanks. The trouble is that there really is no adequate video editing program for Linux right now. This is the closest there is, to my knowledge. I don't even want to think about Kdenlive/Openshot. Do you know what the minimum setup would be, or is that what you already described?

If you already have a second monitor that has an audio out connector, the current cheapest solution to audio output on Linux is a DeckLink Mini Monitor (or DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, if you want full screen UHD).
My setup is 2 monitors with one of the monitors connected to the HDMI output of the DeckLink and external speakers plugged into the audio out connector of that monitor. I also have that monitor connected to the PC graphics card via displayport so I can switch the input on the monitor for normal use. The other monitor is just connected to another port on the PC graphics card.
I would rather just be able to use system audio of course but the above system works OK.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve