DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Martin Schitter

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:Yup. Dwayne or Peter @BMD, could we please get a subsection for Linux? The topic is a bit too wide to be enclosed in one big thread. As you can see, because of this new users keep asking the same questions all over again.

yes -- you're right! -- this single thread isn't the most useful way to find the necessary answers. but that's just more or less negligible part of the problem. the much more important deficiency should be seen in the fact, that BMD didn't solve any of the issues reported by users here in this thread in its release cycles. just take changelogs of all new versions since resolve for linux was released and search for the keyword "linux". you will hardly find any important improvement concerning this operating system.

many of the reported issues here in this board are easily fixable for developers with minimal efforts. and it's much more useful, if some grave flaws get fixed in a proper way by the upstream distributors, than forcing all affected users to use the same ugly hacks on and on again. serious feedback and reproducible bug reports about using relsolve in the real world and on widely used realistic linux setups is IMHO much more useful for more satisfaying development at the source, than most of those hacks and workarounds shared by the user community to compensate everlasting issues. sure, i really like it, if users help each other, but it shouldn't be seen as to only way to solve issues in the long run.

i personally simply got tired to explain the necessary simple changes. i did it in length at the past, but as long as none of the BMD developers is listening or they still deny to include all the necessary fixes in the upstream product, this simply doesn't show any sustainable consequences.

theenngee wrote:The Linux version is really picky with import formats. The Lite version supports Apple and Avid video codecs (Prores, DNXHD/R), the Studio version includes h.264/5.

Sound output is currently only via a BMD expansion card (Decklink, Intensity) or breakout box (Ultrastudio, via Thunderbolt). Supported audio formats include WAV and AIFF.

yes -- in the real world, if friends and other linux users ask me about using this software on their beloved operating system, i still have to conclude: "don't try it, it 's simply unusable on this platform! -- if you really want to utilize resolve on linux workstations, you still have to utilize complicated virtual machine setups and the windows version, because even this crazy workaround is in fact much more usable in practice compared to the really insufficient official linux release."

Sulo Kokki

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:many of the reported issues here in this board are easily fixable for developers with minimal efforts.

The first and foremost of which:

That Installation. BMD, offer Flatpak, collect goodwill. :-D

This is because the current solution is a mess and taints BMD's image as a quality supplier. A barebones shell script written for CentOS is fine in beta, but not beyond. Daniel has done good by providing a .deb install, but that (again) reflects poorly on BMD's effort on the port.

For instance, Ubuntu users (17.04 upwards, I think) need to install a library that's been dropped by Canonical as obsolete (libpng12-0). Hardly convenient (and that's just one step out of many pre-installation steps).

Furthermore, the software defaults to /opt/resolve, and includes a disk database therein. /var/opt would be better, as continually writing to /opt during normal use violates the filesystem hierarchy standard. (You've pointed this one out already, Martin.)

These things make Resolve below-par Linux software. Sorry, but the platform community guidelines are the same for all.

That dependency on English (US) language/region settings (at the expense of properly saved projects) is also less than ideal. At least BMD are aware of this issue now.

I know there are more popular grievances about the Linux port, but quite frankly, these are the grave ones.

Martin Schitter wrote:i still have to conclude: "don't try it, it 's simply unusable on this platform! -- if you really want to utilize resolve on linux workstations, you still have to utilize complicated virtual machine setups and the windows version,

Martin, I agree.

In essence, the Linux Resolve as a stand-alone is problematic. One needs ffmpeg or such to transcode in and out of Resolve. That sorted, BMD gear is needed for audio output during use. Even when it does work, it operates in a very narrow window. We call it 'The Diva'.

But when the Diva hits that window, it's been proper fast and fluid, for what we've seen so far in a multiboot system. Still to go flat-out on a new project with it, but looking forward to it. Having said that, we're still looking to use it in parallel with a Mac port, to compensate for the lacking file format & MIDI support. Fortunately, Resolve does a stellar job in exchanging projects and databases between platforms.

Overall, it's a tough one. In the grand scheme, the issues we're talking about are small potatoes. This is the niche port. The Diva wants it the way she likes it. The alternatives are Windows and Mac, so you can take the high way and exit through the gift shop.

However, Resolve Lite offers the Linux community at least a decent NLE with a masterful color-correction side, in HD. And those glimpses of speed with bulletproof responsiveness that came up during our initial shakedown were impressive.

Beyond its issues, the Linux version shows a lot of untapped potential.

Martin Schitter wrote:as long as none of the BMD developers is listening or they still deny to include all the necessary fixes in the upstream product,

I would expect BMD to tweak the port (if they do) at the end of the current version's release cycle (summer next year). If anything, I hope they'll fix the installer and the language settings bug. I doubt we'll be enjoying System Audio in the foreseeable future. This is because I speculate that the time and effort of the software team is likely more invested in the product itself, which is then planted into different platform frameworks.

Separate Linux port tweaks take their sweet time. Of course, BMD could benefit from the Linux users community more, if there'd be some sort of compatibility development program. They already have a base for it in this thread.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

thewinner666

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Hey, I have problem with Resolve onmy Debian (Kali Linux) machine.

Here is the output when i start Resolve:

Code: Select all
root@kali:/opt/resolve/bin# ./resolve
./resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Jan Zegklitz

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Martin Schitter has summarized it precisely. No reported issues fixed, not even a better structured section here at the forum where such issues could be discussed effectively. The linux version is just an inferior demo version compared to the windows and mac versions. I have given up on Resolve completely a few months ago. It is a pity, I was really excited that there is finally a great video editing software for linux. Well, tough luck.

I remain subscribed to this thread with a hope that some day, maybe, the linux version will truly be a linux version of Resolve, not a poor demo without key functionalities.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 am

Guys, I can see opportunity for us to improve, but please, don't try to suggest the Linux config we recommend is unusable, after all, well more than 50% of Hollywood films and a much higher percentage of TV programs use that exact config every day.

I get that's not what you want to hear. You would like your disti to work better, or work at all. We have a working Linux config, we don't promote it other than in our recommended config. We offer it at no cost to you.

We will get to some requests post NAB, there are even some items sooner, but for now, thanks for those who help others with the items they can.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 am

Hello Peter, thanks for checking in.
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Guys, I can see opportunity for us to improve, but please, don't try to suggest the Linux config we recommend is unusable, after all, well more than 50% of Hollywood films and a much higher percentage of TV programs use that exact config every day.

That Linux config with Advanced Panel (meant for post houses) has hardly received equal treatment from BMD at all times. It's more like something you've been dragging on, while bringing more users in by adding Mac/Win support and providing us the Lite version, with unlimited nodes. (All good things, thanks.)

BMD's efforts on the Mac port yielded the expected Prores support in 2010, when you released Resolve 7 (the first version after acquiring the DavSys assets). It only took another four years for Linux users to have the same functionality.

On that note, you put a Panel Tax on Prores Export. Why no inclusion to (at least) the Studio version?

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I get that's not what you want to hear. You would like your disti to work better, or work at all. We have a working Linux config, we don't promote it other than in our recommended config. We offer it at no cost to you.

Nope.

I would like the software to install correctly (suggested Flatpak and /var/opt/resolve).
I would like to use other than English (US) keyboard layout AND save my grades properly.

The distro (in this case, Linux Mint) works well, thanks. The problem is Resolve itself, and your working CentOS config, which gets dodgy with system updates, does little to fix the issues above.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We will get to some requests post NAB, there are even some items sooner,

It's kind of you to promise development within the next few months. I respect the fact that you and the Resolve team have more on your plate than just tweaking the Linux port. Having said that, the install issues should've been addressed before v14 left beta. Sorry, but these issues are major, they were dutifully reported back to you by several users, and they require addressing from BMD before any of us will start singing praises.

But we'll obviously see what you'll come up with, when you have updates to unveil.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:but for now, thanks for those who help others with the items they can.

As said, a separate subsection would be a lot more helpful than one thread.

And Peter, thanks for letting the Linux version finally into the wild. Just own up the potential and we'll all be merrier. :-D
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

itsRDX

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am

Hi There!
Please help!!
I am using Linux(UBUNTU 16.10 64-bit), have installed DaVinci Resolve Studio 14. There is a icon on my desktop. And, i have installed the libgstreamer and almost all other packages required. But, i am unable to open the software.

Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-03-02 14-14-55.png
installed libgstreamer packages
Screenshot from 2018-03-02 14-14-55.png (271.55 KiB) Viewed 127959 times

Kjella

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have a working Linux config, we don't promote it other than in our recommended config. We offer it at no cost to you.
We're grateful, even when we don't sound like it. I use the free Windows version, when I saw there would be a free Linux version I was really hoping to use that because I want to ditch Microsoft. So I start looking into it and you only support this particular distro version, okay... but then I had to dig quite a bit more to realize that oh, it doesn't support these codecs.... oh, it doesn't support normal system sound.... and then there's real platform-specific bugs all mixed in with people who clearly are trying to do something unsupported or hasn't read the documentation. I'm not saying you should solve everything or well that'd be nice too, but it took a lot of digging to understand what I'd actually get and what's possible.

I support the idea of a Linux sub-forum, where I'd at least suggest three sticky-topic FAQs:
1. Functional differences - compared to the free Windows/Mac version
2. Supported configurations - basically reiterate what you said above
3. Platform-specific bugs - any known Linux-specific issues

Then this massive thread could be broken down into more manageable chunks and in particularly you could have threads like "Resolve on Debian" which could a) reference the FAQ above and b) be easily skipped for everyone not interested in that... right now it's 25+ pages in a blender. And when that happens people just give up and ask questions that were already answered on page 12...

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:19 pm

While waiting on BMD's updates, here's something we got to work. :-D

HOW-TO: Use Linux Resolve Lite with a complementary Win/Mac port [dualboot]

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk and back up all relevant material. Read the manual (pdf here) for more in-depth information on things you need to know about beforehand, incl. mapped mounts, optimized media and the Media Storage. That's what it's for; this guide focuses more on the implementations. Finally, on Linux, there's generally many ways to do things. If you come up with improvements, do share.

In short: Many Resolve users would like to migrate their work to Linux. When compared to their Win or Mac install, the Linux port is lacking in import/export formats, MIDI support, and other things. While it's up to BMD to develop the Linux port in ways they see fit, there are ways for a willing end-user to alleviate the issue.

What we're after here is change on the fly between two different Resolve ports, depending on one's needs. This is achieved by using the Win/Mac Resolve for the initial and final renderings. Linking the Resolves to the same materials is achieved via mapped mounts, generally used by the Studio version for shared storages in network rendering.

All optimized media is in a proxy format the Linux Resolve can access and generate for caching during normal use. When using proxies from a natively unsupported source, like h.264/HEVC, the clip will display as offline media on the timeline.

Any risk of conflicting saves is removed by the dualboot, leaving only one active Resolve at all times.

1. Install the exact same version of Resolve to your Linux and Mac (Win) systems. (A guide for Linux Mint (NVidia) install, useful for all Debian/Ubuntu variants.)

2. Install the Paragon Software's NTFS driver for Mac. (Commercial software license.)

3. With Paragon, format a Resolve scratch disk and media disk, in NTFS (check 'ignore ownership').

4. On both Resolves, do the corresponding mapped mounts for these disks.

5. On both Resolves, set the opt. media and render cache to match, with format(s) supported by both ports. In Mac/Linux, anything but Prores. DNxHR is just as good.

6. On your Mac (Win) Resolve, create a disk database to an NTFS drive, formatted as above. (You can also use a separate FAT partition for the db, if you feel sketchy on Paragon.)

7. On your Mac (Win) Resolve, create a new project (or copy-paste from another db / import a .drp) into that db.

8. Open the project, import the materials and generate optimized media (check settings).

9. Open Linux Resolve, connect to that database, open that project and get to work.

10. Complete and export the project with Mac (Win) Resolve, once you're through with optimized media.

Note: W10 users can obviously go without Paragon. If both Win and Linux can work the disks, it's game on.
Last edited by Sulo Kokki on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Resolve Disk databases do not support shared system access. Using it this way will likely lead to issues.

Only PostgreSQL databases support shared access.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Martin Schitter

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve Disk databases do not support shared system access. Using it this way will likely lead to issues.

you are right! -- but i think, this proposal was more related to typical dual-boot setups, where you will never access the same disk from more than one OS at the same time.

i personally don't like dual- or triple-boot solutions. it's IMHO just as inflexible and limiting as just using one of this systems as your preferred choice. i think, if you really want to escape OS barriers, you better use virtual machines. on linux this is very well supported by qemu-kvm. the main issue you'll have to fight in this case, are GPU related. you'll need an addition graphic card in your machine, which isn't used on the host operating system, that can be pass trough straight to the virtual instance (this kind of PCI-device forwarding is also possible in case of decklink cards etc.). this approach works very well and nearly as performant than on bare metal. for the output you can connect an additional monitor to the passed trough video card or a solution like LookingGlass. the remote operation using the same mouse and keyboard can be also optimized by utilizing Synergy. that's IMHO a quite useful alternative to dual-boot, although i prefer native linux solutions where ever applicable. in fact i only have to use this kind of virtual windwos setup to make better use of davinci resolve and mistika insight frequently, everything else i usually do on linux.

Sulo Kokki

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve Disk databases do not support shared system access. Using it this way will likely lead to issues.

you are right! -- but i think, this proposal was more related to typical dual-boot setups, where you will never access the same disk from more than one OS at the same time.

You are both right. It's a dualboot solution, which I forgot to specify. Thanks for that :)

Martin Schitter wrote:i think, if you really want to escape OS barriers, you better use virtual machines.

you'll need an addition graphic card in your machine ... that can be pass trough straight to the virtual instance

... i only have to use this kind of virtual windwos setup to make better use of davinci resolve and mistika insight frequently, everything else i usually do on linux.

Martin, thanks for describing that method. It's basically different means to the same end, only it roots the user to Linux, in which the Win Resolve is brought up in a sandbox. It's certainly a more elegant way to do it, but it does stipulate another GPU. Our hack is more quick and dirty in comparison, but it gets the job done with only one. We'd probably go for the virtualization if it would be possible in terms of GPUs in our current config :)

Martin Schitter

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:You are both right. It's a dualboot solution, which I forgot to specify. Thanks for that :)

i also forgot to mention, that dwaines warning is indeed very important if you use virtual machines!
in this case it's extremely dangerous, to access the same storage volume or database file from two running instances or processes at the same time! for guest system volume access you have to utilize the same NAS/SAN techniques as you would use them in real LAN setups. it's just much faster in the case of paravirtualized guest-host-connections.

Sulo Kokki wrote:It's basically different means to the same end, only it roots the user to Linux, in which the Win Resolve is brought up in a sandbox.

no -- i can not agree on that. dual boot capabilities may look similar from a very abstract theoretical point of view, but they are in fact very unsatisfying and uncomfortable in practice. you usually have only one preferred operating system, and it's enough stress to maintain and customize this single instance to your specific needs. that's the desktop in front of you, where you are not only doing serious work, but also a mail reader or messenger may run in the background and web browser will be also likely open [to waste your time on writing stupid forum comments] somewhere. if you dual-boot, you would have to maintain all this productivity [or distraction] tools on both sides, to feel happy. that's such an unrealistic hassle, that you would probably prefer to put an additional laptop on your desk during those periods, where you do not have access to your main OS. i wouldn't recommend this kind of approach to anybody as an acceptable compromise. sometimes i help linux newcomers on their first steps repartitioning their disks and install this operating beside to old one. but that's more a precaution, to keep the way back open. usually they never touch this old system afterwards, or else they didn't feel comfortable on the linux side and went back completely, but you will hardly find people, which really use both systems in dual boot manner regularly.

Sulo Kokki wrote:It's certainly a more elegant way to do it, but it does stipulate another GPU. Our hack is more quick and dirty in comparison, but it gets the job done with only one. We'd probably go for the virtualization if it would be possible in terms of GPUs in our current config :)

i really understand your point! i also do not like this inelegant waste of hardware resources and unnecessary complexity. over the years i could optimize may setup to utilize this second graphic card at least for GPGPU tasks on the host side, as long as it is not in use by the virtual machines at the same time. but even this compromise is very hard to realize. it's indeed a really stupid condition, because even low end nvidia GPUs could be used in a shard manner from both ends in principle, if this particular feature wouldn't disabled in the driver by the manufactures. all this more advanced cluster related features are only enabled for the much more expensive professional nvidia products.

but at the end i would see all this virtualization solutions or dual boot approaches just as a last resort. they are IMHO much more useful for cross platform software development and testing, than for serious end user related work. for user friendly regular use they are just as unacceptable and insufficient as this actual linux release of resolve in its present state, which doesn't fit into the real world of nowadays linux desktops and disappoints all the reasonable expectations of interested actual linux users.

Sulo Kokki

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Oh, believe me. The dualboot is not ideal and we originally selected the other OS for Resolve because of Prores export and the controller API for Akai APC-40 support. Because of this, the other OS became the 'it' OS. We were content with it until BMD unveiled the Linux Lite.

The Linux Resolve, in its current state, now allows us to switch the daily OS to something we would prefer using anyway. Using the other OS for specific Resolve-related tasks is less than ideal, but the alternative is to give them up completely.

One reason to bother with the Linux Resolve is because, on equal terms, it feels faster; read-write speed, response time, even the cursor. That already is a big plus. The other reason is championing Linux. In the end, we compromise with a dual-boot, as both ports offer unique (and fortunately, distinguishable) benefits.

Weighing it up, the other OS serves to prep the footage and to finalize it. Do the pros outweight the cons in overall user experience? Yes. Most of the work can be carried out on the Linux, with added efficiency. The other OS can be used sparingly.

Your suggested solution for virtualization on the same local machine, with 2xGPU, is even better, if applicable. It definitely wins over dualboot, as the environment would be all-Linux. Yet, I agree with you, both are workarounds instead of a solution. Everyone can choose for themselves whether constructing a Linux expansion to their existing Resolve config is worth it.

Right now, I would only recommend it for those who have chosen another OS over Linux because of Resolve. The install still requires creating a mock-SuperMicro/CentOS config with BMD I/O gear. This means the Linux crowd still keeps away from it. Resolve users content on other systems get nothing out of it.

We could give any dualboot/virtualization solutions up and live with the picky import/export, if we would have the Advanced Panel. :-D

Martin Schitter

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 am

thanks sulo, for this remarkable well balanced an realistic valuation of the pro and cons of resolve on different operating systems. i simply have to agree about nearly everything, you mentioned.

when i often chosen a little bit more undiplomatic and harsh words in my judgments about the actual state of resolve for linux resp. its real world usability, it shouldn't be understood as an withering final assessment, but more express this kind of unavoidable frustration, actual linux users [beyond the bounds of hollywood] may feel, when they see, how close we have already come to an excellent solution for video postprocessing on this system, but still doesn't get those few desperately need refinements, which would let a dream become finally true.

i know, this kind of unduly criticism is hard to accept for responsible decision makers, because it's indeed always compromising the prestigious main product to some degree. sulos strive for objectivity in outlining a very realistic comparison of pro and cons regarding resolve on different operating systems, is definitely a much more appealing attempt, to debate this issues in a more calm manner.

Sulo Kokki wrote:One reason to bother with the Linux Resolve is because, on equal terms, it feels faster; read-write speed, response time, even the cursor.

that's an intresting observation -- and actually you are not the only one, mentioning this difference!

it's somehow a strange discovery, because linux per se isn't the most optimal choice for interactive work and minimal latencies. i know a lot of artists, which make use of linux in live music performances, and they usually tend to modify their systems in very uncommon ways, to compensate this weaknesses and optimize the systems realtime capabilities. but that's again the freedom of an open operating system: you can customize even this typical characteristics and default behavior to a large extent.

it's really interesting, to study for example the actual numbers concerning latency of system audio output on different OSs gathered by the PortAudio Project. no -- linux isn't always the fastest out of the box, but it's at least [much!] better, even in this respect, than some other widely used commercial OS, where resolve already supports native audio output without much complaints. ;)

Sulo Kokki wrote:Your suggested solution for virtualization on the same local machine, with 2xGPU, is even better, if applicable. It definitely wins over dualboot, as the environment would be all-Linux. Yet, I agree with you, both are workarounds instead of a solution.

yes -- that's the only reasonable conclusion!

i have wasted so much time on this virtualization approach in the past, to make use of resolve on linux at all, that i'm always a little bit inclined, to tell everyone else, how to workaround the troubles this way. but in fact it's really just another very questionable compromise. therefore it looks much more constructive, to simply ask for better native linux support -- something, which really works in a satisfaying and equal manner, like on the other operating systems!

end-user related improvements of resolve for linux shouldn't be always seen as completely independent or irrelevant to the professional high-end and studio oriented customers. it's quite surprising, how often this kind of flexibility, asked by common desktop users, may at the end become congruent to advanced needs appearing in the high end sphere.

just to give you an illustrative practical example:
when i yesterday stumbled over this very ambitious sounding request for "different node paths for differently calibrated monitors" for resolve at LGG, because it would be indeed very useful in parallel production of HDR and SDR deliveries, i couldn't resist to smile.
i frequently suggested exactly the same feature in a slightly different contexts (e.g. [1],[2]), and even got sometimes remarkable appreciative replies e.g. by peter chamberlain [3], but it was mostly seen as irrelevant and useless, because anybody, who wants to make use of resolve in a manner, which isn't strictly oriented around this one and only decklink output device [and you could also replace it with: "CentOS resolve for linux installer"], has to be treated as an unworthy idiot in principle. it simply wasn't accepted or foreseen, that such a kind of improvement could affect serious professional demands just as well. o.k. -- now we have just another much more upmarket looking request. let's see, if the suggestion finds a sympathetic ear this time?

really -- it's always the same! -- if software gets improved and becomes more open and versatile, it's usually not to the detriment of those few experts and high end customers, which didn't have reason to miss or claim the relevant features from their specific point of view sooner. but at the end it's more often than not opening new practical possibility to all of us.

Arun Gurung

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am

I get this with DaVinci Resolve 14.3, hope somebody can assist. Linux 4.11 on CentOS 7.

[arun-g@macbook-air ~]$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.3 (#014)
Main thread starts: 60808B40
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,141 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,142 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,142 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sulo Kokki

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:actual linux users [beyond the bounds of hollywood] may feel, when they see, how close we have already come to an excellent solution for video postprocessing on this system, but still doesn't get those few desperately need refinements, which would let a dream become finally true.
Oh yes, and that's a big reason why we kept going - the dream of having a software of Resolve's caliber running natively on Linux. The community here has been invaluable in finding enough solutions for a specific working config. It comes with caveats, but if you accept the end-user workarounds - it works.

Martin Schitter wrote:i know, this kind of unduly criticism is hard to accept for responsible decision makers, because it's indeed always compromising the prestigious main product to some degree.
BMD looks like a company that does requests only when there's enough noise. While it is counterproductive to cry like a baby over this and that with the Linux port, the bottom line seems right. I think we need to tell them, in very clear ways, what is needed, why, and how we (using our collective knowledge on Linux) would solve the issues. And repeat. They do follow this thread with interest.

Martin Schitter wrote:
Sulo Kokki wrote:One reason to bother with the Linux Resolve is because, on equal terms, it feels faster; read-write speed, response time, even the cursor.

that's an intresting observation -- and actually you are not the only one, mentioning this difference! it's somehow a strange discovery, because linux per se isn't the most optimal choice for interactive work and minimal latencies.
Yes, it's a bit odd. But Resolve has an unusual development history. The Linux port may still have a lot of DavSys code in it, as opposed to the other ports, built from scratch by BMD. A key thing seems to be the distro. BMD switched the Linux config from RHEL to CentOS at the turn of the decade, and left it that way.

With Linux Lite, there's been a lot more testing on other distros and early results reflect poorly on CentOS.
Vassilis Kontodimas wrote:The reason I'm indeed trying Ubuntu Studio is that my SSD now reads 423MB/sec, which is more than double than it did on my CentOS. Not to mention that my AMD GPU works as -ahem- intended (for the most part, but much better than CentOS).
Debian in general seems like a very good choice to run Resolve with. It circumvents most of CentOS' inherent update/compatibility issues and is just plain fast.

Martin Schitter wrote:better native linux support -- something, which really works in a satisfaying and equal manner, like on the other operating systems!
Yes, equality is what we want! Currently, we're far from it.

On my wishlist:

- Debian as the supported platform for the stand-alone version, incl. official .deb install/Flatpak.
- Cleaning up the amateurish bugs like mandatory US keyboard (may be a DavSys implementation)

- Equal import formats (handy for AP users, too)
- Prores Export in the Studio version, if not Lite.

- System Audio. While I argue that any Resolve workstation config benefits from BMD I/O, a forced solution is bad, particularly so for laptop users.

The Linux Resolve would kill in comparison to other ports with these implementations. :mrgreen:
Martin Schitter wrote:it's quite surprising, how often this kind of flexibility, asked by common desktop users, may at the end become congruent to advanced needs appearing in the high end sphere.
It also says something about Resolve, how it already can be scaled and re-jigged to configs completely different from the AP/Supermicro solution. BMD would do well to endorse this modding further (or at least, allow these little side-doors to remain unlocked for the community).

Martin Schitter wrote:anybody, who wants to make use of resolve in a manner, which isn't strictly oriented around this one and only decklink output device [and you could also replace it with: "CentOS resolve for linux installer"], has to be treated as an unworthy idiot in principle.
Truly. CentOS this and pro that. Pish. The AP users are a different breed with their turnkey systems, but some stand-alone users parroting the company line of "official working config" have been proven, in this thread, to talk through their hats. People, BMD are basing their arguments on their SuperMicro setup, anyway.

Martin Schitter wrote:if software gets improved and becomes more open and versatile, it's usually not to the detriment of those few experts and high end customers, which didn't have reason to miss or claim the relevant features from their specific point of view sooner. but at the end it's more often than not opening new practical possibility to all of us.
Yup. The Prores implementation is a good example. BMD originally forewent it with the Linux, as it was not their idea of a "pro feature". It was added only after the AP users came up and said they need it, repeatedly.

Right now, Resolve is overall shaping up to be a powerful contender to the market leaders. The equal-terms Linux port could well be the killer app that would make many users raise their hands and migrate. BMD can take advantage of this by polishing it up on the road to v15.

They've done well (mostly) for Resolve up until now, and obviously want to do better, because it's their business. Let's see if they can pull this one off.

Arun Gurung

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:
Martin Schitter wrote:anybody, who wants to make use of resolve in a manner, which isn't strictly oriented around this one and only decklink output device [and you could also replace it with: "CentOS resolve for linux installer"], has to be treated as an unworthy idiot in principle.

Truly. CentOS this and pro that. Pish. The AP users are a different breed with their turnkey systems, but some stand-alone users parroting the company line of "official working config" have been proven, in this thread, to talk through their hats. People, BMD are basing their arguments on their SuperMicro setup, anyway.

Can't blame BlackMagic Design, the problem must be due to licensing and marketing issues because BMD support have been professional. The obstacles come from criminal programmers who pose as engineers, e.g. Anonymous hacker group https://www.facebook.com/bluekitteh13.

John Morris

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 am

Arun Gurung wrote:
Sulo Kokki wrote:

Can't blame BlackMagic Design, the problem must be due to licensing and marketing issues because BMD support have been professional. The obstacles come from criminal programmers who pose as engineers, e.g. Anonymous hacker group https://www.facebook.com/bluekitteh13.

Sorry, but that post is a little weird.
Please don't put the Linux community into disrepute.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

Martin Schitter

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 am

...criminal programmers...
John Morris wrote:Please don't put the Linux community into disrepute.

i think, we simply have to live with agent provocateurs and all this attempts to bring non-opportunistic and rebellious movements into discredit. that's a part of the game. what's usually camouflaged as professional attitude and experience here in this forum, often fits very well into a long tradition of repression in hollywoods film business.

last week i spent most of my time again at our annual national film festival. it would be a lie, if one would describe it as entirely free of mainstream crap and stupid commercial oriented productions, but the general standard is quite high and much more oriented towards arthouse cinema and critical social reflection than in other parts of the world. but we didn't forget hollywood completely! beside a really impressive new documentary about the life of yilmaz güney, a kurdish filmmaker, which literally had to direct a movie from within prisson, which later won the palme d'or in cannes, we also celebrated those few brave american filmmakers, which didn't just do a very well job as directors and script writers, but were also courageous enough, to be recognized as the "hollywood ten" to anybody interested in film history, by screening some of their rare movies again...

sure -- times have changed again, and it's much easier for most of us, to sympathize or completely ignore this reminders from the past while reclining in our armchairs. but when i think abut the climate of discussion here in this forum and similar boards, i always feel a little bit alarmed by this unmistakable will of conformity and dominating loud voices, which somehow dictate, what's the one and only way to think about open technical issues and freedom of creativity [and access to the necessary tools resp. production means].

KristijanZic

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Is there a guide for installing DaVinci Resolve 14 on Ubuntu 16.04 (or soon to be 18.04) for users with AMD gpu?
I have AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid 8GB.
Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8- (16) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid
Memory: 15930MiB

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm

No, but you should be fine with the existing Ubuntu / Mint guides.

Skip installing CUDA. Install the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu.

Do share your notes afterwards for others.

linuxfreak

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 11:16 am

First, slightly off-topic, I want to reply to rants about BMD "having to" support $whatever_distribution and $whatever_sound_hardware: One of the basic principles behind free software is that one creates something for his own need and shares it so that others can also profit. While DaVinci "Lite" is "only" free in beer and not in speech, that part well applies. Paying customers wanted RHEL/CentOS in the first place, and it's an enterprise grade distribution, so BMD does support that. That's just fact. Same for the hardware. For the typical use case, a decklink or something similar is installed anyway. So that whole "should/could/would" part probably belongs into some other "let's convince BMD to apply another business model" thread.

Second, that said, I want to share positive results on Fedora 27 with a Radeon RX 570.

Hardware used:
- Asus Prime Z370 + Intel I5 8400 + Samsung 960 EVO MZ SSD + 2x16 Gskill 3200 DDR4 RAM

BIOS upgraded via network, default settings applied. Fedora 27 installation went smooth, everything detected out of the box. DaVinci Resolve did of course not work with the embedded Intel GPU, due to lack of the specific OpenCL support needed. So I did fit a MSI Radeon RX570 with 8GB into the system. To get the AMDGPU-PRO driver running on Fedora 27, some tricks had to be used:

1) Downgrade kernel version as the currently shipped one is too high for the AMDGPU-PRO driver:

# yum downgrade kernel-tools-libs kernel-modules kernel-devel kernel

That should leave you with kernel-4.13.9-300.fc27.x86_64 plus related packages (kernel-devel is needed for DKMS)

2) The default AMDGPU-PRO driver installation options (installing legacy OpenCL) did lead to segfaults in different programs, so this specific installation method has been used:

a) fetch amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655.tar.xz from AMD (earlier versions would need xserver-abi which doesn't exist on F17) and extract
b) Don't install legacy OpenCL support but only rocm, as some of the libraries with that installation method do introduce segfaults (but I did not dig further into that):

# ./amdgpu-install --opencl=rocm

c) We still need the libopencl library for resolve:

# yum install libopencl-amdgpu-pro-icd

3) Verify:

$ clinfo  | head -6
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor                                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2527.3)
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices

$ glxinfo | grep -A5 "Extended renderer info"
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
    Device: Radeon RX 570 Series (AMD POLARIS10 / DRM 3.20.0 / 4.13.9-300.fc27.x86_64, LLVM 5.0.1) (0x67df)
    Version: 17.2.4
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 7325MB

6) install resolve

Due to lack of a decklink card I could not test audio yet, but loading a Fujifilm X-T2 video recording (1080p) in the free version did work fine after this conversion:

$ ffmpeg -i DSCF7003.MOV -acodec copy -vcodec prores -profile:v 0 -f mov filename.mov

So I'm attempting to grab a used decklink or maybe a mini monitor somewhere and will follow up with audio testing.

br Hari

Martin Schitter

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 12:41 pm

linuxfreak wrote:First, slightly off-topic, I want to reply to rants about BMD "having to" support $whatever_distribution and $whatever_sound_hardware: One of the basic principles behind free software is that one creates something for his own need and shares it so that others can also profit. While DaVinci "Lite" is "only" free in beer and not in speech, that part well applies.

in the case of "free" software, which is usually more related to the "freedom of use and modify existing software code", you are always able to solve missing features and flaws yourself in principle. but that's not the case for commercial closed source products, which often limit this freedom of use in a quite rigid manner. asking for improvements and documenting the most obvious shortcomings, is therefore often the only possibility for actual users, to promote changes and share their legitimate interests with other affected users.

linuxfreak wrote:For the typical use case, a decklink or something similar is installed anyway...
Due to lack of a decklink card I could not test audio yet,...

so much about "reality" and the practical impact of resolves actual limitations on this platform
(...and if you got your decklink card and dig deeper, you'll find a lot more of them...)

in case of free software, it would be a trivial task for enthusiastic linux developers, to solve this issue and contribute a few lines of portaudio based system audio output capabilities to the code base of the application, but in the case of a [in fact very patronizing] closed source product, you are just free, to shut up and do what they want from you, or simply express your dissatisfaction about the absence of such an important/natural feature.

linuxfreak

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
linuxfreak wrote:For the typical use case, a decklink or something similar is installed anyway...
Due to lack of a decklink card I could not test audio yet,...

so much about "reality" and the practical impact of resolves actual limitations on this platform
(...and if you got your decklink card and dig deeper, you'll find a lot more of them...)

This won't be a dedicated workstation and I'm just doing some hobbyist NLE. As I'm hence not running on a supported platform, I wanted to verify if it even runs properly before I do spend money on a decklink.
What other "lot more" of limitations do you refer to?

in case of free software, [...]

You don't need to sell me on free (as in speech) software, I do work for a fairly big open source company. But BMD did not release it as open source, and you're not forced to use it. Don't get me wrong, I'd also prefer if it would support h.264 in the free version, plus audio via common linux audio infrastructure. But I do understand why this is not on top of BMD's prio list, hence it's bit of "take it or leave it" for the free beer version, right? But I'm sure they will raise priority if they do see a business case if you'd e.g. put a pile of money on their desk (which I would happily support with a good number of bucks if you can convince them).

happy Sunday,
Hari

Sulo Kokki

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Hari,

Good show on the Fedora install, thanks for posting it.
linuxfreak wrote:BMD did not release it as open source, and you're not forced to use it.
Got that right. However...

As you can see by the size of this thread, it's taken a while for users to figure out - on behalf of BMD - how to get Resolve up and running on different distros, while lacking a proper installer - or even documentation mentioning sound output via I/O. If you're ready to go through the hurdles and can live with getting an I/O card, the Linux version does come alive and runs like a beauty.

A stand-alone cannot be equaled to a turnkey system, because it's a different beast. BMD took a step away from that, but left it half-way, for now. Closed-source is fine, but in that case, I would imagine the users have a right to expect the developer to address the issues reported. Updates have been promised to come around soon, but I'd get excited only after they arrive.

Martin Schitter

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 pm

linuxfreak wrote:This won't be a dedicated workstation and I'm just doing some hobbyist NLE. As I'm hence not running on a supported platform, I wanted to verify if it even runs properly before I do spend money on a decklink.

this looks like a perfectly legitimate kind of usage scenario to me. and it's not significant different from those needs and expectations, which most actual mac and windows users share with us. it's therefore just important, that resolve simply behaves like any other well written application, that works sufficient and comes in a user friendly deployable package. there is no need, to handle this very minimalist requirements on this particular platform in a different way, than on any other operating system.

linuxfreak wrote:
in case of free software, [...]

You don't need to sell me on free (as in speech) software, I do work for a fairly big open source company. But BMD did not release it as open source, and you're not forced to use it.
Don't get me wrong, I'd also prefer if it would support h.264 in the free version, plus audio via common linux audio infrastructure. But I do understand why this is not on top of BMD's prio list, hence it's bit of "take it or leave it" for the free beer version, right?

hmm -- i think, this question is fact a little bit more complicated. BMD is not only exerting a lot of pressure on all competing commercial software manufactures by means of their very aggressive price policy, but they also influence thereby the likelihood, that we'll see any useful "free" software alternatives in the foreseeable future. sure -- that's nothing uncommon or illegitimate! we just have to watch it attentively and make the best of this given circumstances.

but i'm also not a strict and utterly dogmatic advocate of free software. in fact i have lots of sympathies for really exciting commercial software products as well. but coming from an open source background, i usually tend to evaluate and judge them a little bit different, than an audience, which has never experienced the befits of open software at all. i'm much more interested in technical transparency and extensibility, cross application exchange and available development APIs, efficiency and technical superiority of the actual implementation etc. -- aspects, which are often not the same, as you will find them in well done PR campaigns and strategic marketing.

i don't want to lessen the importance and attractiveness of resolve for linux users. it could be a really useful choice for many video related work on this platform, if it would be just a little bit better supported. yes -- it's indeed a very well compromise between acceptable processing quality and ease of use on those other platforms, where it works more satisfaying. but we shouldn't praise it, without also mentioning it's obvious weaknesses. frankly, it looks more like an unsurpassable counterpart to all the qualities, we are used to like about open alternatives. you will hardly find any important piece of linux software, which handles bugs and well known deficiencies in a similar unsatisfying manner. and although resolves development progress looks really exciting, it doesn't appear as outstanding innovative at the end. it's just becoming more and more a quite mediocre and eclectic NLE for an uncritical mass audience.

especially the last point should be seen as the main reason, why i personally feel more sympathies for a little spanish competitor, which simply produces much more impressive and uncompromising closed source linux software resp. cross platform solutions for similar tasks. and also one other very well known compositing and project management solution and its already available non-commercial derivative, which really supports all platforms in a satisfaying equal manner, should be seen as an at least equal attractive alternative to linux users, because it gives you much more customization and development freedom than resolve.

don't take me wrong -- that's not just another rant and attempt to bring resolve into disrepute, but to discuss it's objective value to linux users and all its desperately needed improvements in a more equitable and reasonable manner.

jackson1

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi everyone

I went a very long road to get davinci resolve partially installed on opensuse tumbleweed, on a system with 2 Radeon HD 7950. I encountered the following problems:

Davinci Resolve requires OpenCL 1.2 which is only available with the amdgpu-pro driver, which again is not working on distros with newer kernels. So i got OpenCL 1.2 from the amdgpu-pro driver installed together with the amdgpu opensource driver.

Resolve does now start and isn't instantly crashing after launching it and the opencl devices are recognized.

But it seems it was all for nothing, resolve is now crashing after opening a project because it doesnt like Mesa OpenGL. I can install OpenGL provided by the amdgpu-pro driver this will let resolve start but it's instantly crashing the whole os because the pro driver isn't installed. I think this is only happening because the Mesa opengl version is called "4.5 (Mesa 18.0.0-rc4)" instead of just the OpenGL version number.

Does anybody know a way around this problem? It's really frustrating after going such a long way to get OpenCL 1.2 working.

Error Log:
main@localhost:~/veriumMiner-main7.3> cat /opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt | grep GL
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/main/.drirc: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.
libGL: pci id for fd 10: 1002:679a, driver radeonsi
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: undefined symbol: amdgpu_cs_syncobj_import_sync_file)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL: pci id for fd 10: 1002:679a, driver radeonsi
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: undefined symbol: amdgpu_cs_syncobj_import_sync_file)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: amdgpu_cs_syncobj_import_sync_file)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Unrecognized OpenGL version
[0x7f674882bc00] | UI                   | INFO  | 2018-03-26 16:25:47,746 | Not creating special GL widget for screen 0
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/main/.drirc: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.
libGL: pci id for fd 9: 1002:679a, driver radeonsi
libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0
QOpenGLWidget: Failed to make context current
QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context
/opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libQt5Gui.so.5(_ZN21QPlatformBackingStore15composeAndFlushEP7QWindowRK7QRegionRK6QPointP20QPlatformTextureListP14QOpenGLContextb+0x11b)[0x7f6745b9938b]
/opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libQt5Gui.so.5(_ZN21QPlatformBackingStore15composeAndFlushEP7QWindowRK7QRegionRK6QPointP20QPlatformTextureListP14QOpenGLContextb+0x11b)[0x7f6745b9938b]

Martin Schitter

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 pm

jackson1 wrote:I can install OpenGL provided by the amdgpu-pro driver this will let resolve start but it's instantly crashing the whole os because the pro driver isn't installed.

such a wild mix wouldn't work in case of nvidea cards neither. ;)

i'm not very familiar with AMD GPUs, but especially this "southern island" / GCN 1.0 cards seem to need some uncommon system preparations on more recent linux systems. the old fglrx driver isn't usable anymore, and support for "southern island" cards by the "amdgpu" driver is in principle available in kernels >4.9, but marked as "experimental". it therefore needs explicit enabling and recompilation of the kernel in most cases. that's a little bit uncomfortable, but it should be doable. if your kernel includes this driver, you should be able to utilize "amdgpu-pro" on top of it.

jackson1

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 pm

The amdgpu-pro driver is basically useless since kernel 4.10.x (i'm on 4.15.x)

Well, i didn't really expected it to work with that combo. I was just looking where it's failing or with what it's starting.

Seems like some people here got the amdgpu-pro opencl part working too and are ending up with similar issues.

As soon as i use the OpenGL part from the amdgpu-pro driver davinci resolve starts (although the driver isn't working). I've done some research and found out that some programs have issues recognizing the OpenGL version if mesa is being used (just because of the mentioned version output) which would explain the error log.

I think i'll just switch to a used nvidia 980ti when the new nvidia generation is being released, i'm sick of multi gpu issues too.

Martin Schitter

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 am

jackson1 wrote:The amdgpu-pro driver is basically useless since kernel 4.10.x (i'm on 4.15.x)

if you use the search field on top of this page, and look for matching articles containing the search pattern: "AMD", you'll find some reports of users, which use "amdgpu-pro" successfully on quite recent kernels (e.g. [1],[2]).

but in your specific case, you have to enable experimental support for in the amdgpu kernel driver for your particular "[S]outhern [I]slands" card family by recompiling with CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=Y configuration and blacklist the radeon module.

jackson1 wrote:Seems like some people here got the amdgpu-pro opencl part working too and are ending up with similar issues.

well -- as i do not use or like AMD GPUs and CPUs, i can't tell you, if it will finally work in your particular case, but it seems to work for some others...

jackson1 wrote:As soon as i use the OpenGL part from the amdgpu-pro driver davinci resolve starts (although the driver isn't working). I've done some research and found out that some programs have issues recognizing the OpenGL version if mesa is being used (just because of the mentioned version output) which would explain the error log.

this looks more like a consequence of incompatible components to me. if you would try to use the open source "nouveau" Nvidia driver together with the proprietary CUDA libraries, you would cause very similar issues.

jackson1 wrote:I think i'll just switch to a used nvidia 980ti when the new nvidia generation is being released, i'm sick of multi gpu issues too.

nvidia cards and their proprietary drivers are also an inexhaustible source of troubles, but they are more or less unavoidable for many tasks.

but i would rather take a modest and cheap 1050ti or its successor than a more powerful but outdated one to prevent similar complications as in your actual case.

linuxfreak

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 am

The amdgpu-pro works fine here on F27, as stated in my last post. No issues so far after only installing the packages that I really need (as shown in my post).
Today I've received and plugged the Decklink mini monitor, after installing "desktopvideo-10.9.11a2.x86_64.rpm", I could select the mini monitor in the resolve config. I now have a dual screen workspace via the Radeon RX 570 and a 3rd HDMI screen for the monitor output (that also splits the HDMI audio for my amp) plus audio. Plug and play so far. Kudos to blackmagic!! But i'd still be very interested how to enable OSS audio output. The code seems to still be there, looking at the binary. Maybe it's just a matter of setting proper values to Local.Audio.System and Local.Audio.Type ("Opsys-Linux", "OSS", maybe?), in concert with something like "padsp" to emulate /dev/dsp on modern linux systems. As some code is there, it might be nice from BMD to give some hints how that old code could made spawn to live. That would at least be a starting point with OSS based audio (I'm not fluent in current audio stacks, but I'd expect some ways to emulate /dev/dsp, like with padsp).

br Hari

Arun Gurung

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 am

Arun Gurung wrote:I get this with DaVinci Resolve 14.3, hope somebody can assist. Linux 4.11 on CentOS 7.

[arun-g@macbook-air ~]$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.3 (#014)
Main thread starts: 60808B40
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,141 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,142 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fd460808b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-03-11 10:50:11,142 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm that with version 14.01, I can start the program and get past the welcome screens. But when the program itself is about to start, it crashes with similar error as reported above.

Apropos: I learned that Resolve can import, but can't export to MP4 H.264 so maybe you will consider a version with this ability which people will pay for, but can't afford the full Resolve Studio..?

Sulo Kokki

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am

The ActCCMessage is harmless in itself, but the crash on the welcome screen is usually a GPU issue.

You may need to update your GPU drivers, which can get hairy with the CentOS kernel.

Arun Gurung

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:53 am

I have the latest drivers for my Intel HD 6000 and I can run Lightworks and Cinelerra and Kdenlive. Go figure...

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 am

In that case, stick to them. If you want to run the latest Linux Resolve, get an Nvidia/AMD GPU.

Some Intel Integrated Graphics, including yours, can run R14 on the other ports, but the Linux version is trickier. Iris is recommended.

edit: If it's the 6000, you may be able to run R12.5.6, which is available as a Linux stand-alone.

Arun Gurung

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:edit: If it's the 6000, you may be able to run R12.5.6, which is available as a Linux stand-alone.

Thanks, but 12.5.6 also crashes after the welcome screen.

Sulo Kokki

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Right,

So it's a framework issue, I wager. Your Intel GPU would likely use the Mesa library implementation for OpenCL. As seen a bit above in this page, that can cause issues.
jackson1 wrote:I can install OpenGL provided by the amdgpu-pro driver this will let resolve start but it's instantly crashing the whole os because the pro driver isn't installed. I think this is only happening because the Mesa opengl version is called "4.5 (Mesa 18.0.0-rc4)" instead of just the OpenGL version number.

In that case, your /opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt would show something like this:
QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context

What you could try is replacing Mesa with Intel's own OpenCL drivers for Linux.

madenman

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm new to Ubuntu, so if I may be missing something obvious. I'm running Ubuntu 16.0.4 on an HP Pavilion. I've already installed the libdev libraries and made the symbolic link with libcrypto. When I first launched DaVinci Resolve 14.3, I took the tour, but it failed to open the project manager or the actual program. When I typed the command '/opt/resolve/bin/resolve' into the terminal, I got this message.

14.3 (#014)
Main thread starts: 00B5FB40
[0x7f3800b5fb40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 11:24:06,850 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7f3800b5fb40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 11:24:06,850 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7f3800b5fb40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 11:24:06,850 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks in advance

Sulo Kokki

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Read up. We were just discussing about that situation.

Elsewhere in the news, R15 is in beta.

General improvements

* Support for native audio on Linux

You go, BMD. :-D

Daniel Tufvesson

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:General improvements

* Support for native audio on Linux

You go, BMD. :-D
Looks promising!

15.0b1_systemaudio.png
15.0b1_systemaudio.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 126014 times

$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCg.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCgGL.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
New connection received.
log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (GPUManager).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
Connection is closed.
15.0b (#030) Linux/Clang
Main thread starts: D98A8B40
[0x7fcfd98a8b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 21:14:47,218 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fcfd98a8b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 21:14:47,218 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fcfd98a8b40] | Undefined | INFO | 2018-04-09 21:14:47,218 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
JACK Audio Connection Kit
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server

:D :D
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

ivanatora

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 am

I just read about releasing the new version. Should I even hope for a chance for having h264 import/export? :)

Sulo Kokki

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:52 am

Regrettably, the Linux install is still the same shell script as it was with R14.

Here's hoping you'll have the motivation to update makeresolvedeb ;)

Daniel Tufvesson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:Here's hoping you'll have the motivation to update makeresolvedeb ;)
I'm on it Sulo ;) Just needed a little extra work this time to figure out the additions for Fusion.

Here is my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b1 (BETA!)

Instructions here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p361701

makeresolvedeb_15.0b1-1.sh.tar.gz
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 638 times

Keep in mind that this is script is also in it's early beta stage.
Be careful and keep it far away from production environments!
Last edited by Daniel Tufvesson on Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor

Marc Gasser

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am

DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.0b1

After installation I open the application and get following error:

DaVinci Resolve could not find any CUDA capable GPUs. Would you like to review and update your DaVinci Resolve Hardware Configuration?

Please ensure that appropriate GPU and CUDA drivers are installed and your DaVinci Resolve hardware is configured appropriately.

Version 14 did run smooth with my GPU.

nvcc --version
Cuda compilation tools, release 8.0, V8.0.61

nvidia-smi
Driver Version: 384.111
GeForce GTX 960

Running Ubuntu 17.10
Any help on this ?
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am

I got the same thing when running Nvidia 384.111 until I upgraded to the recommended 390.42 version. Too bad the latest packaged driver for most current Debian distros is 384.111...

Arun Gurung

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 am

I try with the R15 beta and get this screen: https://imgur.com/ULSHPCn.

In the configuration, it can find the OpenCL driver, but when the settings are stored, the program crashes and settings are not remembered. https://imgur.com/a/V0jZJ

Looks like my Intel 6000 chip supports OpenCL, but Resolve won't recognise it. I'll try with the next release.
Last edited by Arun Gurung on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Gasser

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am

@ Daniel Tufvesson: Thanks for the trick.

I installed the new NVIDIA390.30 driver and Resolve 15b finally starts up.

Note for Ubuntu users:

Go to this page https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downl ... debnetwork and download the .deb(network) file.

Then do this:
`sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1704_9.1.85-1_amd64.deb`
`sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1704/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub`
`sudo apt-get update`

Now open Software & Updates tool in Ubuntu, go to Additional Driver tab, wait a moment and select the 390.30 driver.
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Test install OK on Linux Mint 18.3.

- updated Nvidia drivers to 390.30 via Update Manager; Mint took on the new driver instantly
- made a .deb with Daniel's script and installed Resolve
- up and running :)

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

@Sulo Kokki
Wonderful news! I’m glad it’s working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve