DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sulo Kokki

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Of course, now R15b1 says it cannot access the existing R14 Cache/Capture folders due to lacking write permissions.

Furthermore, Media page only shows the opt/Resolve/Media mount. The preferences are replicated from R14, but R15b1 cannot access these mounts at all. If I try to add them manually, R15 insists they already exist and refuses.

But. If I add some random folder outside the pre-existing Media pool, all my mountpoints jump up. This appears to affect all the projects in the same db. Other projects still display the write permission errs, for whatever reason.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 pm

@Dwain @ Peter You know your ISO with CentOS is not compatible with our AMD Ryzen 7:

P_20180330_215059.resized.jpg
P_20180330_215059.resized.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 179145 times

It is nevertheless a very interesting processor to make video, and the sales of this processor fly away. We are obliged to use ubuntu and the script to run your software. Almost everything works on ubuntu. Almost. We bought the cards to make the sound work. And I seriously look at your last camera. You see even after installing Davinci Resolve 10 times hoping for a proper functioning, I still love you. :lol:

But where I do not follow you is why I chose centos, who is always a little late, who is not the most used office solution. With Centos we have to cut our discs in 2, to go from one system to another. It is impractical. when I next update ubuntu 18.04 I promise that I will crush the partition CENTOS. Because your ISO is not functional on AMD. I hope someday to discover DEB that will satisfy the majority of Linux users ... and who will be functional on AMD, for the comfort of the greatest number. :)

MikeRochefort

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 am

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl wrote:But where I do not follow you is why I chose centos, who is always a little late, who is not the most used office solution.

CentOS was probably chosen as it and RHEL form the backbone of most studios running Linux. I use it as my main personal workstation’s OS and have no problems with it, and Red Hat are doing a fairly good job of keeping the supported desktop environment modern in the 7.x releases. Another bonus is that in an industry where it is already hard enough as it is to mimic other users/houses environments and toolchains, a long term OS that is rock solid helps ease potential software conflicts and allows the industry to upgrade as a whole when it’s decided to. Sure, we may not have all the newest packages on the planet, but the system is really hard to break and just chews threw tasks with minimal issues.

Honestly, just don’t use BMD’s ISO. Perform a standard CentOS installation then slap Resolve on after. If you check the system requirements of every other major industry tool, they are pretty much built and tested on CentOS.

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

Milan Ihl

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Hmm i was able to set DaVinci (beta) up on my ArchLinux computer (still having issues on my Thinkpad) - however, my MTS files are importet but offline (argh!), MOV files are audio sources and mp4 only got the audio thumbnail but no content at all, well this is frustrating, anything i can do?

I write it to this thread because i edited MTS files with Windows just fine.

Edit: okey case partially clear now even tho i thought it was working with resolve 14 where sound support was missing in the past on linux: "Cannot find the codec for decoding."
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-16 18-00-36.jpg
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-16 18-00-36.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 178909 times
DaVinci Resolve Studio
PC: ArchLinux/Windows10 (main for editing)/macOS HS // 8-Core AMD FX-8350 // RX570 8GB // RAM: 15.57GiB
Laptop: ArchLinux/Windows10 // ThinkPad X250 // Intel i5-5300U // RAM: 7.88GiB

Vassilis Kontodimas

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 am

Is there a way to avoid having to load the libcudart.so.9.1 library?
It just happens that the AMD GPUs don't run on CUDA.

Thanks!

Sam Weston

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 am

Just want to report that, after running a script to point everything in the right direction, Resolve 15 beta works flawlessly on my Dell XPS 15 running Linux Mint 18.3 on an Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU. I'm also really happy to see that audio works without a hitch. Throw in some h.264 support and you guys will make me a very happy filmmaker!

Here's the script I used, based on past forum searches:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
## This script primes an Ubuntu-based system to run DaVinci Resolve

# Installs key libraries.
apt-get -y install libssl-dev
apt-get -y install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

# Important symlinks to convert from RedHat- to Ubuntu-based architectures.
sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstbase-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstbase-0.10.so.0
sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10
sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

# Searches for a DaVinci Resolve install script in ~/bin -- to be downloaded from the BlackMagic site.
sh ~/bin/DaVinci_Resolve*.sh

Vassilis Kontodimas

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Sam Weston wrote:Throw in some h.264 support and you guys will make me a very happy filmmaker!

Thank you so much for the script, Sam!
I installed Resolve on a Debian 9 distro I placed on an additional SSD, since AMD posted their latest drivers truncated on their website again (143MB, as opposed to the normal ~540MB normal file size). I was able to make it run after copying Resolve's installation folder from main Arch system, which offered its own workaround to avoid using nVidia only drivers. Resolve just stonewalls me due to the lack of MESA OpenGL profiles (most likely), hence the Debian.

Per your h.264, there is a very good workaround. In short, FFMPEG is your friend, since it's a nifty & extremely powerful application that can shift the video encoding, with almost zero (if not fully zero) loss.
ffmpeg -i source_file.mp4 -vcodec prores -f mov destination_file.mov

If you have a number of files you need to work on, download WinFF FFMPEG GUI from the repository (since Debian 9 has it, it's certain you'll find it for Mint) and create a new preset with the following code:
-vcodec prores -f mov

After that, you simply drag and drop all the videos on WinFF, select the output folder and you're all set within moments. ;)

If, by any reason, your h.264 uses mp3 sound format, you can add to the above code (after the -vcode prores) the following:
-acodec aac
or -if need be- check the available codecs (instead of aac) by typing:
ffmpeg -codecs

You can get a full report of your video file's data by simply typing:
ffmpeg -i
& you can determine what you need from there.

Prores is a standard used a lot in OSX video processing & it has a few more options, which are not really needed for the h.264 quality files (such as encoding to a full 444).

Hope the above helps. ;)

SteveMulcahy

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

I feel like I'm getting so close.

I'm on Ubuntu 17.10, with a GTX680 and 390.30 but I seem to be getting this issue:

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCg.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCgGL.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)

I didn't see a specific solution to it. Also tried deleting /opt/resolve and then reinstalling after I updated the nvidia driver, but same issue.

Any ideas?

SteveMulcahy

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:42 pm

I found it! needed to install clinfo to see nothing was showing, then I installed nvidia-cuda-toolkit, restarted, and BOOM! Resolve 15 running in all it's glory.

Vassilis, thank you for the ffmpeg commands too, my footage works as well! Can't wait to try this out later.

Daniel Tufvesson

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Good find Steve! I was just about to suggest that and you updated while I was writing :)

Now that I have created a post anyway, I must add a comment to the fix suggested by Sam. It's simple although I would strongly advise against modifying Debian system library directories manually. It's not the Debian way and may cause unexpected and hard to find problems in the long run.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Instead create library symlinks in /opt/resolve/libs/ and the resolve binary will find them.

test -e /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 && ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libcrypto.so.10
test -e /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 && ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libcrypto.so.10
test -e /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 && ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libssl.so.10
test -e /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 && ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libssl.so.10

These four lines should cover needed library links for Resolve 14 & 15 on most Debian based distributions but I would still urge people to take care when running the Resolve installer directly. It will do unhealthy stuff to a Debian based system such as Mint and Ubuntu and does not provide a way to reverse the process. I would not run it on any production environment.
That's why I wrote the DEB-package creator script ;)
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Noel Sterrett

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Linux audio... Fusion page...

This is a fabulous upgrade!

Working (so far) on Ubuntu/Nvidia/Xeon.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Martin Schitter

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:I must add a comment to the fix suggested by Sam. It's simple although I would strongly advise against modifying Debian system library directories manually. It's not the Debian way and may cause unexpected and hard to find problems in the long run.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Instead create library symlinks in /opt/resolve/libs/ and the resolve binary will find them.

...but I would still urge people to take care when running the Resolve installer directly. It will do unhealthy stuff to a Debian based system such as Mint and Ubuntu and does not provide a way to reverse the process. I would not run it on any production environment.
That's why I wrote the DEB-package creator script ;)

Thanks Daniel for this very important remark!

it's really a pleasure, to read, that at least one other user/expert shares my discontent about this kind of really questionable advises...

one other aspect worth mentioning, could be seen in the fact, that the present resolve installer doesn't make any useful checks, if all the tools, which he needs to perform the installation, are already available on the system. that's a very significant flaw, which you will hardly find in similar scripts. but in the actual case of resolve, you definitely have to install at least this list of additional packages [even on a clean CentOS installation!] in advance before the installer will work as expected:

usbutils pciutils psmisc bzip2 unzip rsync

and it's often hard to see, when one of this tools wasn't available, and only some parts of resolve were installed :(

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm

MikeRochefort wrote:Honestly, just don’t use BMD’s ISO. Perform a standard CentOS installation then slap Resolve on after. If you check the system requirements of every other major industry tool, they are pretty much built and tested on CentOS. Cheers, Mike

We tested this, and resolve was not functional. The color settings were not saved. Now that CENTOS is not going to settle on our new AMD Ryzen 7 , I do not think we can say that this is such a nice and compatible system.

Boris Kovalev

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:
Sulo Kokki wrote:Here's hoping you'll have the motivation to update makeresolvedeb ;)
I'm on it Sulo ;) Just needed a little extra work this time to figure out the additions for Fusion.

Here is my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b1 (BETA!)

Instructions here --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p361701

makeresolvedeb_15.0b1-1.sh.tar.gz

Keep in mind that this is script is also in it's early beta stage.
Be careful and keep it far away from production environments!

Almost there!
ldd gives me:
libssl.so.10 => not found
libcrypto.so.10 => not found
On fresh Debian 9 64 bit setup with makeresolvedeb lite
Any ideas? Original setup still has same problems as resolve 14. Thanks for the effort!

Daniel Tufvesson

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 am

Boris Kovalev wrote:
Daniel Tufvesson wrote:
Sulo Kokki wrote:Here's hoping you'll have the motivation to update makeresolvedeb ;)
I'm on it Sulo ;) Just needed a little extra work this time to figure out the additions for Fusion.

Here is my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b1 (BETA!)

makeresolvedeb_15.0b1-1.sh.tar.gz

Almost there!
ldd gives me:
libssl.so.10 => not found
libcrypto.so.10 => not found
On fresh Debian 9 64 bit setup with makeresolvedeb lite
Any ideas? Original setup still has same problems as resolve 14. Thanks for the effort!

Resolve requires a relatively old version of libssl that is not included in Debian 9.
Install libssl1.0.0 from Jessie (https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libssl1.0.0).
Reinstall the Resolve deb and you should be good to go :)
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor

MikeRochefort

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 6:34 am

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl wrote:We tested this, and resolve was not functional. The color settings were not saved. Now that CENTOS is not going to settle on our new AMD Ryzen 7 , I do not think we can say that this is such a nice and compatible system.

What issues were you running into? CentOS should support the newer chips since the added support for EPYC, but I don’t have any on hand to test or confirm. I just installed Resolve on my workstation running my own CentOS 7.4 config and with the exception of a ‘minor’ mishap with OpenCL (I temporarily bricked my system), everything just works.

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

Cedric Akins

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 38 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z87X-UD4H-CF (SOCKET 0) 30 °C
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (EVGA) 36 °C
ForceWare version: 388.13
SLI Disabled
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I have the program installed and it works for the most part. However, when I open the Color tab there is no video playback in the program monitor, my external monitor or in the scopes. I cannot tell what my adjustments look like as far as color changes are concerned. Also as it plays in color the timeline it is about 1 frame per second.

In the Fairlight tab there are no audio clips present on the timeline. I can see the clips on the Edit tab but not in Fairlight.

Martin Schitter

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Cedric Akins wrote:I have the program installed and it works for the most part. However, when I open the Color tab there is no video playback in the program monitor, my external monitor or in the scopes.

as you are writing in this linux thread, i don't think, you are reporting experiances on "Windows 10 Pro 64-bit". nevertheless it would be useful, if you could mention your actually used linux distribution as well, because the described color panel related issues could perhaps be caused by SELinux or similar peculiarities of your system, but could also have its rational cause in nvida driver version incompatibilities or only partial installation...

Cedric Akins

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 3:50 am

OOps. I did not realize that. Thanks.

Marc Gasser

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 pm

DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion tab

Anyone else ever tested the Fusion tab in Resolve15 under Linux?
I can import an image sequence into Resolve, then I go to the Fusion tab, hit CTRL + SPACE, type merge to add a merge node, then hit CTRL + SPACE again and type background.

After selecting background, Resolve quits.
Message in terminal: Socket disconnected

Is it reproduceable for anyone else?
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Vassilis Kontodimas

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Marc Gasser wrote:DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion tab

Anyone else ever tested the Fusion tab in Resolve15 under Linux?
I can import an image sequence into Resolve, then I go to the Fusion tab, hit CTRL + SPACE, type merge to add a merge node, then hit CTRL + SPACE again and type background.

After selecting background, Resolve quits.
Message in terminal: Socket disconnected

Is it reproduceable for anyone else?

I can confirm & reported the background/merge issue as a bug. Though I use Shift+Space for the typing menu. It happens when I try to connect the footage to a merge node. Basically anything that changes the footage from being the primary background.

Daniel Tufvesson

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Here is my Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b2 (BETA!)

makeresolvedeb_15.0b2-1.sh.tar.gz
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 653 times

Marc Gasser

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 pm

@Vassilis Kontodimas: Under Configuration I switched to "Always run Fusion on CPU" this helped to solve some stability issues.

Thanks for reporting the bug to Blackmagicdesign.
I stopped reporting Linux bugs since I had the feeling no one there really cares about feedback and support. (e.g. Still not able to use network rendering in Linux, waiting since months for a response).
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

John Morris

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Marc Gasser wrote:hanks for reporting the bug to Blackmagicdesign.
I stopped reporting Linux bugs since I had the feeling no one there really cares about feedback and support. (e.g. Still not able to use network rendering in Linux, waiting since months for a response).

Yes, use of a good public facing bug reporting/tracking system might help matters. There are lessons to be learned from the old 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' regarding valuing people who report software bugs:
  • Treating your users as co-developers is your least-hassle route to rapid code improvement and effective debugging.
  • Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers.
  • Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone.
  • If you treat your beta-testers as if they're your most valuable resource, they will respond by becoming your most valuable resource.
  • The next best thing to having good ideas is recognizing good ideas from your users. Sometimes the latter is better.
Some of that seems to be being realized. What's mostly missing is acknowledgement that reports are being heard, prioritized and acted upon. A more reliable feedback path to users would be appreciated.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

Ammon Dayley

PostTue May 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm trying to get resolve working on Elementary os (based on ubuntu).
I am getting this error when I try to install
Uncompressing DaVinci Resolve Installation Package  100% 
Extracting files...
tar: /usr/lib64: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
./install.sh: line 49: Exit_With_Error: command not found
resolve: no process found
Copying Resolve files...
Copying scripts...
Copying docs...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying UI resources...
Copying libraries...
Creating shortcuts...
cp: cannot create regular file '/home/morowarrior/Desktop/': Not a directory
/bin/chown: cannot access '/home/morowarrior/Desktop/DaVinci Resolve.desktop': No such file or directory
/bin/chmod: cannot access '/home/morowarrior/Desktop/DaVinci Resolve.desktop': No such file or directory
bmdpaneld: no process found
Resolve System Updated

Any and all theory's are welcome.

Alvaro Castaneda

PostWed May 02, 2018 12:09 am

you need to link lib64 to lib

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

Ammon Dayley

PostWed May 02, 2018 2:35 am

That worked. :)
Thanks
Ammon

taohansen

PostSat May 05, 2018 3:35 am

DaVinci team,

Please just do us the kindness of packaging up in Snap, Flatpak or AppImage. It's 2018 and it's a little silly a huge company can't get it together to do this but every single open source competitor can.

Noel Sterrett

PostMon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.04 on a spare machine and 15b2 works quite well (so far).

I first had to add two links which were slightly different than the equivalent links for 17.10:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

Apparently, 18.04 wants the libs in /usr/lib rather than /lib.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Here is my updated Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b2 (BETA!)

makeresolvedeb_15.0b2-2.sh.tar.gz
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

FIXES
1. Improved handling of the resolve config to keep it consistent between upgrades.
2. Running dpkg-reconfigure on the package will now update library symlinks properly.

Neil Preston

PostThu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks Daniel for the deb packages you have provided for Resolve. Using it I managed to get 14.3 installed on Ubuntu 18.04 and so far it is working well.

The knowledge shared by the more experienced members of this forum is really appreciated.

I'm just a hobbyist considering buying the Linux Studio version, but i need to know if it will import mp4 files and if audio will be functional on the Linux Studio version. It seems from the spec comparison info available on BM's site that it does, but I would like to be absolutely sure. Any further info would be a big help.
Ubuntu 20.04, Dell G5 Laptop, Intel i7, 32gb ram, GTX 1650 6gb, Resolve Studio 16,

Doug Marsh

PostThu May 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Neil Preston wrote:Thanks Daniel for the deb packages you have provided for Resolve. Using it I managed to get 14.3 installed on Ubuntu 18.04 and so far it is working well.

Yes he has been a champion when it comes to .DEB (ubuntu) support/packaging. I am surprised he hasn't been hired by Blackmagic yet!?

Neil Preston wrote:I'm just a hobbyist considering buying the Linux Studio version, but i need to know if it will import mp4 files and if audio will be functional on the Linux Studio version. It seems from the spec comparison info available on BM's site that it does, but I would like to be absolutely sure. Any further info would be a big help.

I purchased the commercial version (studio) and it uses/required nVidia hardware and commercial drivers installed to import H264 (mp4). The free version (as of last I tried) doesn't support it.

ONE minor thing (that will effect very few folks), the nVidia hardware accelerated H264 support (that Resolve Studio makes use of) doesn't support lossless H264 (X264 library implements it).

--Doug (dx9s)

Neil Preston

PostThu May 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the information Doug. Looks like the Studio version is going to work for me. It's overkill for what I do, but when it's just a hobby it doesn't always have to make sense. It just needs to be enjoyed.
Ubuntu 20.04, Dell G5 Laptop, Intel i7, 32gb ram, GTX 1650 6gb, Resolve Studio 16,

Daniel Tufvesson

PostThu May 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm really glad you guys find my work useful! It has taken fair bit of time and effort to create and maintain makeresolvedeb. I'm a big fan of Resolve and Debian so this was a good match for me. To me a .deb is the only proper way to install Resolve on a Debian based system. I'm actually surprised BMD hasn't released their own .deb yet but the current situation is actually quite good. The openness of the current Resolve installer is what makes makeresolvedeb possible. I was trying to do something similar with the Fusion installer but found no elegant way. Now with Resolve 15 wonderfully including Fusion this situation was automagically solved! Thank you BMD :)

To give my answer to Neil's question regarding Resolve Studio and mp4 files, I regularly get mp4 material from the GH5 (both 8 and 10 bit) along with files from the DJI Mavic Pro and Spark, and it's working beautifully in the Studio version! If you are a hobbyist running a standalone Ubuntu/Debian system I would actually recommend going for 15.0b2 (current beta) instead of 14.3. In my experience the UI of 15.0b2 is much more responsive compared to 14.3 and the fact that system audio monitoring is working now makes it a huge plus! On my Debian 9 system I actually find 15.0b2 to be more stable than 14.3!

Daniel Tufvesson

PostThu May 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Here is my updated Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 14.3

makeresolvedeb_14.3-2.sh.tar.gz
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

FIXES
1. Improved handling of the resolve config to keep it consistent between upgrades.
2. Running dpkg-reconfigure on the package will now update library symlinks properly.

Neil Preston

PostFri May 11, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks Daniel for the advice to rather install 15.0b2. which I will do this morning. Before I do that I was wondering if there would be any advantage to first replacing my Ubuntu install with Debian on the desktop that I use for Resolve.

I have an empty drive to use for a Debian Installation, so there is no inconvenience for me to do it.

I am busy downloading a Debian iso on my laptop at the moment.

johnford

PostFri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

[quote="Daniel Tufvesson"]Here is my updated Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b2 (BETA!)

Thanks for posting... I get the following error though on Ubuntu 18.04:

Creating directory ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing DaVinci Resolve Installation Package 100%
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/configs
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/docs
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/easyDCP
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/graphics
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/logs
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/scripts
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/.LUT
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/.license
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/DolbyVision
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/Fairlight
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/Media
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/Resolve Disk Database
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/UI_Resource [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/libs [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/plugins [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/Developer [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/LUT [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/panels/DaVinciPanelDaemon [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/DaVinci_Resolve_Manual.pdf [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/docs/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/resolve [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/bmdpaneld [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/BMDPanelFirmware [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/DPDecoder [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/qt.conf [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/ShowDpxHeader [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/TestIO [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/deviceQuery [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/bandwidthTest [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/oclDeviceQuery [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/oclBandwidthTest [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/VstScanner [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/script.getlogs.v4 [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/scripts/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/Onboarding [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/script.start [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/scripts/
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/Control [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/DV_Resolve.png [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/graphics
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/default-config-linux.dat [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/configs/config.dat-pkg-default
[COPY] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/log-conf.xml [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml-pkg-default
[EXTRACT] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/panels/libusb-1.0.tgz [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin
[EXTRACT] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/panels/dvpanel-framework-linux-x86_64.tgz [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/bin
[EXTRACT] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/panels/dvpanel-utility-linux-x86_64.tgz [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[EXTRACT] ./unpack-DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux/rsf/fusion_presets.zip [TO] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/LUT/trim_lut0.dpx.gz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/aaf_runtime_libs_x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/easydcp-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/fairlight-lib-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/fusion-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/ffmpeg-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/graphviz-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/log4cxx_runtime_libs_x64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/mxf-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/sonyrawdev-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/smdk-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/sstp-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[EXTRACT] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/opt/resolve/libs/sxavc-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/lib/udev/rules.d
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/usr/share/applications/
[CREATE DIRECTORY] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/DEBIAN
[MAKE EXECUTABLE] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/DEBIAN/postinst
[MAKE EXECUTABLE] ./davinci-resolve_15.0b2-2_amd64/DEBIAN/prerm
Sorry. Need 'fakeroot' to continue.

Can you help? Thanks!

Martin Schitter

PostFri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:I'm really glad you guys find my work useful! It has taken fair bit of time and effort to create and maintain makeresolvedeb. I'm a big fan of Resolve and Debian so this was a good match for me.

i also like your endeavor to improve the situation for debian users. and your script looks indeed much more acceptable to me, them most of this stupid ad hock hacks, which simply advise to place silly links in the system directories, without considering their debian specific layout and its reasons, don't think about ld.so.conf requirements etc.

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:To me a .deb is the only proper way to install Resolve on a Debian based system.

yes -- that's something, i can 100% agree!

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:I'm actually surprised BMD hasn't released their own .deb yet but the current situation is actually quite good. The openness of the current Resolve installer is what makes makeresolvedeb possible. I was trying to do something similar with the Fusion installer but found no elegant way.

that's again point, which a can't agree. the usual Qt installer framework based alternatives, as for example used by nuke or sgo mistika, can be manually decomposed in a quite similar manner as the actual resolve installer (here is a practical example). but in practice this other kind of installer looks much more user friendly. and as much as i prefer native debian packages, i still have emphasize the fact, that Qt installers are at least compatible to automatic package generation via CheckInstall, which unfortunately isn't the case with resolves present installer.

although i really like your script, i'm still not satisfied by the actual situation. putting everything into a .deb-package and make it proper uninstallable is indeed a very important first step, but it's on the other hand just a part of the whole game. reproducible CI builds and tests, automatically generated dependency graphs, which declare all necessary other installation requirements, and comfortable updates from external repositories, without any need of manual workarounds, are very useful too.

and what's the main issue, all those really trivial fixes to the installer and naming of required libraries, which wouldn't lessen the compatibility in the case of CentOS and RHEL, but would make live much easier for debian/ubuntu/mint users, are still ignored by BMD. that's a really a very frustrating state of things, because you simply can not improve the situation in a significant manner, as long as the upstream source does their best to ignore/boycott any relevant attempts.

nevertheless i'm quite optimistic, that the situation will improve over time. it's very encouraging, how much interest among the linux users 15b already attracted. i think, BMD will have to react sooner or later and improve the software in regard to this little share of customers too.

Neil Preston

PostFri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote: .... I would actually recommend going for 15.0b2 (current beta) instead of 14.3. In my experience the UI of 15.0b2 is much more responsive compared to 14.3 and the fact that system audio monitoring is ....

Thanks Daniel for the advice. I have installed your deb for 15.0b2, but there are 3 problems with lib files:

LibCg.so ... no version info. Resolve requires this.
LibCgGL.so ... no version info. Resolve requires this.
LibOpenCL.so.1 not found

Help on how to fix this would really be appreciated.
Would it be an advantage to replace the Ubuntu 18.04 I’m running, with Debian 9.

danieldaeschle

PostSun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm

I have an error. I can't start Resolve on Manjaro. I tried Beta 15 and 14 already. Same error.

Error (it is german, sorry):
[daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve  vvv
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.3 (#014)
Main thread starts: 8B602B00
Printing Stack Info
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3c71e9c]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3e18615]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3d20be6]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3d20050]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3f09c7b]
/opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libQt5Core.so.5(_ZNK13QMetaProperty4readEPK7QObject+0x10c) [0x7f62898b9f1c]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3e145d5]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3dd3354]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3ea6013]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3ea9bbb]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3ea9fc5]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3eaa8da]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x3eaf7fc]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0xd16ab0]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0xd16c09]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0xcfc20d]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x71ede8]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(main+0x4d8) [0x701468]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe7) [0x7f6272f649a7]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve() [0x7001d9]
log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (DbCommon2).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
resolve: AppConfig.cpp:159: void AppConfig::LoadAllSiteInfo(): Zusicherung »m_SiteEnabledIdx > 0« nicht erfüllt.
Abgebrochen (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Logfile:
[daniel@daniel-pc ~]$ cat /opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt
[0x7f0626f5cb00] | Main                 | INFO  | 2018-05-13 23:00:59,119 | Updating display GPU information...
[0x7f0626f5cb00] | Main                 | INFO  | 2018-05-13 23:00:59,148 | Detecting Main Display properties
[0x7f0626f5cb00] | Main                 | INFO  | 2018-05-13 23:00:59,153 | Process to detect main display has finished
[0x7f0626f5cb00] | Main                 | INFO  | 2018-05-13 23:00:59,161 | Fallback process to detect main display has finished
OpenCL error -1.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ReactorGPU::GPUException'

Some required information is missing for email crash report, the crash archive will not be updated

==========[CRASH DUMP]========
Please send this to support:
#TIME Sun May 13 23:00:59 2018 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.3 (#014)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(_ZN7BtDebug14ReportSegfaultEiP7siginfoPv+0x44)[0x3c72c94]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x10b)[0x7f060e8d1efb]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x10b)[0x7f060e8d1efb]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x151)[0x7f060e8d32c1]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x147)[0x7f060eefdd57]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8c8c6)[0x7f060eefb8c6]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8c913)[0x7f060eefb913]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8cb68)[0x7f060eefbb68]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x74faa3]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x74e96b]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x7485bc]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x71110f]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x7183c3]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x7194c9]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x719868]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xcfac10]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xcfc11b]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x71e772]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x71f560]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(main+0x4d8)[0x701468]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe7)[0x7f060e8be9a7]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x7001d9]
Signal Number = 6
==============================

Can someone help me please?

Boris Kovalev

PostMon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Still nothing.
I have openssh from debian8 installed over Debian 9.4 as @Daniel Tufvesson mentioned.
Nvidia binary from non-free set, as well as nvidia-libopencl1, nvidia-opencl-dev, nvidia-opencl-common

DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b2_Linux.sh
makeresolvedeb_15.0b2-2.sh

Output:

$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCg.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: /opt/resolve/bin/../libs/libCgGL.so: no version information available (required by /opt/resolve/bin/resolve)
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
15.0b (#037) Linux/Clang
Main thread starts: 2E288A40
[0x7efd2e288a40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2018-05-14 18:44:59,180 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7efd2e288a40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2018-05-14 18:44:59,180 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7efd2e288a40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2018-05-14 18:44:59,180 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$ cat /opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt
[0x7efd2e288a40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2018-05-14 18:44:59,308 | Updating display GPU information...

Some required information is missing for email crash report, the crash archive will not be updated

==========[CRASH DUMP]========
Please send this to support:
#TIME Mon May 14 18:44:59 2018 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 15.0b (#037)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(_ZN7BtDebug14ReportSegfaultEiP7siginfoPv+0x3b)[0x3c7656b]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8dc073]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8dc073]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8d33d2]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8d0f1e]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8cfafc]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8cf3e8]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x1492690]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xe062e9]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xe06213]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8e0fcf]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8e1abd]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(main+0x76c)[0x8c902c]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf1)[0x7efd3639e2e1]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x8c7e79]
Signal Number = 4
==============================

Any ideas? Regards!

Martin Schitter

PostMon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Boris Kovalev wrote:Nvidia binary from non-free set...

i usually use 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' instead of the precompiled binaries, but this should not make any difference as long as the actual running kernel fits to the binary kernel module.

did you install any additional cuda related stuff ('libcuda1' or 'libcudart9.1') resp. was it pulled as a dependency?

what does 'nvidia-smi' report?

Daniel Tufvesson

PostTue May 15, 2018 5:48 am

Could Boris' issue perhaps be related to the Nvidia driver version? BMD recommends 390.42 in Linux_Installation_Instructions.pdf. Version 390.48 is available in stretch-backports. That's the one I use to get 15b2 running. 375.82 for example will not work.

Also I would second Martins advise on using nvidia-kernel-dkms. Make sure you have the header files installed for your current kernel (usually linux-headers-amd64) to make dkms happy.

Martin Schitter

PostTue May 15, 2018 6:25 am

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:Could Boris' issue perhaps be related to the Nvidia driver version? BMD recommends 390.42 in Linux_Installation_Instructions.pdf. Version 390.48 is available in stretch-backports. That's the one I use to get 15b2 running. 375.82 for example will not work.

yes, that's indeed another possible source of troubles.

i personally prefer to run debian 'testing' in rolling release mode (= nvidia-driver version 390.48 right now) on most of my machines, because it's usually more consistent and utilized/debugged by a wider active user community than backport mixes, but in the case of this particular driver, this shouldn't make any difference.

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed May 16, 2018 6:59 am

johnford wrote:Sorry. Need 'fakeroot' to continue.

Can you help? Thanks!
It looks like you need to install the 'fakeroot' package.

sudo apt-get install fakeroot should do the trick.

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed May 16, 2018 7:01 am

Here is my updated Resolve DEB package creator for Resolve version 15.0b3 (BETA!)

makeresolvedeb_15.0b3-1.sh.tar.gz
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 555 times

Keep in mind that this is script is also in it's beta stage.

Sulo Kokki

PostWed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm

:-D

Another successful Resolve upgrade, thanks to Daniel's .deb.

Doug Marsh wrote:
Neil Preston wrote:Thanks Daniel for the deb packages you have provided for Resolve. Using it I managed to get 14.3 installed on Ubuntu 18.04 and so far it is working well.
Yes he has been a champion when it comes to .DEB (ubuntu) support/packaging. I am surprised he hasn't been hired by Blackmagic yet!?
Daniel's script answers to a social call by the Debian community and goes a long way in helping BMD out, by allowing the users a more proper way to install the software. The official alternative is, essentially, install a CentOS. Insult to injury, their official ISO is in dire need of upgrades. Suffice to say, the official support for the Linux port is still seriously lacking.

The current climate is a bit mixed. We got System Audio within a year, because BMD got smart on the matter. Would still like support for Mesa and FFMpeg - and mending that installation. I sometimes wonder whether BMD wants to keep the Linux port weird and unusual. I base this on the notion that they appear a bit casual in developing it to a comparatively acceptable point. Appointing say, Ubuntu, as an officially supported platform would only take a sought-out to Canonical.

v14 was not ready for the greater Linux community. And v15b3 is not exactly there yet, either. At least now, BMD know a lot more about the Linux install than they did the last time around. Some major caveats have been fixed. Users can focus on actually running it.

To be fair, BMD folks here must feel a bit tired with the Linux crowd at times. A very needy bunch, who feel entitled to have certain features with their port. Some more bluntly than others. An emotional thing, Linux. And we really just want the port to to utilize all the beneficial elements available on the platform.

Because that's the best Resolve for Linux and BMD can do it.

(Of course, this all could change once v15 leaves beta.)
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Boris Kovalev

PostThu May 17, 2018 4:17 am

Same error (Signal Number = 4) on Ubuntu 18.04
DaVinci_Resolve_15.0b3_Linux.sh
makeresolvedeb_15.0b3-1.sh
Nvidia driver: 390.48
nvidia-cuda-toolkit installed
ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
Everything else - ok, nothing missing.

I'm stuck for now, any ideas are welcome

Thomas Lombard

PostThu May 17, 2018 7:34 am

Hi,
For my part the transition between the BETA2 to the BETA 3 was perfect. no problem for all my actual projets, everythings rolls. (ubuntu 18.04 makeresolvedeb_15.0b3-1.sh Nvidia driver: 390.48)

- still the permutation screen problem (for the dual screen) maybe ubuntu gnome problem?!
- still have crash for one of my complex edition, but now it crash freezing instead of quit.
- I don"t have any green bar with the DJI phantom pro4 h264 4K50p H264 format video sources for all my videos projets
- Still mising the H264/H265 Export for linux
TooM
Multi (x9)PC WorkStation - LinuxOS (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS)
OMV 10 Gbps NAS server - All PC WorkStation 2,5Gbps - PostgreSQL Collaboration
http://k-prod.fr - Vidéo Edition Agency

Neil Preston

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks Daniel for the Beta 3 deb.

I took your suggestion and installed 15.0b3. All went well with just the message about Resolve requiring the the ligCg.and libCgGL version info.

The splash screen and project manager screens open perfectly in the centre of the screen, but the main screen is off centre and cant be re-positioned. All the basics of the edit module seem to work, create bins, import media, timeline etc, but there are no minimize/maximize buttons. I have installed from a clean Ubuntu install a number of times.

I'm not a Linux expert, and I'm a Resolver beginner, so I could be missing something obvious. I have read back on the topic and tried most of the previous suggestions.

Nvidia 390 driver selected in Ubuntu.

PC spec:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 Proc,
12Gb Ram
Nvidia Gforce 750

Screenshot from 2018-05-16 22-26-45.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 22-26-45.png (211.41 KiB) Viewed 173673 times
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve