DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Morris

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Sarah Corriher wrote:Thanks. The trouble is that there really is no adequate video editing program for Linux right now. This is the closest there is, to my knowledge. I don't even want to think about Kdenlive/Openshot. Do you know what the minimum setup would be, or is that what you already described?

If you already have a second monitor that has an audio out connector, the current cheapest solution to audio output on Linux is a DeckLink Mini Monitor (or DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, if you want full screen UHD).
My setup is 2 monitors with one of the monitors connected to the HDMI output of the DeckLink and external speakers plugged into the audio out connector of that monitor. I also have that monitor connected to the PC graphics card via displayport so I can switch the input on the monitor for normal use. The other monitor is just connected to another port on the PC graphics card.
I would rather just be able to use system audio of course but the above system works OK.

Ian MacLean

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Thank you Dwaine. A couple of other basic questions:
-I have the BM CentOS build successfully installed, and Resolve and Fusion working.
-However, I am assuming it's more practical to NOT use this OS install as one's main OS for everyday use.
-I have other conventional drives I can install later, but right now I have two 500 GB SSD's.
-I intend to put another Linux distro on the same SSD as the BM CentOS build, and leave the second SSD available for fast video caching by Resolve (and Fusion).
-Does this make sense, or would it be better to organize it another way? Any recommendations on partition size would also be welcome.

Many thanks.

*I forgot. Will your CentOS build want to auto update? If so, how do I turn that off?

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Ian: ...No, you should not update the OS after install.

When there is a new CentOS version we support, we'll have a new ISO image for that version.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 pm

If it asks to update, don't. I don't think it will.

You are correct that our ISO image is pretty much setup as a dedicated Resolve system, and it may not be the best practical everyday beater machine.

You can install Resolve on an existing build, as long as it's CentOS or RHEL 7 based, as long as you don't mind getting the NVIDIA driver installed (seems to be less than trivial for some) or installing PostgreSQL, if you need it.

As evidenced in this long forum thread, you can get Resolve installed on other distro's with varying degrees of effort and success, but we currently target and support CentOS/RHEL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ian MacLean

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 pm

*Note for others on Updates to the BM CentOS build: So far, the only update notification that's been an issue is when shutting down the OS. In the confirmation window, there is an update option that's useful to be aware of as you'll need to override your muscle memory and NOT select it.

Gaspard Bariller

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Hello to everyone,

I'm currently experiencing launching problems of Da Vinci Resolve 14.11 on OpenSuSe Tumbleweed. Here is the error I get if I try to run it from command line :
Code: Select all
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've tried to install libssl using zypper and to create symbolic links (ln -s) in diverse places to help Resolve to find the "missing" libraries but so far it has'nt worked...

I'm using a Nvidia Quadro 3000M on an HP Elitebook 8760w, Da Vinci Resolve worked perfectly under Windows 10 (same PC). I installed Nvidia drivers (from community repos, installation from downladed file could'nt work somehow).

I'm stuck here, hope someone will be able to give me a hand :).

Ondra Mayer

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello All,

Just installed fresh system from iso (14.1), centos 7 on recommended hw.
Everything works until system update (new kernel version) is performed. After updating kernel, system is not able to boot. Looks like boot partition is too small to run the update.

Can you please advice that small boot partition (1Gb) is being created by design by automatic install to prevent updates?

Thanks much, O.

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm

My feedback: We have been able to install centos. The drivers are painful but we get there with online tutorials. Test two Beta versions then two stable versions, then buy a 4K BMD card. Not having any answer as to the smooth running of the studio version as to the color tab on linux leaves me sad. I have two film projects started on davinci and unfortunately he can not find the word FIN. Three months that lasts. I am very sad.

Arthur Sergin

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 am

Gaspard Bariller wrote:Hello to everyone,

I'm currently experiencing launching problems of Da Vinci Resolve 14.11 on OpenSuSe Tumbleweed. Here is the error I get if I try to run it from command line :
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Different Linux distros have different places where shared libs live. This is one of the reasons which makes it hard to fit all Linux distros at once. You should run 'ldd' command against resolve full path in order to see which libs are not fit and where to put your symlinks.
#ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve

Find all places with 'Not found' state and create symlinks to appropriate libs on your system. Hope that helps.

Steve Baxter

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am

For information for others installing on Linux:

I have installed Desktop Video and Resolve 14 free on Ubuntu Studio 14 and have audio output in Resolve working via BM Intensity Pro PCIE card through the analogue audio connectors on the breakout cable.

The only issue I have come across so far is that engaging the compressor or limiter / gate in a fairlight channel strip cause the channel output level to jump very high and distort. The EQ functionality is fine it's just the engaging dynamics which causes this to happen.
Resolve 12.5.2
Windows 7 Pro 64
128Gb Samsumg EVO SSD (system)
2Tb Toshiba Red x 2
1Tb Hitachi drive
16Gb RAM
AMD Radeon RX480 (8Gb)
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve