Switched to PC from Mac? How annoying was it?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Lear

Switched to PC from Mac? How annoying was it?

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:32 pm

This is a question for those who have made the switch - how annoying was it?

Like many of you, I need to buy a computer (my iMac was stolen) and for my budget (around $2500) I can get a much better spec on a Windows box. And better spec = time saved if you're having to transcode h264 rushes.

[For spec lovers the quotes I have for $2500 (NB South African prices, stuff is much more expensive here)
PC = 4.2 GHz kaby lake i7, 8GB 1070, 16GB DDR4 RAM, small SSD + 1TB HDD + 27” Dell U2717D monitor. iMac = 3.2 GHz Skylake i5, 2GB M380, 8GB DDR3 RAM, only HDD, 27” monitor

I've been a Mac user 15 years now, but was a Windows user for 10 years before that.

The main thing I've thought of so far is the keyboard is different for functions like copy and paste - on a Mac the command key is next to the space bar whereas on a PC keyboard it is at the far left. How many things are there like that you have to relearn the muscle memory for?
iMac 27" (late 2015, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, M395X 4GB VRAM), MacOS 10.12.2, Resolve 12.5.4.019

Mads Johansen

Re: Switched to PC from Mac? How annoying was it?

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

If keyboard is the main issue, I would look into something like this. It allows you to change the function of keys, so it becomes more familiar.

Chip.Murphy

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:32 am

The switch isn't bad. The lack of prores encoding is frustrating but cineform works fine, if your clients accept it.

I have a p9x79 and 3930k from a few years back (sold my mac pro cheesegrater) that works fine (built directly from the Resolve Config Guide). If you follow the Resolve PC config guide (x99) you'll be fine for a few years, sans GPU updates.

You'll get used to the keyboard changes quickly. Windows 10 is incredibly refreshing and imho, windows explorer is snappier than finder.

Also, if a client gives you an XML project that from a Mac hard drive, you can remap the drive to emulate /volumes/$harddrivehere/ easily (just need an hfs+ driver).

TLDR: make the switch, but lack of prores encoding hurts.

Adelson Munhoz

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 am

For ProRes encoding in PC, use the combination of anotherGUI with ffmpeg:

http://www.stuudio.ee/anothergui/

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

It has batch rendering, simultaneous threads and presets management. And It's free.

In fact, works way better than Adobe Media Encoder and Quicktime Pro encoder.

In Resolve, render in any format you want (AVI Cineform, DPX, TIFF or PNG sequences) select a preset, drag and drop over AnotherGUI, click "GO!" and that's it.

ffmeg, in addition, supports ProRes4444

Clipboard08.jpg
Clipboard08.jpg (112.43 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 am

MixingLight.com (which is normally a pay site) has a free download on the pros and cons of switching to Windows from Mac. I have to say, even as a longtime Mac user (30 years this year), I'm getting ready to dump the piece of crap Trashcan Mac and go with a PC, just due to render glitches and the inability to upgrade the GPU.

https://mixinglight.com/portfolio/mac-p ... moving-pc/

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Marc Wielage wrote: I'm getting ready to dump the piece of crap Trashcan Mac and go with a PC, just due to render glitches and the inability to upgrade the GPU.
Never understood the motivation for a pro to go for a trashcan, given that even the form factor only can show we won't be able to upgrade anything... [nothing to do with you of course, just sayin in general]

Beside that, anyone can see on barefeat that a legacy macpro tower with proper double GPU inside* wipe the floor with the thrashcan
*(don't even talk about an external PCIe enclosure)

Nowadays, due to the lack of nvidia 10xx series webdriver for Mac, things obviously change...

DiDi Lin

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

We have the similar background, 15 years on apple and preview 10 with pc.

It was time for me to buy a new laptop, and I just couldn't convince myself to purchase the New Macbookpro. So I took this opportunity to jump ship back to PC to give it a try. I am using an MSI now, and it performs similar to my iMac 5k maxed out or maybe even faster.

The first 2 weeks was a bit rough. But now, I am sticking with PC. The only thing that was truly painful isn't about the UI. It is actually migrating the data! Since I had all the drives setup with OS extended, I had to reformat most of my old drives so I can read on PC and Mac. And the Drobo that I am using now can only work with one OS system. I have also read that you need to be careful working with exfat. I work with external SSD and I always make sure I eject the drive properly when I am on the go. Or there might be chance of data corruption. I think it happened once that I lost my work on resolve. Not sure what exactly happened, but I lost power on my computer and my work was gone. Like I can't even find the project.

I think if its a desktop, it would be more solid.

Other then that... I think PC is actually great!!!

Nick Lear

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 am

I must admit, the switch (1 week so far) has not been as bad as I feared. I think I do have some old Windows muscle memory that has come back. I think I even prefer the position of the control key to the apple key.

Also, things like the BIOS look so much nicer than I remember! But Windows is surprisingly similar, although definitely improved. The main thing I actually notice is that the system fonts for the Resolve menus look very budget to my eyes compared to the Mac version.

There are a few things that I haven't worked out yet, like frame by frame audio scrubbing isn't working for me. But I was pleased to see my custom keyboard map transferred ok.

I'm using the Paragon HFS+ software trial to copy files over and then I will reformat my drives.
iMac 27" (late 2015, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, M395X 4GB VRAM), MacOS 10.12.2, Resolve 12.5.4.019

Dermot Shane

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:06 pm

DiDi Lin wrote: The only thing that was truly painful isn't about the UI. It is actually migrating the data! Since I had all the drives setup with OS extended, I had to reformat most of my old drives so I can read on PC and Mac. And the Drobo that I am using now can only work with one OS system. I have also read that you need to be careful working with exfat.

notes;
- i use Paragon's HFS+ to read/write Mac formatted disks on my PeeCeeee's, well worth the $20
- i useTuxera on my Mac's to write NTFS, again well worth the small cost
- fixing ExFat if the table gets corrupted can be problematic, be very careful about removeing the disk from the OS before disconnecting
- make DRP's constantly (yesterday i made 5 of them) Davinci projects and related autosaves can be unstable, even backing up the entire database has resualted in a faliure to restore - DRP's are solid

Return to DaVinci Resolve