Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

Re: Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

PostMon May 15, 2017 5:17 am

having spent a couple hours with the mini I jus bought -

Screens - power off, ability to set at least one to TGA / JPG / TIFF to display your name, co, whatever, change blue BG to gray, ability to dim screens, sleep mode

Rings / Wheels. the wheels feel VERY heavy. this is coming from Avid Artist Color that I really like the wheels on. Wish there would be option for rings to be replaced with ALT SET that have outer concave surface or flat top with slight outward angle, about 1/2 the height and weight.

Alt wheel / ball mode : Control mode ! Mouse track ball mode on right most wheel, while left most wheel worked as Jog / Shuttle control.

Set User Mode on screens to Memories mode to set / apply at least the first 8 mems. only artist color did this and I miss it already.

ability to change the default rotary controls. never use Hue or Lum Mix so thats 2 very wasted controls for me. Would totally want to set them to Temp and Highlight SoftClip that I do use, especially Highlight SoftClip. In fact I plan to set user screen to those 2 controls as soon as its possible to set up those screens.

I see other folks wish those knobs where set to other things too. So rather than get stuck in what came from the factory which wasn't a all bad picks, accept that different users will use different controls more than others. So just let us map the knobs to the controls we want. I can afford some Gold on Black label maker tape ;) I guess in V2 these get OLED labels :)

Case : As has been noted, powder coat the bottom / sides black because reflections are bad on screens. Guess us early adopters will have the special silver edition.

Add 100mm VESA holes onto bottom of unit. When doing DIT thing unit can then be mounted on regular LCD arm by turning the mount flat. ANYTHING that gets the panel up out of harms way of coffee and water is a VERY VERY good thing!
S

steve oakley

PostMon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm

mattfezz wrote:
2) As mentioned before - screens are too bight for me by default - a brightness setting would be welcome. It would also be awesome to have an option to have a grey background rather than the blueish.

Go to Settings / Panels and adjust LCD brightness, second slider from bottom. Set it in the range of 4-7 is about right depending on environment.

S
S

Brandon Kraemer

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

I think a huge miss is not backlighting the labels on the row of knobs just above the trackballs. YLift -> Lum Mix... no way I can read what those are.

A/C sort mode is very nice to have.

Not being able to wipe a still... crazy.

Mardy Dep

PostThu May 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Peter and team, what is the status of all these suggestions? I feel the lack of the using the rings as jog wheel in the edit window is a big oversight and should be an easy add.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 3:33 am

Everyone is working on v15 beta so panel update ideas are not on the short list till we GM v15
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 am

Kelly Reese wrote:
Paul Provost wrote:...whenever I used Log mode on the Advanced panels, I ALWAYS would forget which mode I was in. Very annoying.

All of the Advanced Panel soft keys change in Log mode, so the moment you see the wrong menus, you just hit MAIN and go back to LGG. It's much more obvious than it is on the Mini Panel (at least to me).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mardy Dep

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Everyone is working on v15 beta so panel update ideas are not on the short list till we GM v15

Peter, I do understand, but this thread was created over a year ago. These suggestions are about 12-13 months old. The most requested feature, which is to have one of the rings act as a jog wheel, has been requested since the launch of the product back in early 2017. I am not asking for every single feature, but there have been 0 since launch and with resolve more and more being pushed as an all around NLE, having a simple mapping of the left and right arrow to a ring to act as a job during edits, seems like something that should not take over a year to implement. Again, I understand you guys are busy, but it’s been over a year.

Marcus Lindstrom

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 6:58 pm

My Mini Panel arrived today and I'm more that happy with it. I was concerned about the extra space in front of the track balls/wheels (compared to Avid Artist Color/Tangent) but since this panel is higher it makes perfectly sense to have the bottom of my palms rested on it while working. Without that my wrists would definitely hurt, thanks BM! :)

Now for some suggestions..

- Outside serial node?
That is probably my most used one after serial and parallel. Would love to create it by just holding down the serial key on the panel.

- Reset current tab/palette section.
Sure I can reset the node but if have qualified an area and I'm working on my primaries and want to start over, it should be a reset button for that without deleting my qualifier. Maybe on one of the soft buttons over the LCD, it seems to be at least one free on every palette section?

- The soft keys that brightens up when in use should be even MORE brighter than the rest. Right now it is sometimes hard to see if, for example, the offset is on or not.. I don't like having to take an extra look just to be sure.

- The control knobs should, as all other buttons do, take me to the correct palette. Turning the Pivot should take me to the primaries.

- User selectable buttons. Imagine having the Printer Lights on the "Quick selected buttons" on the right. 8-)

- Button to manually turn off LCD and key lights. Use one of the LCD soft keys next to "network" and "about"?

- Holding down the "Play Still" button should "Apply Grade".

- Holding down the Disable button should Delete Current Node.

- Holding down the Highlight button should show Highlight B&W

(- Pushing the Offset button (over my track balls) doesn't take me to the offset section on the LCD, is it a bug? Since the Log button does just that.)

Thank you! :)
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Sony Trimaster EL PVM 250
DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel
BM Ultrastudio Express
Pegasus R6
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve