Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nicolas Horne

Re: Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Pepijn Klijs wrote:- sensitivy on the balls. -

do you mean that when you go to project settings > control panels and change RGB from default 50 to 1, the balls are still too sensitive?
i wish it would be a system wide feature that alt- [parameter] would do fine, shift- would do coarse
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

Pepijn Klijs

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Nicolas Horne wrote:
Pepijn Klijs wrote:- sensitivy on the balls. -

do you mean that when you go to project settings > control panels and change RGB from default 50 to 1, the balls are still too sensitive?
yes

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 pm

i have mine set to 30. 1 is way too fine - for me...
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Maybe there will be more panels to come, with edit/transport controls. In the mean time, I'm putting the things I like which were left out on Xkeys.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Nicolas Horne

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Paul Provost wrote:.. and a free travel case included! ..

do you have a picture of that? can't wait till my panel arrives!
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

Pepijn Klijs

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Paul Provost wrote:i have mine set to 30. 1 is way too fine - for me...
of course, this is about personal preference. My motor skills aren't as good as the average maybe, so I like to make bigger movements with the balls. But what isn't personal taste is the sensitivity scale. At 1 the balls are still useable but at 100 they are very far from. So my point is to adjust the scale a bit so the whole range - 1-100 - can be used.

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:03 pm

fair point. 100 is an acid trip for sure.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Nicolas Horne wrote:

was kind of joking but the box it ships in is very compact/durable and has a handle. it would work.
voila! travel case...
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Nicolas Horne

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:48 pm

Paul Provost wrote:
Nicolas Horne wrote:

travel case...

actually seems it fits a standard cabin trolley..

Robert Arnold

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 pm

After a week on the mini panel, I'm mostly very happy (see my suggestions in an above post), but the lack of a way to control the wiping of stills from the panel is REALLY bumming me out....

Pepijn Klijs

Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a suggestion. Many people have asked for contrast and pivot to be on the rings in offset mode, where tint and temp are right now. But what if you map contrast and pivot to the vertical axis of the first two balls (in offset mode), since they have no function currently in offset mode.

Blase Theodore

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Fantastic panel.

My request:
Currently within curves (other than "custom"), soft knobs 1-6 are assigned to a preset color or position. And knob 8 slides any selected point horizontally.

Currently knob7 is unused. I would like knob 7 to move any selected point (including custom) vertically. So as an example, within hue vs hue, I could click the sky with the qualifier, get the exact hue I need, and then adjust it both vertically and horizontally with knobs 7 & 8. Using the cyan or blue preset is rarely as accurate as simply using the qualifier, so its not a valid substitute.

Thanks for reading,
Blase

Toby Kahler

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

I am a little bit confused that nobody except me is missing a "power on/off" button.

Do you guys let the panel powered day and night? Or do you really pull the cable after each use?
www.motionctrl.de | www.toby-kahler.com
facebook.com/motionctrl

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Toby Kahler wrote:I am a little bit confused that nobody except me is missing a "power on/off" button.

Do you guys let the panel powered day and night? Or do you really pull the cable after each use?

has been mentioned, yes, a power Button...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Maciej Frydrych

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm

After few mor days working with mini panel a have another sugestion.

-In Custome curves it will be great if point can move horizontal like for example hue vs. sat.
-Next little thing is delete point in curves. Now we can reset points but if we can press knob for longer this will delete point.
-Sub menu could be loop trought - this little thing can save time and button click.

Thanks,
Maciek
Gigabyte x299 Designare EX- i9 - 16 core - 64GB RAM - Dual 1080 Ti - Areca 10 x 3Tb Raid 6. Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Resolve Studio 18.0.3 - BMD Decklink 4K Extreme- FSI CM250 - LG 55''OLED (lutbox) - BMD Mini Panel -BMD SmartScopeDuo 4K

Paul Provost

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 am

Edit for Paul as previous post moved -----
mcp.php?i=main&mode=topic_view&f=21&t=57604
----edit

probably not the right forum to post this. Maybe start a new thread?
but the Tangent app does work and I've used it in a pinch.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Dermot Shane

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Pepijn Klijs wrote:I have a suggestion. Many people have asked for contrast and pivot to be on the rings in offset mode, where tint and temp are right now. But what if you map contrast and pivot to the vertical axis of the first two balls (in offset mode), since they have no function currently in offset mode.

Mapping pivot to a ball works for me, haveing hue offsets for constrast is pretty usefull tho, the same with sat...

Paul Steinberg

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Scott Stacy wrote:
Future: add-on ethernet connected modular panels that would have more options like memory buttons and other popular functions that you cannot add onto the existing panel

Great idea! I'll second that motion.

Paul Steinberg csc
Toronto |+| Canada
Paul Steinberg csc
Toronto |+|Canada

Win11Pro. AMD 64 Core Threadripper 3990x, 128Gb RAM, Dual nVidia RTX 3090, Ultrastudio 4K mini, MotuM2, Thunderbolt 3, internal NVME PCI RAID (source) external thunderbolt RAID (target)

Robert Arnold

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 am

It would be AMAZING if one could pull up Edit sizing on the panel, then switch to the Editing interface and resize/move/flop clips while looking at the reference! In fact, it would be even better if switching to the Editing interface caused a whole new set of editing functions to show up on the panel. Imagine not only sizing but opacity, cropping, etc on those soft knobs!

Also, I for one am totally content with those dedicated contrast and pivot knobs and I like having Temp and Tint on the rings in Offset mode. Offset mode is really rocking my world.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 am

Robert Arnold wrote:It would be AMAZING if one could pull up Edit sizing on the panel, then switch to the Editing interface and resize/move/flop clips while looking at the reference!

Yeah, I think there are issues with getting any panel functions to work outside of Color mode, except for play, stop, next clip, previous clip, first frame, and last frame. I have a macro panel that will Split a clip, and that works in both Edit and Color.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

mattfezz

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 am

Got the panel today, really like it! Great work to the team. Having 3 displays would have been nice, but hey I'm sure there are many many reasons it is designed the way it is :-).

I did notice a few of the knobs a bit "grainier" than the others - not a big deal - just wondering if anyone else has that? Some knobs are incredibly smooth. Just a bit inconsistent on the panel I have.

Only other critique is there are no version buttons and no reference wipe :-(.

Couple of suggestions:

1) adjusting color boost/shadow/highlight etc switches primary UI into "2" (adjustments I think it used to be called?). Adjusting hue/sat/lum mix switches it to "1". It is just handy to see the values as you adjust them sometimes and I find myself in the wrong setting seemingly all the time :p.

2) As mentioned before - screens are too bight for me by default - a brightness setting would be welcome. It would also be awesome to have an option to have a grey background rather than the blueish.

3) Use the spare button in the tracker panel to switch it to stabilise mode? - This might be a bit more complicated than I think though.

4) Mentioned plenty - but maybe holding home powers down the panel?

5) Have an option for the panel not to control resolve when app not in foreground.

6) Mentioned plenty also, but I will be your best friend forever if you make play and rewind behave like j/k/l.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Nicolas Horne

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 pm

mattfezz wrote:Got the panel today,

what date did you order? i ordered and paid on the 13th, still impatient like a child ;)

mattfezz

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Nicolas Horne wrote:

what date did you order? i ordered and paid on the 13th, still impatient like a child ;)

I ordered March 8. They estimated about 4 weeks, and so I was surprised when it arrived early.

After a few days with it now, I definitely prefer it to the element and while it doesn't have as many features as the advanced, the way it operates in some ways is a lot more logical (to me) and faster (smaller and simpler form factor helps a bit too).
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini

Rami Abou Fakher

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 am

I just get the Mini panel today but for silly reason I can't power it :lol: NO POWER CABLE
I never expect that.

mattfezz

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 am

weird, in aus mine came with a a power cable + usb cable.

Nicolas Horne

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:05 pm

mattfezz wrote:
Nicolas Horne wrote:

.. I ordered March 8. They estimated about 4 weeks, ..
got the message just now that mine is being sent today

Lee Gauthier

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

FWIW, someone at work contacted BMD, and tech support said in USA, an ordinary IEC C13-NEMA 5-15P cable will work.

You probably have a dozen lying around like we do.

Rami Abou Fakher

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 pm

there is in liner window 4 sides softness control but in Mini Panel only 2 sides I hope to add the other 2 in next update

Mark Sterne

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Rami Abou Fakher wrote:there is in liner window 4 sides softness control but in Mini Panel only 2 sides I hope to add the other 2 in next update

They are on the next page, maybe it's called the Tools page on that screen, I'm not in front of it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rami Abou Fakher

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Mark Sterne wrote:
Rami Abou Fakher wrote:there is in liner window 4 sides softness control but in Mini Panel only 2 sides I hope to add the other 2 in next update

They are on the next page, maybe it's called the Tools page on that screen, I'm not in front of it right now.

I press to next page but there are no action

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rami Abou Fakher

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 12:07 am

Mark Sterne wrote:

You are right it's in the tool page
Thank you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rami Abou Fakher

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 8:33 am

Hi
In the custom curve i can lift the black point and drop the white point but i can't make the opposite.
Is there a way to do it without using the mouse ?
thanks

Robin Erard

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello,

I graded 3 features documentaries this month, 2 with Tangent Element and the third one with Mini Panel. The Mini Panel is close to be better, but not yet... A small update will be useful :

- Delete node button (very important in my opinion)

- Reset all grade button (I use that very often)

- Add Keyframe button (Static and Dynamic) (very very important in my opinion) And it should be accessible at anytime without entering in a menu.

- "Add version" button, and buttons to switch between versions.

- Wipe function when we use a Still, maybe you could add this wipe function into Sizing=>Reference menu, on an unused knob. On Tangent Element, they use the 4th wheel for that (very very very useful and important)

- In Qualifier mode for Saturation and Luminance, you should change the order. Now it's Low, High, Low soft, High Soft, but it would be clearer to be Low, low soft, High, High Soft

- In curve mode (very good indeed), It would be good to be able to change the target value (0% 10% etc...), or to use a knob to move the selected point along the curve (like you did in other curves mode)

I know Mini Panel isn't the Advanced Panel, but these functions are the minimum it should be able to do. Like Tangent Element.

The Panel itself is very well design, like a swiss watch (where I come from)

Best

Robin
Robin Erard
www.rougegorge-postproduction.ch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2831668/
Colorist, director, editor
Nord 13, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland

Paul Provost

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 am

It should come with black cloth tape to cover the chrome trim in back as it reflects back onto your grading monitor screen. That's not good.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Marc Wielage

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 am

Paul Provost wrote:It should come with black cloth tape to cover the chrome trim in back as it reflects back onto your grading monitor screen. That's not good.

I literally have black cloth hanging on my table at this very moment to cut down on reflections. Eh, I've done that before in different DI theaters before. Occupational hazard.

Paul Provost

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm considering it an easily fixed bad design flaw in an otherwise flawless piece of gear
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Pete Grayson

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 am

I would love a fitted Blackmagic dust cover, to cover the mini panel when it's not in use.

Thibault Dejoux

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:51 pm

*Display screen brightness should be editable.
Screens are really to bright.

Leo Fallas

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:39 am

Hi how can I power off my mini panel. Just got it today.

Thanks.

Paul Provost

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:57 am

Throw the main circuit breaker on your house
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Leo Fallas

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:58 am

So the mini panel will be on all the time ???

Paul Provost

PostTue May 02, 2017 2:07 am

Yes like many BMD products.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Kelly Reese

PostTue May 02, 2017 2:50 am

I left an Advanced panel on for like 5 years, but it had a screensaver. I think it did burn through the custom color buttons a bit, though.

Mark Sterne

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:12 am

I would like a screen saver, unless screen burn in is no longer a thing.

Lee Gauthier

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:47 pm

changula wrote:So the mini panel will be on all the time ???

For US$12, Amazon will send you this wireless switch to install between the Panel's plug and your mains. Click the button on the remote, and the panel turns off.

Paul Provost

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:02 pm

I just unplug the cable on the back if I know it's going to be off for more than a day
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Danny Phillips

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I've got a little power board under the side of my desk, opposite from clients, that I've plugged mine into along with other peripherals (LUT box, Ultra Studio etc), that can be turned on or off easily..!

Paul Provost

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:29 pm

turbofan farm. you wear those headphones airport runway guys have on?
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Danny Phillips

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Yeah..! Remember "Flyaway" in Vegas..?

I've got a fairly long cables that get the Ultra Studio a little bit away from me, but man it's pretty loud for simple signal conversion..!

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 03, 2017 5:56 am

Paul Provost wrote:I just unplug the cable on the back if I know it's going to be off for more than a day

Get one of these Powerhouse TM751 X10 receivers:

You can one of those plus an X10 remote controller for maybe $25-$30 total, and that will let you remotely turn off anything connected to AC. Works fine.

In the days when we had a lot of rack-mounted Dolbys and other gear in the color room, we'd use switched Furman AC strips to turn everything on and off as required. Dolby was another company that was reluctant to put power switches in their gear. The fans were annoying.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve