Dual Card Recording but only use one card on timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rick.lang

Dual Card Recording but only use one card on timeline

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Long ago we were told if you wanted to record raw on two cards, you have the option to use only one card, treating the second card as redundant data for a backup. Yesterday I used dual Card recording for 90 minutes with a project rate of 30 fps and a sensor rate of 60 fps. I intended to only use the data from one card most of the time and occasionally use the data from both cards to give a slow motion effect. However I'm unable to get rid of the spinning beachball on the Resolve Media page as having only the clips for frame 0, 2, 4, etc. seem to have thrown Resolve into a long looping cycle.

When I copy all frames from both cards into the proper folders, everything comes up fine and quickly, but then my whole film is in slow motion. I only want the tasty bits to be in slow motion and planned to copy those frames from the second card as needed.

Any idea how I can actually work in Resolve with only the even or odd frames?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

Re: Dual Card Recording but only use one card on timeline

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 am

Alternatively since the original question hasn't been answered: it may be my only solution is adding all raw frames from both cards (60 fps then) into each clip folder and using retiming on a 30 fps timeline to speed up the majority of the frames so they play back normally and leave the parts I want in slow motion as is. That way I can use most of the audio that was recorded at 30 fps and only have gaps in the audio for the few slow motion parts. Is that the most efficacious solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

This saga in futility continues. So on my first clip, with the timeline at 29.97 fps, I took the Clip menu option to change my playback speed by selecting 200% playback. Resolve brought up the spinning beachball and I Force Quit the program after a couple of hours! Now I'll try the Retime option rather than changing the playback speed.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 pm

No idea why I experienced those problems and even a complete crash. I restarted my iMac and everything worked quickly and flawlessly. When in doubt, reboot.

Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve