Some help with Multicam editing please!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Mustardé

Some help with Multicam editing please!

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi. I am new to editing and am getting tied in knots trying to edit a simple interview I have just shot. I shot the interview in four sections (to keep the video files within the usual DSLR limits, let the 600D cool down, give interviewee a break, e.t.c.) and for each I have an external audio file from a lav mic & Zoom recorder and two camera angles (both with guide audio tracks). So I have 12 files in all. I want to:
a) Be able to use the Multicam editing feature in Resolve 12.5 to switch back and forth between the two camera angles during the answers throughout the interview
b) Use the lav mic audio rather than either of the guide audio tracks from the camera
c) Chop out whole sections of the interview where I am asking the questions or the interviewee makes a mistake
d) Move some sections around - in other words change the order of some of the answers, even to the point of putting for example some answers from interview section C before answers in interview section A

Could someone suggest a workflow? I have tried doing it in various ways, but either I cant hear the audio when doing the multicam edit, or I cant see where to chop out sections when looking at the closed multicam clips on the timeline & various other problems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to DaVinci Resolve