Power Windows, Edit Sizing & "Disable edit and input sizing"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mel Matsuoka

Power Windows, Edit Sizing & "Disable edit and input sizing"

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:59 am

I think I may have painted myself in a corner on a project I'm working on. Please advise me if I am screwed...

The client gave me a Premiere sequence of a relatively simple, "Picture in Picture" style edit, using 6k R3D source clips, in a 1920x1080 timeline. The editor pushed in, repo'ed and cropped the clips at varying levels, so there isn't a uniform scale or Transform applied to the clips.

Resolve did a surprisingly accurate job in translating the XML from Premiere. All the crops and repos translated perfectly. Because the client wanted to be able to grade the PiP shots in a spatial context, I just left all the crops and sizing where they were, and graded the session to our satisfaction.

Now it turns out that the client needs to deliver additional, oddly shaped outputs for retail displays (various non 16x9 display aspects). This will require different cropping and repositioning of the clips, in order to accommodate the weird display aspects.

So we got to thinking that the best way around this, without having to re-invent the wheel, is to just render out all of the clips at their native, 6K source resolution (without any of the cropping or transforms baked in), so that he can just repo and re-crop the graded 6k renders in After Effects or Premiere.

But when I rendered the clips at 6k (with "Render at Source Resolution" and "Disable edit and input sizing" enabled), all of my Power Windows all rendered significantly out of alignment with the original positions that they were when in the working 1920x1080 timeline resolution. This made a large portion of the 6k renders effectively unusable.

Is there any way out of this pickle, besides manually repositioning all the windows in a 6k timeline by hand?
Last edited by Mel Matsuoka on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

danielstonehouse

Re: Power Windows, Edit Sizing & "Disable edit and input siz

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:48 am

Unfortunately this has been a problem for some time. I would estimate that 90% of the projects I deliver I am rendering to individual clips with no transforms at source res. So despite the promise of accurate scaling from premiere via XML, I learnt quickly that I was better off manually matching scaling to an offline reference clip in Resolve.

It's really unacceptable that tracking windows can offset their position under any circumstances - we should be able to use all of Resolves tools with confidence - there are still far too many ways windows can offset.

It would be ideal if windows attributes were stored internally relative to the pixel dimensions of the source footage - it should not be influenced by project resolution, CinemaScope or other non square aspect ratio, edit sizing or scaling preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Lucas

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 pm

This remains a problem, which makes using any sort of power window basically incompatible with editing in proxy mode. One switch to a lower resolution proxy mode and power windows are knocked out of place.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 am

Mel, can you backup your project and try 14.2. We improved a lot of the res/windows sizing issues in that release and unless this is one of the few corner cases we are still working on 14.2 should help.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 6:32 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Mel, can you backup your project and try 14.2. We improved a lot of the res/windows sizing issues in that release and unless this is one of the few corner cases we are still working on 14.2 should help.

Hi Peter,

I'm having a similar issue.

I have a FCPX XML with mixed frame sizes HD, UHD & 4K DJI Phantom.
The project and timeline are HD 25P.
The 4K DJI Phantom clips import as scaled to 1.080 H & V as this was scaled in FCPX to fit the 16:9 HD timeline.
Power windows are mis-aligned when tracking objects on the 4K DJI Phantom clips.
The window outlines are correctly aligned but the effect on the image is incorrectly aligned.
I found that if I disable the edit sizing controls in the EDIT page, then do the tracking again, it tracks correctly. I re-enabled the edit sizing controls and the windows are still correctly aligned.

This seems like an issue that could be fixed!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joshua Lucas

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Still seeing the same problem in 14.2 with power windows not respecting proxy mode.

seanross67

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 pm

I have been burned by that problem a lot. My latest problem is I am working in cinemascope, and have my r3d files pixel aspect ratio set up to cinemascope, and my windows won't track properly, and I can't imagine they will output correctly. I am going to have to render my clips out unsquished and hope for the best. That means a lot of server space.
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve