Eizo calibration question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Deburchgrave

Eizo calibration question

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm using the Eizo CG2420 as a grading monitor with Resolve. It's connected to my iMac with the UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt-HDMI. Now I want to calibrate the monitor with Color Navigator but I can't find a way to do that through the Mini Monitor connection, only trough the Display Port connection. But then I can only create a calibration on CAL 2 of the monitor (Display Port input) and not on CAL 3 (HDMI input).
Any advise on how to solve this?

CarlosNino

Re: Eizo calibration question

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this can help but maybe it can give you a clue:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201177

Tom Deburchgrave

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks for the reply. But the Ultrastudio mini monitor isn't designed to ouput the garphics card signal of the iMac. So I'm wondering how I can possibly calibrate my Eizo display with Color Navigator on the HDMI input (Cal3), the input that Resolve uses. There is no info about that on the Eizo site. How do you guys do that?

jerrygladh

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 am

Well, I use the Ultrastudio 4k and Eizo CG-318 but I think its the same procedure.

And I use Colornavigator NX for more control.

Use DisplayPort to your computer. In Colornavigator advanced tab there is an option "standard calibration" that will calibrate all your modes.

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

Tom Deburchgrave

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you very much for sharing that advice, Jerry. That works indeed. But doesn't the fact that you are calibrating the monitor using the Display port affect the result? I mean Display port uses RGB and HDMI uses YUV for instance.

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 am

ColorNavigator does a hardware calibration that is more or less independent from the input or software used.

But I do calibrate and measure with the input from my Mini Monitor and Resolve. No problem here...
You need to connect the USB cables!

jerrygladh

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 am

Look at the NX-version of CN. Will give you expanded options and
saves the calibration in the monitor.

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

dirk-pel

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Erik,
I have also the Eizo but don't understand how you did the calibration, please give me a hint!

"But I do calibrate and measure with the input from my Mini Monitor and Resolve. No problem here...
You need to connect the USB cables!"

Thanks in advance

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 19 Beta Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

bruce alan greene

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 am

Tom Deburchgrave wrote:I'm using the Eizo CG2420 as a grading monitor with Resolve. It's connected to my iMac with the UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt-HDMI. Now I want to calibrate the monitor with Color Navigator but I can't find a way to do that through the Mini Monitor connection, only trough the Display Port connection. But then I can only create a calibration on CAL 2 of the monitor (Display Port input) and not on CAL 3 (HDMI input).

Why not get a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and connect it to your display. They run ColorNavigator to calibrate the display in CAL3.

They seem to cost only $25.

I have an older Eizo that doesn't segregate the CAL slots by connector type and the display port calibration works fine when connected to the HDMI from my Decklink card.

Because you may need to calibrate over HDMI, you might need to set your Eizo video levels input first, but I'm not sure what will come through the HDMI adapter. If you do need to do this, make sure your mini monitor output is set to video levels as well.

For me, I calibrate my older Eizo with Color Navigator NX for "color space = native" (maximum gamut) and then create a 3d display LUT using DisplayCal software and my iOne Display pro probe. I load the 3d display LUT in Resolve and connect the HDMI cable from the decklink card to the display. DisplayCal works with Resolve to calibrate the display directly through the mini monitor/decklink device using the same connections that will be used to transmit your video to your display. You can also use Calman or Lightspace software through resolve/mini monitor instead of the open source DisplayCal.

Krishna Pada

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 am

Your monitor has a hardware calibrator inbuilt. And it can calibrate on its own with the probe that sticks out from the monitor when you are calibrating.

1. Connect the monitor with HDMI cable from your Blackmagic I/O device.
2. Put the colour gamut, gamma, brightness as you would like to see.
3. Go to calibrate. Instead of auto calibration use the full calibration mode. Start the calibration process.
4. It takes about an hour for the full calibration to happen. The initial 25 mins are for warming up the monitor to make it ready for calibration. After the warming up is complete, you will see colours being generated on your monitor automatically. The small probe will continue working till it adjusts the monitor internally and automatically.
5. After full calibration your monitor is ready to go.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Erik Wittbusch

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:00 am

Without USB connection, ColorNavigator does not work when using a Decklink/UltraStudio.

Load the latest ColorNavigator V7 which combines the NX functionality with the standard version.

The make a custom profile with the settings you like and calibrate. It takes no longer than 5 minutes.

dirk-pel

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you very much Erik, it's ok now.
It's a little bit tricky but the result is very good.

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 19 Beta Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Myron Hobizal

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 am

Nevermind, got my Eizo CG2420 calibrated through Mini Monitor 4k, but looking to get a MicroConverter SDI to HDMI to load a 3D LUT.

The current issue, is the CG2420 calibrated using CN v7 okay at 100nits. But when I use ColorMatch to verify the results, it shows awful grey level response Max Delta 2.7, and 80nits lum. Why would CALMan show only 80nits, when I calibrated to 100nits?
Last edited by Myron Hobizal on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dirk-pel

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I've used the Colornavigator 7 to calibrate my CS2420 but there is no possibility to do this for REC.709, so I used sRGB as practicle the same.
The result with the Colornavigator was not so good as I hoped.
Then I did it with the french program HCFR, here the results.
Now the question is which method is the best.
I have only FHD material no UHD.
With the custom calibration from the Colornavigator 7 green and red are far away from the right point on the color triangle.
Thanks in advance for answers.

Dirk PEL
Attachments
IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2803.jpeg (401.63 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
IMG_2802.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg (283.44 KiB) Viewed 4877 times

Myron Hobizal

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 5:08 pm

I am unsure whether to set the Eizo "Input Range" to "Full" or "Limited" before calibration with CN7.

Page 30 of the Eizo manual states:
"Full" = "The input signal brightness range is NOT extended"
"Limited" = "The brightness range of the input signal is extended from 64-940 to 0-1023"

This seems backward terminology. Usually in video terms, "Limited" means a range of 16-235(64-940) and "Full" 0-255(0-1023). I have Resolve set to Video Levels (16-235) and want to calibrate the monitor to Video levels too. Does Eizo's definition of "Full" mean the monitor is using 16-235 (64-940)?

colourdesk

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 12:13 am

Tom Deburchgrave wrote:I'm using the Eizo CG2420 as a grading monitor with Resolve. It's connected to my iMac with the UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt-HDMI. Now I want to calibrate the monitor with Color Navigator but I can't find a way to do that through the Mini Monitor connection, only trough the Display Port connection. But then I can only create a calibration on CAL 2 of the monitor (Display Port input) and not on CAL 3 (HDMI input).

Hi Tom,

I just stumbled upon this thread (perhaps a few years too late) but thought I'd mention some things. I own a CG246. Using my Ultrastudio 3D's SDI outputs, I'm outputting to a BMD Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G, then outputting the converted signal to the Eizo CG246 via its HDMI connector.

The customisable modes or "CAL settings" are not assigned to the connectors - ie, CAL1 is not assigned to HDMI, CAL2 is not assigned to Display Port etc. These modes are just inbuilt presets, with 3 of them on the CG246 being customisable via the ColorNavigator 7 software.

To use the ColorNavigator 7 software, I connect via Display Port and USB connection.

The signal connection does not effect the calibration targets your Eizo receives from the software. My understanding is that the computer is sending these calibration targets to the Eizo via the USB connection (which is why it's essential for the USB to be connected for the ColorNavigator 7 software to launch).

From memory, all CG-prefixed monitors have an inbuilt calibrator.

You can download REC709-HD Broadcasting calibration targets from the eizocolor.com website (link here) to use with the ColorNavigator 7 software. Specifically, I use the REC709 BT1886 100cd 6500K 2.40 calibration target as recommended by Eizo.

After the calibration (which I do at least once a month) I quit the ColorNavigator 7 software, change my signal from Display Port to HDMI and boot DaVinci Resolve. The UltraStudio and Desktop Video software takes over from there.

I hope that this has been helpful and if I'm missing anything or could be doing things more effectively myself, please do share.

Return to DaVinci Resolve