No CUDA in $499 MacAppStore Resolve, makes Mac a dull boy.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreeMarkefors

No CUDA in $499 MacAppStore Resolve, makes Mac a dull boy.

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 am

Hi, Blackmagic!

You sell a software on your homepage called DaVinci Resolve Studio. And you give a (large) subset of that software away for free, under a slightly different name: DaVinci Resolve.

I think the free version is a very generous offer with great functionality. When the included features aren't enough (NR, dual GPUs and so on) one can buy the Studio version. Pay more, get more features. Nice and clean.

But then you have the DaVinci Resolve Studio that you sell via Mac AppStore. Compared to the "retail" $995 version, this $499 version seams like a great deal. The price should be an indication that it's not the same product and people who are familiar with DaVinci know the retail version gives you a dongle and multi OS compatibility. Seems like there could be $500 worth there.

What isn't as obvious is that an identically named software from you differs significantly in features on the software side whether you buy it from you or via Apple.

I recently invested in a 1080 Ti gfx card from Nvidia and was disappointed to learn that the MAS version doesn't allow the user to select CUDA under preferences. It's disappointing because it isn't clear to me how it can be included in the free version, then excluded in the MAS version, only to be included again in the Studio version. Make that the Studio version from BMD, not Apple. They're the same, except for the parts that aren't.

Had I still used my older MacBook Pro with an Nvidia discreet card, I would have been happy to have the CUDA option, so its not that there aren't ANY Macs (apart from custom builds) that could profit.

"Just use OpenCL". Yes, I would have preferred if that worked. I'm getting 58fps with my 1080 Ti card with 1NR node with CUDA (tested the free version with watermarked node), while I only get 7.5 fps with OpenCL. It might be the (official) Nvidia driver, or something else. But seeing that CUDA is already in the free version, I'd very much appreciate it if you would consider not dropping features for people who step up to the $500 level, instead of taking the free lunch.

Regardless, thanks for being as disruptive as you are.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: No CUDA in $499 MacAppStore Resolve, makes Mac a dull bo

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Don't do it. If the price is half, I'm always suspect something will go sideways..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

AndreeMarkefors

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I already have the MAS version since a while back and have been editing HD with a RX480.

The new Nvidia 1080 Ti cuts through 4k like butter in CUDA, but I can't use it in my "full" version. Have to use the free version in parallel, which is limited to UHD. Not ideal, since most of my clips are 4k DCI.

Alternative solution is Nvidia actually getting their OpenCL performance to within 90% of CUDA, but I'm not sure the motivation is there. Especially not for a couple of Mac nerds with old HW.

José Santos

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:50 pm

This is a really studid limitation!! Have you contacted support regarding this? Maybe it's a bug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean Claude

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 pm

If I understood correctly : Apple => OpenCL technology. Cuda? do not know :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Chip.Murphy

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 5:34 pm

IIRC it's the way Apple sandboxes apps in MAS that prohibits the inclusion of CUDA. Not a Blackmagic call, but Apple's.

AndreeMarkefors

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

I've had that thought myself, but it's only forum speculation until I see firm confirmation.

It's quite unfortunate, since even if I knew to look out for "differences" between versions, I didn't know CUDA was missing until I needed it. I sort of assumed stuff was added to the free version. Not that there was giving AND taking.

Sam Steti

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 am

Chip is right : MAS rules ban nvidia, and whatever goes against a strict sandbox, which is the main reason a lot of apps - not only Resolve but also smaller utilities - have to be re-written following specific and strict guidelines... You may have problems with OFX too, I think (to be checked), for their way of communicating might not fit either.

On the other hand, a big % of people who have quite a non upgradable mac (or upgradable with pain) like iMacs or MBP probably won't try difficult HW upgrade : for these people, an OpenCL-only version is enough after all, since they won't ever try cuda, and therefore they'll appreciate the rebate...

Now, what I agree is that the "compare" page here on BMD's site should also show differences between MAS and direct BMD site DL, not only free and studio.

And believe me, this is more important on the Fusion side, where it's sometimes more difficult to know what's excluded from the free version before you encounter watermarks at the end
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve